Rape Culture

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Rape Culture

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 pm

I think that culture is much more widespread than just Rape, often men aren't seen as victims of domestic violence ad sadly, in this case, rape!! I wonder if it has something to do with the males not wanting to b seen as victims or if todays society is still stuck on the notion of "Men must be big strong" and "Women soft and docile"!!

Rape in general should be taken seriously, it should be reported where possible and victims need to proudly stand up to get justice regardless if hey are a man or a woman etc
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 am

A woman, the actress Gauhar Khan, is slapped in India for being a Muslim and, in the attackers opinion, wearing a dress that was too revealing!! Find story here!!

So glad he was arrested I hate this culture of many thinking it is ok to treat women like this based on what they are wearing!!

EDIT: Here is more on the story!! According to this, he went on stage an tried to touch her and then slapped her when she resisted!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:20 am

Ugh. [sarcasm] Yeah, that's not creepy at all, India. Good job. [/sarcasm]

I am glad the authorities are doing something about it, though.

~~~

I read this story and it made me literally, physically ill. One warning - the story is highly graphic.

I applaud the UVA administration's closing of the fraternities on campus, but a.) it's too little, too late, and comes after a massive effort on the part of the administration itself to stonewall the story; and b.) in my own humble opinion it simply doesn't go far enough. It's the functional equivalent of a slap on the wrist.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:32 am

I have yet to finish this story WWD but I am already crying over it, this poor girl and her "friends" and we get to one of the hearts of the problem in society, people are too worried about what others might think!! Instead of getting these men prosecuted and getting this victim to a hospital to get evidence they're worried bout not being allowed in a Frat party again!!

Will edit this when I finish....

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:34 am

I got half way through and stopped appalled. I just had no idea...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm really sorry about that... This story is horrific, and I found I couldn't get all the way through it either on the first read.

But this sort of thing happens to so many young women on our college campuses, and it needs to stop. Closing the fraternities - permanently - would be a start. Don't give the young (mostly) men who are inclined to do something so depraved and evil the institutional support they need to feel they can get away with it.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Rape Culture

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:14 pm

I don't think I realised how awful fraternities are. We don't have them here and I've never been so pleased. I'm not saying we don't have gang rape here I just pray it's less wide spread and less institutionalised!

Also don't apologise WWD - it's important to be exposed to real life events like this.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:45 pm

Finally got through that very large article and it is very graphic but it is also very sad!! The fact that this happens is shockingly horrific and the fact that it is later covered up is also very shocking!!

This kind of behavior around victims means that when it happens to them, they become victims of social pressures as well because nobody wants to be the girl who cries "Rape" or nobody wants to b seen with someone who does and then the Victims spiral into turmoil that includes self medicating on drink and drugs so that, looking at them, who would really believe these people didn't just get wasted and ask for it??

There needs to be a new system new rules that these victims should be taken to hospitals right away and police should collect as much forensic evidence as possible from (sorry for crude) but vaginal/anal/anywhere bruising to DNA left over from finger tips to other areas!! By using delaying tactics, it lessens the likelihood that anyone will be prosecuted!!

One of the most sickening aspects of that article was that girl walked out of that house bruised and battered and bloodied and nobody said boo or came to help!! Who the hell does that?? I mean I get it if you try to help someone who is drunk and they are aggressive and fight you off, there's nothing much you can do but by her own admission, she ditched her drink once she realized there was alcohol in it, to just shrug and carry on is gut wrenching!!

Don't get me wrong, I get the whole College/University thing of "Yes I'm out on my own let's have fun" but the way these fraternities are done is just out of whack!! A house filled with just guys that are holding drinking parties and deciding ho gets to come to their parties?? No they need campuses with tighter security!! If the legal age is 21 then enforce it or lax if off a bit so kids don't feel the need to go to these parties where they are vulnerable!! As it stands it is allowing these cesspits to exist and honestly, while nobody's uni experience is perfect, mine certainly made me feel safe compared to this!! We drank in our Flat and then went out and danced in clubs with Bouncers and made sure we weren't alone!! Having to illegally drink in a house filled with Hormonal men who have beds upstairs....yeah no thanks!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby mendedties » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 pm

I want to spew every expletive I know in every language after reading that article.

How is stuff like this even possible? I don't understand.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby dan99990 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Whether this will make you all feel better or worse remains to be seen:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... s-20141205
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
dan99990
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs