Rape Culture

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Rape Culture

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:09 pm

SunXia wrote:Familiarize me with the persecution of the victim as I was aware that fans of the Club don't actually want Evans back, proof in a petition with 150'000 signatories??

She has had to change home and identity twice as it keeps being exposed and her house attacked.

And regards to cases like that, we have gotten into a culture of disbelieving the victim unless a guilty verdict is reached and then we believe them. You only have to look at the differences in how William Roach and Ralf Harris were both treated by media during their respective trials. I honestly still believe Roach is guilty but Ken Barlow the character is entwined so much with British television and culture that people just simply didn't want to believe it.

It is unusual given press usually love to say a person is guilty before trial. I remember the backlash when he was cleared (I don't recall the case itself) against the Crown Prosecution Service for "seeking famous names and not serving justice"
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:32 pm

The media love a story that well sell, convicted a man without trial does that but so does a story saying that someone was innocent and the legal system didn't do their job properly.

The only one thing you can absolutely 100% guarantee is that our media don't give one damn about justice.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:32 pm

"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:49 pm

That is a miscarriage or misapplication of justice is what that is, not 'rape culture'. At best, its merely a misunderstanding that men can't be raped. The court seemed to think the medication was a mitigating factor as well.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Sounds more like Statutory Rape and not actual rape as the discussion focuses more on "having sex" rather than her admitting she raped the teens against their will. Of course I am against it and I think she should be punished for it but they seem to be accepting her mentality caused by prescription drugs as a reason for it especially since it happened in such a short span of time.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:41 am

While one might speculate on whether a male would be accepted as due to medication, I don't think that case reflects culture. The cultural issues with males being raped seem rather different
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:

That is a miscarriage or misapplication of justice is what that is, not 'rape culture'. At best, its merely a misunderstanding that men can't be raped. The court seemed to think the medication was a mitigating factor as well.

It is rape culture when you look at all incidents of female on male rape, and take note of the sentencing which frequently are miscarriages of justice. Rape culture is the trivialization, rationalization or condoning of rape and other acts of sexual violence.

The fact that all three things are being done here is evidence of rape culture. Especially when one considers how things would be viewed if genders were reversed, and the perpetrator was a man who was on medication, and gave drugs and alcohol to teenage girls and then had sex with them. The cultural issues with men being raped is most certainly relevant to rape culture. The rape of men is trivialized both by the public and the media, it is often rationalized (their rapist was on medication or some other reason given for why "it's not really rape", where if a situation was reversed and it was a woman who was raped by a man, the man would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, rather than be given some kind of rationalization as to why he raped said woman), or condoned ("men cannot possibly say no to sex, ever").
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Aaron.K wrote:
It is rape culture when you look at all incidents of female on male rape, and take note of the sentencing which frequently are miscarriages of justice. Rape culture is the trivialization, rationalization or condoning of rape and other acts of sexual violence.

The fact that all three things are being done here is evidence of rape culture. Especially when one considers how things would be viewed if genders were reversed, and the perpetrator was a man who was on medication, and gave drugs and alcohol to teenage girls and then had sex with them. The cultural issues with men being raped is most certainly relevant to rape culture. The rape of men is trivialized both by the public and the media, it is often rationalized (their rapist was on medication or some other reason given for why "it's not really rape", where if a situation was reversed and it was a woman who was raped by a man, the man would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, rather than be given some kind of rationalization as to why he raped said woman), or condoned ("men cannot possibly say no to sex, ever").

From what I read of the case no one is trivializing or condoning the rape here. The rape isn't being treated as 'its no big deal'. The rape isn't being treated as 'these boys couldn't possibly say no'. As for it being rationalized I'm not sure that is per se happening here, either. The court is making a call on mitigating factors, much like they'd do in any other charge, based on the defendant's medication (which affects mental state). Do I agree with that? No. I guess my point wasn't to say, and I tried to point this out, that the lack of the concern over female on male rape isn't pertinent to the discussion. It was that his case isn't pertinent to the rape culture in the sense that isn't trying to normalize the abhorrent act of rape through societal attitudes. If that was the case, I would expect to see a more lax approach, such as nonsuit or a lesser charge rather than a guilty verdict with mitigating circumstances.

Again, not happy with the verdict. But I'm not happy when I see it in manslaughter cases either. Either way, perhaps I was too quick to try to define what is and what isn't 'rape culture'.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hansheng » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:09 am

I think Aaron is trying to highlight the double standard proponents of 'rape culture' are frequently guilty of. I think a better example can be found in the original article Sun Fin posted where the author wrote that 99 percent of rapists are men. The source for that figure is the Center for Disease Control’s National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey that found, in the United States in 2010, 1,270,000 women were victims of 'completed or attempted forced penetration' without consent and that 98 percent reported a male perpetrator. The exact same study also found 1,267,000 men were 'made to penetrate' without consent with 79 percent reporting a female perpetrator. The study however only classified the women as victims of 'rape' while the men were classified as victims of 'other sexual violence'.

Being penetrated or being made to penetrate another without consent are both legally considered to be rape by all 50 state's as well as by the FBI, yet the authors of this study chose to make a distinction between the two acts. What this all boils down to is that the authors of that study very subtly and deliberately erased male victimization of rape by using a definition that simply excludes men as victims and women as perpetrators. Its only 'rape' when its a man victimizing a women and 'other sexual violence' when it happens to men therefore all rapists are men. See how that works? If 'rape culture' is the trivialization of sexual violence then I think this is a perfect example.
Hansheng
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 pm

A very big welcome to the forum Hansheng

I agree that there is an unhealthy rape culture about men being raped ie that it doesn't exist or how the man must have wanted it
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs