Rape Culture

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Rape Culture

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Read the article and the retraction. Well, not sure I'd call it a retraction, per se.

I think it is extremely important, in considering that response from Rolling Stone, what remains standing in the article, as weighed alongside evidence coming in from all other angles across the United States. There is indeed a very large problem.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shozuhn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I can tell from the reaction to the link that I don't wanna click on it or read it.
I frequently walk around campus alone after hours. It has occurred to me that that there can always be some danger in doing so. I can think of one time when I did get scared, as a group of about 5 or 6 guys started whistling and saying sexual things. But they got no closer then about 30 yards. It did upset me. I'm beginning to think I should just carry mace on me or something. There are far too many people in this world that I find morally deplorable. I should probably take better care to protect myself from them. I mean... I don't drink or party with people I don't know. But sometimes that isn't enough. Sometimes people end up the victim of a random act of violence, despite not putting themselves in a bad position.
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 pm

James wrote:Read the article and the retraction. Well, not sure I'd call it a retraction, per se.

I think it is extremely important, in considering that response from Rolling Stone, what remains standing in the article, as weighed alongside evidence coming in from all other angles across the United States. There is indeed a very large problem.

I couldn't tell if it was actually a retraction, as the headlines call it, either. It seems RS was trying to cover their tracks unless there was a inconsistency which called their integrity into question, which is quite understandable. But nothing seems to have really come out, to our knowledge, that the stories told were fiction. Rather the author is still behind the original woman giving the account. Furthermore, nothing has come to light shedding doubt upon the other stories which spiraled out of the original shocking story. Specifically, i worry this 'retraction' will serve the interests of those seeking to derail the systemic problem which this article detailed. That is my biggest fear. Its a far dangerous foe that these four fraternity cretons, just because if we dont solve that problem it is sure to repeat itself.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Specifically, i worry this 'retraction' will serve the interests of those seeking to derail the systemic problem which this article detailed. That is my biggest fear. Its a far dangerous foe that these four fraternity cretons, just because if we dont solve that problem it is sure to repeat itself.

Agreed. And late to the game as I am in reading this story, I've already seen this 'retraction' being used in headlines to dismiss the whole thing as a mistake, or in discussions as a 'that story was a lie'. Heck, this morning on the news there was a blurb about the article discussion how it was retracted. I went back and read the headline a second time just to make sure we were reading the same thing...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:22 pm

That saddens me James, to no end. In saying this is a "retraction" it is basically using this article that mentions "discrepancies" to dismiss an overall issue and again gives people an excuse to blame the victim or accuse the victim(s) of lying.

In m view, there is always going to be "discrepancies" in situations like these a lot of the time because the victims are drugged or spiked or too drunk and other times because its bloody traumatic, she mentioned herself that she passed out.

The fact that he's not a member of the fraternity means what exactly? That she's automatically a liar? Do fraternities not have friends from another fraternity?

They're just covering themselves and people are turning it into "See she's a liar it doesn't happen."
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby dan99990 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:31 pm

And regardless of whether she is or is not lying in this case, it doesn't alter the reality that American women are more in danger of rape on college campuses than they are just about anywhere else. Something has to be done. (Just as something has to be done for male sexual assault victims, as that's another problem that tends to get swept under the rug.)
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
dan99990
Student

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:33 am

James wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:Specifically, i worry this 'retraction' will serve the interests of those seeking to derail the systemic problem which this article detailed. That is my biggest fear. Its a far dangerous foe that these four fraternity cretons, just because if we dont solve that problem it is sure to repeat itself.

Agreed. And late to the game as I am in reading this story, I've already seen this 'retraction' being used in headlines to dismiss the whole thing as a mistake, or in discussions as a 'that story was a lie'. Heck, this morning on the news there was a blurb about the article discussion how it was retracted. I went back and read the headline a second time just to make sure we were reading the same thing...

Thirded. (Fourthed?)

Actually, I fully agree with SunXia here, and am similarly dismayed by RS's official response. (Yes, I can understand them wanting to CYA/pass-the-lawyer and wanting to clarify possible comments which might be taken as libellous in another context, but the consequences for 'Jackie' are going to be dire, and the consequences more generally for university reforms to root out campus rape even worse.) The sorts of 'discrepancies' the RS follow-up mentions - inability to remember details or specific times or places - are actually very common in testimonies by people suffering from the after-effects of a highly traumatic experience, and actually aren't that uncommon in a lot of eyewitness testimony from mentally-sound people (even in a court of law, under oath); that doesn't mean at all that what they say happened to them didn't actually happen.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Shozuhn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:48 am

Y'all are scaring me with stuff such as this:

dan99990 wrote:American women are more in danger of rape on college campuses than they are just about anywhere else. Something has to be done.

I wasn't aware that it was such a common occurrence on college campuses. I'm definitely gonna have to buy me some mace or something...
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby dan99990 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Here are the stats, in case you want to look at them:

http://www.clevelandrapecrisis.org/reso ... e-campuses
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
dan99990
Student

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:23 am

I just went through all ten pages of this. I am truly horrified and enraged. Enraged that men would be that deplorable and despicable, horrified that so little victims report the rape.

I mean, I knew this sort of thing happens, I once made a point, back in High School, to keep a girl company in a dark parking lot until her parents arrived, I also didn't like it of any of my female friends went off alone. I was, in retrospect, rather protective of them. I knew what rape was, I knew how brutish men could be, and I didn't want any of the women I was friends with to go through something so horrific.

I am in agreement with the article, for the most part. I cannot agree more when it talks about the vulnerability of women, and I say its practically a necessity for them to treat every man they see like a potential rapist. It sounds harsh, but better to be safe than a victim.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Previous

Return to Current Affairs