2016 US Presidential Election Speculation

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I can see now where the misunderstanding comes from. I should have said “Only six Dems voted in favor of it”.

I was just surprised this became a partisan issue to such a degree after weeks of Dems voicing support for the unpaid workers.

That is true. But it's also possible Crenshaw knew this was going no where when the Senate is denying anything put forward by the House that doesn't fall in line w/ Trump's conditions. After all, this just continues the previous CR an doesn't really fix the issue.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:49 pm

How big a deal is State of the Union getting postponed and does it risk backlashing against the Democrats as too far?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm

As far as I can tell, it won’t be postponed. It’ll either be held in the House or not. If not, Trump will surely hold it elsewhere with or without Pelosi sitting behind him.

I think it’ll bite the Dems in the tukis. Some are celebrating Pelosi putting her foot down, but in my personal circles (which certainly aren’t conservative) I hear most calling her petty; if the Dems don’t show up, it’ll be a hard hit to the “The shut down is the Reps’ fault” narrative because most people will judge what they see (which is their absence).
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:How big a deal is State of the Union getting postponed and does it risk backlashing against the Democrats as too far?

Jia Nanfeng wrote:As far as I can tell, it won’t be postponed. It’ll either be held in the House or not. If not, Trump will surely hold it elsewhere with or without Pelosi sitting behind him.

Seems it shall be. And I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think most Americans know when a SoU speech is going to occur and most don't care much about it. I live reside in largely conservative circles and amongst largely conservative demographics and I think most see both parties being petty with their tactics re: the SoU and trips.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Looking for confirmation at moment, but hearing Trump and the Senate have decided made short term deal to re-open for a bit. Also not surprisingly heard contains no agreement for any wall funding. Good on both them really.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Live Bait » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Also I don't think they came up with an agreement to fix the outcome of the NFC Championship game. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/1/25/ ... ll-cassidy
Live Bait
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
Seems it shall be. And I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think most Americans know when a SoU speech is going to occur and most don't care much about it. I live reside in largely conservative circles and amongst largely conservative demographics and I think most see both parties being petty with their tactics re: the SoU and trips.

I assumed in US it was only a big deal when it happened and when it is visibly postponed rather then people remember the dates, I thought Statue of Union was huge when it did happen. Or only after an election?

From what little I'm seeing, Trump is getting flak from his side for the big fight and not getting the wall, Trump may need to do a bit of selling it towards his base. I wonder how public will react if a second shutdown in a few weeks if agreement isn't reached
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:

I assumed in US it was only a big deal when it happened and when it is visibly postponed rather then people remember the dates, I thought Statue of Union was huge when it did happen. Or only after an election?

From what little I'm seeing, Trump is getting flak from his side for the big fight and not getting the wall, Trump may need to do a bit of selling it towards his base. I wonder how public will react if a second shutdown in a few weeks if agreement isn't reached

He’s getting some flak for “giving up”, yeah. In 3 weeks he goes full national emergency mode and gets the wall anyway, though. At this point, as Ms. Sanders says, it’s a matter of whether the democrats get something with the wall or nothing with the wall. They seem certain the wall will definitely happen whether an agreement is met or not.

In other news, yesterday Trump donated $100K from his salary to alcoholism research. He’s always been a supporter of helping alcoholics, since his brother died from it a few decades ago.
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:

It's one of those things. People watch when they're told its on or if its their elected president. In my experience, most Americans of either stripe, do not pay much attention to such national addresses. Not saying no one does, of course.

Jia Nanfeng wrote:He’s getting some flak for “giving up”, yeah. In 3 weeks he goes full national emergency mode and gets the wall anyway, though. At this point, as Ms. Sanders says, it’s a matter of whether the democrats get something with the wall or nothing with the wall. They seem certain the wall will definitely happen whether an agreement is met or not.

I think the legal challenges, specifically what statues he bases his declaration of national emergency on will be very interesting and potentially stalled by legal challenge. I'd also be interested to what Congress, whom I understand has the power to block such a move (could be wrong), does. No matter how it plays out, what a sad move to have to make to accomplish an unpopular move to appease your base and what a precedent does this set.

In other news, yesterday Trump donated $100K from his salary to alcoholism research. He’s always been a supporter of helping alcoholics, since his brother died from it a few decades ago.

It is a nice move in any world. Then again the presidential salary is a pittance in relation to his economic worth. Nearly free PR.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 pm

You have to love when the leader of the executive branch and the leaders of the intelligence agencies openly disagree about the threats facing their nation, and when he then challenges their competency.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs