2016 US Presidential Election Speculation

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Sun Fin wrote:And the unreliability of Trump and America’s willingness to view us a weaker partner is exactly why we shouldn’t be leaving the EU.

That’s a fair point.
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:@James

I have a feeling that Trump would have said any deal that’s not complete removal from the EU would be a great deal for them. He’s retweeted Britain First in the past so he definitely wants ya’ll to go pure nationalist.

As for the trade, I’m unsure what will come of that. It’s hard to know with Trump whether it’ll be an empty threat or a promise. It may be a last-attempt effort to get her to change the deal somehow.

Trump is definitely not one to shy from insulting allies, even ones who have been only nice in return. He takes a “tough love” approach to our allies, especially when he perceives any weakness. From my view on this side of the pond, I’m not too surprised from his comments and even expected as much from him.

I’d advise May to ignore it, but that’d probably be the catalyst to making the above-mentioned threat into a promise. I don’t envy her having to navigate Trump’s art of the deal.

Fair point and yeah Britain First went down really badly (though I assume he wouldn't have the same knowledge we did of who they were)

I think Trump worries the deal means we can't make trade deal, UK government saying we still can (after transition). Whether UK and USA can actually do a deal.... there are a lot of issues and UK would really have to decide on it's future path, not sure UK is quite ready to face what other countries (not just US) will actually demand.

Thanks for explaining

UK government is pretty much gently saying he is wrong and carefully regretting what Trump is saying but in ways Trump would have to really know civil service speak to be annoyed.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:32 am

Thoughts in Trump declaring victory against IS and changing plans in Syria? I got the impression IS was still there but haven't been following it closely (or Trump s doing that to hide his longer term plans) and seems like he could have done with giving heads up to others
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Thoughts in Trump declaring victory against IS and changing plans in Syria? I got the impression IS was still there but haven't been following it closely (or Trump s doing that to hide his longer term plans) and seems like he could have done with giving heads up to others

It’s true that ISIS has been militarily defeated in Syria. They likely still exist in some fashion, but they don’t currently have a working army there. One of Trump’s campaign promises was to leave Syria once ISIS was defeated, so there was some heads up. It’s also very likely that various intelligence agencies were in contact about it before Trump announced it publicly.

My thoughts? Finally. It’s always welcome to end a war. I was never too happy about getting involved in Syria in the first place, but it’s hard to complain about ISIS being killed.

Honestly I don’t have much faith that the area will become stable after we leave. But that’s just its nature, it seems.
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Mattis gone, Trump going for record of senior staff leaving? :wink: It is not gone down well in UK, seen as the adult in the room and a restraint on Trump (which is seen as a great thing) and that he was willing to inform allies whereas Trump just made a major miliatry move without telling anyone. However with Trump and Mattis having genuine disagreement on foreign policy, hard to see how it could have gone on much longer.

Jia Nanfeng wrote:It’s true that ISIS has been militarily defeated in Syria. They likely still exist in some fashion, but they don’t currently have a working army there. One of Trump’s campaign promises was to leave Syria once ISIS was defeated, so there was some heads up. It’s also very likely that various intelligence agencies were in contact about it before Trump announced it publicly.

Thanks, I'm happy to be corrected

Ours wasn't. Neither it seems judging from media here, anybody in the 70 country strong alliance. We also seem to think your defence department was surprised as well.

Trump has every right to pull out of Syria, he has made a judgement as he is elected to do and I haven't followed closely enough to go "this is the real best of the bad choices" or argue with him, your right in that I recall the promise but I think he erred in doing so in way he did.

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Has it been made clear if it will be a total withdrawal of troops in Syria, or will there still be a presence on the ground?
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
DaoLunOfShiji
Sage

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Mattis gone, Trump going for record of senior staff leaving? :wink: It is not gone down well in UK, seen as the adult in the room and a restraint on Trump (which is seen as a great thing) and that he was willing to inform allies whereas Trump just made a major miliatry move without telling anyone. However with Trump and Mattis having genuine disagreement on foreign policy, hard to see how it could have gone on much longer.

Presidential cabinets have a lot of turnaround. I’m honestly not sure why the media acts like he’s losing staff at an irregular pace when recent presidents have seen much the same.

Losing Mattis sucks. He resigned very respectfully though; he could have railed on Trump’s decision but he pretty much just said Trump deserves someone with similar beliefs.

Thanks, I'm happy to be corrected

Ours wasn't. Neither it seems judging from media here, anybody in the 70 country strong alliance. We also seem to think your defence department was surprised as well.

Trump has every right to pull out of Syria, he has made a judgement as he is elected to do and I haven't followed closely enough to go "this is the real best of the bad choices" or argue with him, your right in that I recall the promise but I think he erred in doing so in way he did.

I wasn’t aware that many countries weren’t notified. That’s indeed rough. Though consistent with Trump’s “America First” approach to decisions, for better or worse.
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:05 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Has it been made clear if it will be a total withdrawal of troops in Syria, or will there still be a presence on the ground?

I get the impression it is a total withdrawal?

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Presidential cabinets have a lot of turnaround. I’m honestly not sure why the media acts like he’s losing staff at an irregular pace when recent presidents have seen much the same.

Losing Mattis sucks. He resigned very respectfully though; he could have railed on Trump’s decision but he pretty much just said Trump deserves someone with similar beliefs.

It is natural at that level for a degree of changing of the guard but I don't recall this many changes of defence post, chief of staff, communications within one term. May has similar management issues (not helped by Brexit) but the scale just seems really chaotic.

I thought it was a good balance between making clear why he was going while doing it respectfully and without seeking to really damage the President.

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I wasn’t aware that many countries weren’t notified. That’s indeed rough. Though consistent with Trump’s “America First” approach to decisions, for better or worse.

True but it just seems needless to apply it there. Sometimes feel with Trump a bit of tact would go a long way towards helping him and the US

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:51 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Mattis gone, Trump going for record of senior staff leaving? :wink: It is not gone down well in UK, seen as the adult in the room and a restraint on Trump (which is seen as a great thing) and that he was willing to inform allies whereas Trump just made a major miliatry move without telling anyone. However with Trump and Mattis having genuine disagreement on foreign policy, hard to see how it could have gone on much longer.

Presidential cabinets have a lot of turnaround. I’m honestly not sure why the media acts like he’s losing staff at an irregular pace when recent presidents have seen much the same.

Care to elaborate/clarify? I could be mistaken, but from what I've read Trump has has had more resignations/departures in his first two years than any prior president. That would qualify as changes at an irregular pace, which is why the media harps on it.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm

During government shut-downs does the President, Congress, cabinet, senate and so on get pay docked? I'm hearing of lack of pay for government workers (it seems an appalling thing to do and I hope they change that to ensure livelihoods are kept going) but I haven't heard what happens to the higher ups during a shutdown. Bar congress/senate doesn't run.

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs