North Korea: A Real Threat

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: North Korea: A Real Threat

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:26 pm

James wrote:To be fair, it's an important question. It was long before this event took place, and events like this play into current discussions. Such as in the United States, where there's a battle over what freedoms should be destroyed or preserved in light of national security. The NSA monitoring programs are a good representation of this.

The security thing both you and WWD mentioned is tricky. Once you've got significant resources backing a hack—especially in the hands of a country with an established cyber espionage program—odds are against a company like Sony. Even future Sony where they've seen incredible losses as a result of this attack and will now take security far more seriously. The problem here really is the defending network needing to be nearly perfect and the offending hackers needing one or a few mistakes.

I agree there are important questions: appropriate response to such threats, how media should report and very very much so, about cyberwarfare. Feels like little has been discussed on the third and too much chest thumping, that is what I mean.

The problem for Sony's reputation is partly it doesn't have a good reputation on these things anyway and mishandled the PR afterwards.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: North Korea: A Real Threat

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:11 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:
Well, it is a fairly intriguing event in any case.

There are several angles to The Interview that I tend to agree with:

a.) It was probably a bad movie anyway.

Well to this my only two questions are a) is that relevant (or just quip? :D ) and b) isn't bad subjective?

b.) It certainly wasn't a brave gesture on anyone's part, and making a movie about the assassination of a sitting head of state is in any event extremely inappropriate. If any other country had made a movie about Bush or Obama getting assassinated, it would certainly have drawn strong criticism and possible retaliatory action from the US government.

I slightly disagree on a few levels. I'm not sure the movie's plot, the plot to assassinate a reviled dictator, is extremely inappropriate (or shocking) at all. Racy or risque? Perhaps. But that doesn't make it inappropriate, especially when on the heel's of such movies as This is the End and obviously embracing the satirical genre of such movies/shows as Team America and South Park.

Is it brave? No, the actual act of making a movie in America about a dictator in N. Korea isn't brave... is it supposed to be though? What it is, or should be though, is a entitlement which comes from our rights. The article seems to want to suggest that using humor to defile a dictator obfuscates the horrors which are perpetrated, as if the Daily Show and Colbert Report (and nearly any serial drama) doesn't do the exact same thing just in subtler ways. Anyway, my point is I think it was appropriate for America to rally behind the movie not for what it portrays but for the ability of private companies and actors to produce a product free from international pressure.

Also I don't think, should a movie be made in some other country depicting the assassination of an American leader, we should care one bit. I don't think it'd spur any action from America, sans perhaps a dismissive condemnation.

c.) Sony is a Japanese company, and North Korea poses a much larger threat to Japan than they do to us. I'm sure that this calculus figured heavily in Sony's motivation for pulling the film.
[/quote]

Very true. Though this film obviously is filmed and stationed in America and with American audiences, I can see this concern.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs