North Korea: A Real Threat

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby football11f » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:44 pm

azn wrote:Yes but since North Korea is so small a nuclear weapon fired there would surely kill millions of innocent people living there.

A nuke could take out a city like Pyongyang, not the whole of North Korea. I think it'd be wise to use them on military targets in such a situation.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:42 pm

Zhang Liao1 wrote:North Korea wants to be a threat but they are nothing to this world.

The North Korean army is no pushover. Here's some reading material just in case you haven't done much research.
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/cur ... tary_2.htm

We live in an age when a $10,000 missle can sink a $20 billion ship, and a LOSAT mounted on a cheap vehicle can kill a main battle tank. Korea is not a flat, wide open desert, it's hilly and heavily forested, we can't utilise all of the advantages of our advanced equipment.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby football11f » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:29 pm

Precisely, which is why a military action would be silly.
football11f
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:58 pm

bodidley wrote:
Zhang Liao1 wrote:North Korea wants to be a threat but they are nothing to this world.

The North Korean army is no pushover. Here's some reading material just in case you haven't done much research.
http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/cur ... tary_2.htm

We live in an age when a $10,000 missle can sink a $20 billion ship, and a LOSAT mounted on a cheap vehicle can kill a main battle tank. Korea is not a flat, wide open desert, it's hilly and heavily forested, we can't utilise all of the advantages of our advanced equipment.

I knew that article looked familiar. No it would be silly to invade North Korea with their massive army entrenched in mountainous terrain but I don't think that was the main point of the article. North Korea has been making alot of noise about invading South Korea and this guy seems to be saying that if North Korea did that, they could do alot of damage (especially to the civilian population) but because of their inferior equipment, they would lose in the end. After all, I'm sure you didn't miss his final assessment:

In the event that the world witnesses a second Korean War, all indications point to the high probability that the conventional forces of the North would prove to be a mere paper tiger. Certainly their numbers are significant. However, the technological superiority of the U.S. based weapons systems would eventually eliminate this advantage.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby cao cao#1 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Just like vietnam.....OH SHI.
I never have a problem with taking a test. Its the 10 minutes before you enter the room that get to me you hear people talking about crap you have never heard about in your life.
cao cao#1
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:24 pm

For the most part I second Mr. Martin's assessment. My own posts in a similar veinhave been widely ignored, so I will restate that the North Korean military consists of antiquated machines with no fuel and no spare parts. Its soldiers are sick and starving to death (like almost everyone else in North Korea). They are stunted by malnutrition to the point that the army now accepts recruits who are 4'10" tall and weigh less than 100 pounds. For the North Korean people I feel nothing but pity, and for Kim Jong Il, nothing but hate.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chris the King » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:10 am

Its soldiers are sick and starving to death (like almost everyone else in North Korea).

North Korea's soldiers are far from malnourished and sick. North Korea is a military state, and as such it's alleged that most resources are diverted to the military, illegally in the case of international food aid. The soldiers are the only healthy ones of them all, next to the politicians of course.

So I'm curious. First of all, given the increased assertions from North Korea, are you personally concerned that North Korea is a real threat, and not simply bluffing to maintain diplomatic power? And second - do you think that the Western World is taking the threat seriously, and simply trying to be soft in a diplomatic approach, or do you think that theare (for various reasons) disinterested in any possible threat North Korea could pose?

While I do believe that North Korea poses a direct threat to South Korea (and the 30,000 American troops stationed there), I'm one of those people who believe that their latest saber-rattling is a continuation of their "brinkmanship diplomacy", which I largely attribute to Bush's remarks about the Axis of Evil and the war in Iraq.

I think they pose an even greater threat as a catalyst for destabilization of the region. They hope that China would not allow the U.S. to attack them, just like we would never allow another country to attack Mexico. Too close for our liking, no? But IF the U.S. attacked, or if their nuclear sabre-rattling does set off a regional arms race, there are plenty of other tensions in the area that could trigger an AsiaPac-wide war. That, coupled with what's going on in the global War on Terror and the Middle-East, is tantamount to a WWIII.

I might have said this elsewhere, but consider this scenario, however unlikely you may think it is: N. Korea attacks S. Korea, the U.S. responds by sending 7th Fleet to kick some ass. But China steps in the way, puffing up their chest. If push ever came to shove and military action occurred, China could use the situation as an excuse to take Taiwan. Alternatively, Nationalist forces in Taiwan may consider this a prime opportunity to declare independence, and then China, according to their constitution, would have the legal right and duty to attack. Then again, everyone hates Japan anyway, right? Why not take a swing that way too. All the while, Russia is spooked and training their ICBMs at everyone. A similar situation could occur even if N. Korea doesn't attack, but only spurs on a regional arms race.

Far-fetched as it may seem, but no one believed before it happened that a nation could ally with Russia, take Poland, round up 3 million Jews and other "undesirables" and kill them, and then backstab Russia in an attempt to control the entire Eurasian continent.

For these reasons I believe that the Western powers take North Korea seriously, but also because the Bush administration is too paranoid to not consider them a threat. Their refusal for bilateral talks is in effect a refusal to capitulate politically. Their reliance on six-party talks is, in my mind, a product of common sense (shouldn't the regional powers be included and not just the superpower on the other side of the world), fear of increasing American resentment and pissing off China, but not because they are disinterested.

However, I do believe that if tomorrow a large oil deposit was discovered in N. Korea, we'd be there faster than you can say Kimchee.
Chris the King
Changshi

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am

Chris the King wrote:North Korea's soldiers are far from malnourished and sick. North Korea is a military state, and as such it's alleged that most resources are diverted to the military, illegally in the case of international food aid. The soldiers are the only healthy ones of them all, next to the politicians of course.

Stunted growth and other malnourishment deformities set in during childhood, before the person ever joins the army. Because of the famines North Koreans are on average one whole foot shorter than South Koreans.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Koichi wrote:I knew that article looked familiar. No it would be silly to invade North Korea with their massive army entrenched in mountainous terrain but I don't think that was the main point of the article. North Korea has been making alot of noise about invading South Korea and this guy seems to be saying that if North Korea did that, they could do alot of damage (especially to the civilian population) but because of their inferior equipment, they would lose in the end. After all, I'm sure you didn't miss his final assessment:

You're right, I didn't miss the final assessment. My point is that North Korea isn't a "nothing" military power. Their main disadvantages in the offense are that the vast majority of their air defenses are immobile, and their low fuel supply means that not only would their armor have a difficult time advancing, but their transportation forces would also have a heck of a time resupplying the legs. If China stops supplying food and oil to North Korea it will hobble the military threat they present. China knows that, and it needs to be convinced that supporting North Korea is not in its interests.

North Korea's hodge-podge of obsolete and new equipment isn't as ridiculous as it seems. In Korea most armor on armor engagements would be at a close enough range that the semi-modern and cheaper modern attack equipment can kill more modern armored vehicles.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: North Korea: A Real Threat

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Given North Korea's success in getting the Interview and Team America withdrawn from the scenes, hitting Sony's reputation and finances quite badly, is this a route North Korea can use more to gain worldwide credibility/sense of threat? Or was this a one time thing and they will stick to military/governing targets with cyber warfare?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs