North Korea: A Real Threat

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

North Korea: A Real Threat

Unread postby Famed Hero » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:16 pm

Hey guys I decided to bring this discussion into this section. I am in USAF intel and the US's situation with North Korea (KN, NK, DPRK) is a really big deal to me. What are your opinions or what do you feel we should do about the current situation? I'll lay some stone cold facts down for discussing. Feel free to add anything.

1. KN is Communist plain and simple. The country is under the dictatorship rule of Kim Chong-il. The entire gov't is centralized around "The Big Chonger" as we in the USAF like to call him.

2. The main focus of the gov't is to produce a massive, well trained military in hopes that some day they will take over the Korean penninsula. The KN gov't spends a large portion of their money on the military and production of weapons of mass destruction (ie nukes, bio-chemical weapons, SCUDS, ICBM).

3. The mass population of KN suffers from malnutrition and starvation.
Saint Joan of Arc, Pray for us!
Famed Hero
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: North Korea: A Real Threat

Unread postby Dennis » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:23 pm

LiuBei wrote:Hey guys I decided to bring this discussion into this section. I am in USAF intel and the US's situation with North Korea (KN, NK, DPRK) is a really big deal to me. What are your opinions or what do you feel we should do about the current situation? I'll lay some stone cold facts down for discussing. Feel free to add anything..

Great to have you aboard.

1. KN is Communist plain and simple. The country is under the dictatorship rule of Kim Chong-il. The entire gov't is centralized around "The Big Chonger" as we in the USAF like to call him.

Communism is ineffective, it isn't evil. It's not the anti-christian hate crime idea that everyone thinks it is. It's just not practical, and calling anyone 'The Big Chonger' doesn't sound very nice.

2. The main focus of the gov't is to produce a massive, well trained military in hopes that some day they will take over the Korean penninsula. The KN gov't spends a large portion of their money on the military and production of weapons of mass destruction (ie nukes, bio-chemical weapons, SCUDS, ICBM).

I don't doubt that N.Korea does want to take over the Korean penninsula, however, The United States spends the most money on military out of any other nation in the world, so like most nations, Korea has to step up their spending so they don't get stomped by Bush.

3. The mass population of KN suffers from malnutrition and starvation.

S. Korea is just as bad. A friend of mine went to Seoul and when she got off the plain she saw a man die of starvation right in front of her, and, he was wearing a business suit. The Banking crisis of '97 has hit all of the 'Tiger Economies' quite hard, and N. korea is not the only one that is doing poorly, but it is the one receiving the least economic aid,... so maybe that has something to do with it.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Famed Hero » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:50 pm

Communism is ineffective, it isn't evil. It's not the anti-christian hate crime idea that everyone thinks it is. It's just not practical, and calling anyone 'The Big Chonger' doesn't sound very nice.

Hey indoctinating your people to believe you are some kind of god that only provides them with at best 1 meal a day so he can build nukes that could in a round-about way end up with their own death along with many of their countrymen isn't very nice either. I never said communism was evil, The Big Chonger is.

I don't doubt that N.Korea does want to take over the Korean penninsula, however, The United States spends the most money on military out of any other nation in the world, so like most nations, Korea has to step up their spending so they don't get stomped by Bush.

The US spends that money because they can. When your country doesn't have a whole lot of money why spend what you have on making yourself more powerful and pushing your people aside. BTW the propper long form of NK is "The Democratic PEOPLE's Republic of Korea."

S. Korea is just as bad. A friend of mine went to Seoul and when she got off the plain she saw a man die of starvation right in front of her, and, he was wearing a business suit. The Banking crisis of '97 has hit all of the 'Tiger Economies' quite hard, and N. korea is not the only one that is doing poorly, but it is the one receiving the least economic aid,... so maybe that has something to do with it.

Hey I won't call you or your friend a liar, but unless you did an A&E Biography on that very man you may not know why he did, if that was the case, in fact starve. As far as economic aid, the KN gov't has a $24 billion dollar debt to various countries (including S Korea and the US) yet we the US and SKorea sit give alot of money towards humanitarian aid to KN every single year.
Saint Joan of Arc, Pray for us!
Famed Hero
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chen Kun » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:51 pm

This is weird,since the last Korean war,N.Korea never attack or threat other countries.And if u compare to US...
Somehow I feel more threaten by US than by N.Korea.And I think many people around the world share the same opinion with me.What dou think,USAF intel? :roll:
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Fan Kong » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:17 am

LiuBei wrote:Hey indoctinating your people to believe you are some kind of god that only provides them with at best 1 meal a day so he can build nukes that could in a round-about way end up with their own death along with many of their countrymen isn't very nice either. I never said communism was evil, The Big Chonger is.

Your first post seem to give the impression that you were using communism to further your arguement of N. Korea being evil.

Just curious, where does your figure of 1 meal a day come from? Since the beginning of time, even the poorest of the poor were able to eat more than 1 meal a day, cuz if you can't afford to pay for more than 1 meal a day, than you kill your meals!

Do you have any facts that show "Chonger" is in fact EVIL?

The US spends that money because they can.

Look at this country's current economic situation......do we need to increase the military budget?

When your country doesn't have a whole lot of money why spend what you have on making yourself more powerful and pushing your people aside. BTW the propper long form of NK is "The Democratic PEOPLE's Republic of Korea."

Bush *cough* Bush

Actually, does the U.S. or South Korea finance any groups of "freedom fighters" in North Korea?
If they do, and we all know the U.S. has a nasty little habit of doing that, then no wonder why North Korea spends so much money on the military.

Chen Kun wrote:This is weird,since the last Korean war,N.Korea never attack or threat other countries.And if u compare to US...
Somehow I feel more threaten by US than by N.Korea.And I think many people around the world share the same opinion with me.What dou think,USAF intel? :roll:

My thoughts exactly!
Fan Kong
Langzhong

Location: Chasing the citizens of Shu........ChangBan part deux!!! >:)

Unread postby Mu Shu » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:54 am

LiuBei wrote:Hey guys I decided to bring this discussion into this section. I am in USAF intel and the US's situation with North Korea (KN, NK, DPRK) is a really big deal to me. What are your opinions or what do you feel we should do about the current situation?

First off, I believe that the NK generals know better than anyone else just how inadequate their resources are. Sure, their probably more formidable than Iraq... but no rational leader would start a self-destructive war that can't be won. Okay, Hitler made that mistake... but his situation in 1939 was far far better than NK's today.

NK has no allies. NK has very limited resources. NK's economy sucks.
Truth of the matter is NK is on the brink of collapse. The NK leaders know this and they want a way out in which they will still retain control. The only bargaining chip they have is the threat of using their military.

Therefore, it makes sense for them to exaggerate how powerful their military is. Thereby increasing their bargaining position. I think the NK are purposely manipulating our media to make themselves look like a potential threat.

Their basically a bunch of beggars posing as highway robbers. Don't be fooled, they won't shoot because they know that our guns are bigger than theirs. Every once in a while we can feed them to make sure they don't become too desperate. :lol:
Last edited by Mu Shu on Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Unread postby Dennis » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:39 am

Wow, my information from Asian Studies class sure clashes with what you blokes have to say.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Fan Kong » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:25 am

Zhou Dexiang wrote:Wow, my information from Asian Studies class sure clashes with what you blokes have to say.

I'd be interested to hear what you learned in that class, I'm not very caught up on this topic, except for the fact the N. Korea has never been an issue until the Bush regime came to power. Was this in a college course?
Fan Kong
Langzhong

Location: Chasing the citizens of Shu........ChangBan part deux!!! >:)

Unread postby Han Xin » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:25 am

Chen Kun wrote:This is weird,since the last Korean war,N.Korea never attack or threat other countries.And if u compare to US...

:lol: Lets see:
- Kidnapping Japanese teenagers and force them to teach their own spies.
- Several times send secretly send commando in a mini-submarine to infiltrate South Korea.
- I remember last year a North Korean patrol boat crosses into South Korean's water and a naval battle occurred killing 3 South Korean sailors. Kim Jong Il later apoligy and justify that the North Korean's boat lost their true location and believe the South Korean's boat crosses North Korean waters.
- Shooting Rockets over Japan without Japanese's approval...

To Fan Kong Happy 32rd Birthday Dude... :lol:
Last edited by Han Xin on Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Mu Shu » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:56 pm

Hmm... I just read an article and its seems that this view is becoming more popular in South Korea. In fact the US main problem on the Korean Pennisula might turn out to be South Korea...

Here's the article:

The fissure in US-South Korea relations
By Tim Shorrock

WASHINGTON -

.... was amazed by the lack of any expression of threat from Pyongyang. Despite a recent shootout of North and South Korean naval vessels in the Yellow Sea, and in sharp contrast to the alarmist posture towards the North in Washington, most of the people he polled at Ehwa "thought that North Korea was more friend than enemy" and "more of a burden" than anything else. "In other words, they're saying North Korea is merely a nuisance," he recalled during a recent speech in Washington.

During his visit, Oberdorfer also asked Koreans about a newspaper poll showing that a majority in South Korea viewed the United States as a primary beneficiary of the bilateral military relationship. In contrast to the recent past, many Koreans now believe that that US troops "are here for them [Americans] only" and not as a deterrent against North Korea, he was told. That kind of thinking has major implications for US policy, he argued, because if South Koreans don't consider North Korea a threat, "then the US military presence is expendable".

... reveals a growing rift in US relations with Korea that is likely to deepen in the coming months no matter who is elected South Korea's next president in December's elections. For every issue facing the two countries - particularly North Korea's standoff with the United States over its nuclear ambitions and the behavior of the 37,000 US troops in South Korea - the perceptions of South Korean and US policy makers and the general public differ widely.

If tensions worsen with North Korea and changes aren't made in the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) guiding US military relations, that rift could explode into hostility and another wave of anti-Americanism, analysts believe. And for the first time since the late 1940s, the United States could face determined opposition to its policies on both sides of the 38th parallel where the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) roughly divides the Koreas, a development that could make it much harder to reach a comprehensive peace settlement on the Korean Peninsula and complicate US relations throughout the region....

...But, Cha warned, if the United States continues to push a hard line with the North, the widespread criticism in South Korea of US policy and actions on the peninsula could change "into something more deep and more radical".

... "Remarkably, [South Korea] and its political leaders are more worried about George W Bush than [North Korean leader] Kim Jong-iI," House wrote in a dispatch from Seoul on November 13.
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Next

Return to Current Affairs