Why do you think Politics is so interesting?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Why do you think Politics is so interesting?

Unread postby Korin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I want answers, please. I don't get it, it's so boring IMHO - It's like war with words.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Why do you think Politics is so interesting?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Because based upon what these politicians decide is what is legal in my country and what state the economy is in. That stuff should interest everyone, I often find myself getting frustrated with people who don't see why that is significant.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Street pot should be illegal everywhere, btw. I'm bit of a hypocrite, so yeah... I also don't understand what economy means :?: see this is why I'm ignorant of politics, it's too confusing, so I don't bother researching it.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Korin wrote:I want answers, please. I don't get it, it's so boring IMHO - It's like war with words.

Sun Fin's answer is fairly sensible to me. Not only that, it isn't like there isn't a large amount of showhouse rhetoric or drama to politics.

Korin wrote:Street pot should be illegal everywhere, btw. I'm bit of a hypocrite, so yeah... I also don't understand what economy means :?: see this is why I'm ignorant of politics, it's too confusing, so I don't bother researching it.

What does the first sentence have to do with any of the question posed or response? And how can you not know what economy means? Even if I could accept that a human being could go 19 years without absorbing what the word 'economy' means, you're on the internet. Theres a search engine with a wealth of knowledge for you. Furthermore, understanding the definition of the word 'economy' has nothing to do with politics, and therefore is not confusing.

EDIT: This post is more suitable to the Basic Questions thread.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Questions Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am

Economy: The finical state of the country basically. Both the finical state of the government and then the businesses, people and so on.

Sun Fin says why it is important to follow out and I would agree. One should try to be aware of what the government, and opposing parties, are doing becuase it will likely affect you in one way or another.

Why do I like politics so much? I find elections can be an intresting snapshot of where the country is at the time and where it might be heading, I think a legislature like the Commons can reflect certain problems though government's can be on rather different political leaning then the wider populace. I also like the person stuff, you could probably make a pretty decent story out of Miliband, Clegg or Cameron right now, let alone the inevitable fall. We see figures rise, their star shining and either see it splutter sadly out or burn out in spectacular fashion. There are a lot of intresting personalities and not just on the frenchbenches and there is quite a bit of humour and banter that goes on, it can be quite funny. Yes, you need to get to know politics to understand the jokes, why people groan when Mr Bone mentions his wife or why people laughed when Greening said she agreed with Byrant, but there is humour.

I do like listening to good speeches and debates though that may just make me weird. A bit of passion, humour or emotion, logical argument and eloquence makes a nice combo.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 pm

This topic was previously locked and redirected to the questions thread, but I'm going to go ahead and unlock it as it is a subject worth discussing and any worthwhile discussion that takes place in those catch-all threads vanishes before long, and frequently before people have had a chance to express their views.

I don't find politics to be interesting as much as I see importance in it. Wherever we live, our local politics determine the course of our country's future, and in many cases, have a direct impact on our lives. That's why I keep track of what is happening and, to an extent, who is who. Personally, I see it as a very dangerous hobby for someone who is not directly involved in influencing politics, though. It is an extremely negative subject and I wouldn't want to be too emotionally invested in it without working, at the same time, to play a meaningful role in its direction.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:53 pm

James wrote:This topic was previously locked and redirected to the questions thread, but I'm going to go ahead and unlock it as it is a subject worth discussing and any worthwhile discussion that takes place in those catch-all threads vanishes before long, and frequently before people have had a chance to express their views.

I don't find politics to be interesting as much as I see importance in it. Wherever we live, our local politics determine the course of our country's future, and in many cases, have a direct impact on our lives. That's why I keep track of what is happening and, to an extent, who is who. Personally, I see it as a very dangerous hobby for someone who is not directly involved in influencing politics, though. It is an extremely negative subject and I wouldn't want to be too emotionally invested in it without working, at the same time, to play a meaningful role in its direction.

It isn't my place to argue with content decisions, but how is this anything but a general personal question? All responses thus far, and I'd bet afterwards, will echo the same general theme. We care because its important.
Last edited by Shikanosuke on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:It isn't my place to argue with content decisions, but how is this anything but a general personal question? [...] All responses thus far, and I'd bet afterwards, will echo the same general theme. We care because its important.

I'll echo what I've said elsewhere, and it is that if we're going to have catch-all Q&A discussions they should be for questions which can be fully resolved, for everyone, with a single answer. Personally, I see much more in this question. Some of us follow it because we deem it important, but I know others who follow it for other reasons, and I've also had discussions with people about it. For example, I know someone who I have actively encouraged not to follow politics because it has become a destructive force in his life.

And on the flip-side, if you're right and that's the consensus and no discussion takes place, the topic will simple vanish into the sunset. I would rather we give a discussion a chance to take place. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:29 pm

I agree with both Dong and James; like Dong I find the intrigues of politics thrilling but at the same time my obsessive nature makes it unhealthy for me to focus that much on something I can't actually influence. Due to that I keep abreast of developments on the national level but get my own fix of politics within situations I'm personally involved in, for example my university's current Student Union’s elections! :lol:
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Politics is an exercise in self-interest. It's easy to be interested in it if you have some kind of self investment to make. Otherwise it's a bit like watching a cockfight. You will either be easily amused by it or you will completely not care about it, and in fact find the whole exercise deplorable.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs