Why do you think Politics is so interesting?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Why do you think Politics is so interesting?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 am

James wrote:I don't find politics to be interesting as much as I see importance in it. Wherever we live, our local politics determine the course of our country's future, and in many cases, have a direct impact on our lives. That's why I keep track of what is happening and, to an extent, who is who. Personally, I see it as a very dangerous hobby for someone who is not directly involved in influencing politics, though. It is an extremely negative subject and I wouldn't want to be too emotionally invested in it without working, at the same time, to play a meaningful role in its direction.

My sentiments exactly. Politics isn't necessarily interesting but important. It impacts our every day lives and determines what we should legally be able to do. I also agree with you that it can be a negative subject but, it's just like religion and other topics. Get enough people to lean far on one side or another and they begin heavy persuasion of why their views are right. Eventually, it leads fighting whether it be verbal or physical.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm

I can understand why people find politics ugly, even as a fan I can wince during PMQ's and when it pretty much bogs down to certain people (in parliament and without) declaring their opponents to be satan worshipping evil doers, it does get rather tiring.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Objectivist » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Politics is fascinating to me. Not because of great leaders or history, but because of human behavior.

I do not believe that people are stupid, in general. I believe that quite the contrary is true. I believe that most people are apathetic. Sometimes apathy is confused for ignorance. I am interested in politics...because I want more people to care, whether they agree or disagree with me. I just want people to pay more attention to important details in life that have an effect on everything around them.
The philosophy of Liberty

---If you do not believe in self ownership, you believe in slavery. Looking at all of human history, Liberty is a new concept still being introduced to man and it is growing every single day.
Objectivist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 am

Agree with James as well that it is not necessarily interesting, but certainly important. I didn't always think so, but as I get older, I find myself needing to keep better tabs on what's happening.

I mean when I was young I thought it was all a circus. It didn't help that I was a teen when Bill Clinton was playing sax on MTV and getting jiggy with Monica Lewinski. Pad that with the Bushes and my own socially liberal attitudes and poor upbringing, and it's pretty easy for me to understand now why I painted it so darn black and white.

I don't follow politics all that closely or anything, but I do try to not be ignorant of it now. And I'm starting to realize that my own political views are not quite so black and white as I once thought (though I will always be extremely socially liberal :lol: ).

Oh and I also agree with the other point that James (I believe) made. This is one of those tricky subjects to discuss with others, because it can get heated very easily unless everyone can stay cool. I've seen some very classy political discussions but it was close friends with similar political outlooks over beers kind of stuff. When I visit my (conservative) family back home I just pretend that I didn't hear what my uncle just called Obama, and that whole "the next generation won't be like this" thought process kicks in. :?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:07 am

Politics is not so much as interesting here as it is shoved in your face everyday!! Due to the divide here you have constant murals everywhere be it in Nationalist or Unionist areas!! In my area I'm glad they focus on the Irish culture rather than on "This person was killed in The Troubles" since I would rather not have the image of Bobby Sands rammed down my throat everyday!! But I do have the Union flag (or Fleg as they have named it now) shoved in my face everyday!! The road I live on is mixed so when I jump on a bus, about a hundred yards down the street, every lamppost has a Fleg I mean really!!

So yeah as much as I try to ignore Politics, one would have to be blind not to be forced to have an opinion!! Of course they call this their culture or whatever and they should be allowed to force everyone to endure it!! So then I end up listening to the shows like Stephen Nolan, who honestly don't like, just to hear their justification for it!! But yeah considering the Political Corruption that went on here even into the later half of the 20th Century where Catholics would not be allowed to have their representatives in the Government due to Gerrymandering and the more Votes for certain Unionists you can help but take a dip in the Acidic waters!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Politics certainly do draw a spectrum of opinions!

Personally, having been at the mercy of Parliamentary elitism since employment has eluded me without signs of abating, I have a few damning opinions regarding politicians in Government and their ruthlessly unnecessary withdrawals of public sector support/funding...I'll save that vigourous diatribe for another day, however.

I don't claim to be a political enthusiast, or indeed someone with an inclination to find it overly interesting, but of course I 'get' the importance of political process etc. How can something so critical to your life in general not be significant?
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Previous

Return to Current Affairs