Formal or informal Constitution

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Formal or informal Constitution

Unread postby Objectivist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:I disagree with WWD alot, but most of his comments over the past 5 or so years I've been here regarding his upbringing have been fairly consistent. I see no reason to doubt his experience. While I grew up in the bible belt and a majority of parents I know would both not actively encourage dating outside their faith but also actively discourage it, I also know that it happens alot. That families move on and grow.

I hear similar rhetoric everyday in my life. In fact I have my entire upbringing. However, over time I've come to doubt the sincerity of such claims. Sure, theres plenty who seriously think that and worry about the absence of religion bringing about social harms. Yet I've come to believe (for what little thats worth) most of that is just a half-hearted belief. They may say that, but in the end they're more concerned, like the rest of us, in real-world laws than anything else.

Just my small personal experience.


Why do so many religious groups try to legislate morality and go after issues such as abortion and gay marriage, for example? Somewhere deep down, they have to believe that without their religious laws enacted, society would be in a worse state of affairs.

What do you think would happen in America if an actual Muslim ran for President?
The philosophy of Liberty

---If you do not believe in self ownership, you believe in slavery. Looking at all of human history, Liberty is a new concept still being introduced to man and it is growing every single day.
User avatar
Objectivist
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Formal or informal Constitution

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Objectivist wrote:
Why do so many religious groups try to legislate morality and go after issues such as abortion and gay marriage, for example? Somewhere deep down, they have to believe that without their religious laws enacted, society would be in a worse state of affairs.


Perhaps. I'm sure all religious folks think that their religious beliefs would lead to a better life and better society. Yet most recognize they don't live in a theocracy.

What do you think would happen in America if an actual Muslim ran for President?


What would happen? Not much. It'd make a small splash because it'd be a novelty. Assuming he had the necessary capital, he'd likely fail to attract the sufficient voters. Then again, I would have said the same thing about a Mormon until the latest election. However, actual Muslims have run for Congress and won. Atheists too, if I recall correctly.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Formal or informal Constitution

Unread postby Objectivist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 am

Shikanosuke wrote:Perhaps. I'm sure all religious folks think that their religious beliefs would lead to a better life and better society. Yet most recognize they don't live in a theocracy.


I have heard the phrase "God fearing man/woman" countless times in my life and there is true meaning behind it. I do not really see religion as a horrible thing at all. I understand it's use in society and it truly does help some people who need it in their life. I see no harm with what anyone wants to believe about what happens when they die.
The philosophy of Liberty

---If you do not believe in self ownership, you believe in slavery. Looking at all of human history, Liberty is a new concept still being introduced to man and it is growing every single day.
User avatar
Objectivist
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Formal or informal Constitution

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 am

Objectivist wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:Perhaps. I'm sure all religious folks think that their religious beliefs would lead to a better life and better society. Yet most recognize they don't live in a theocracy.


I have heard the phrase "God fearing man/woman" countless times in my life and there is true meaning behind it. I do not really see religion as a horrible thing at all. I understand it's use in society and it truly does help some people who need it in their life. I see no harm with what anyone wants to believe about what happens when they die.


As to your first point, I'm not sure. It all depends on the context and specifics. I've known many a folks say that, and its rarely true or meant as its to be taken. I've heard it used often just to say simply 'they believe in God'. Not to imply they fear if religion disappear the secular laws would not stop the world from disintegrating. But those are just my personal experiences. Might not mirror yours or WWD.

As to your latter point, same here. Was only interceding to share my own experiences on the subject.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Previous

Return to Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved