Politics in China: Bo Xilai sacked, New Left done for?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Politics in China: Bo Xilai sacked, New Left done for?

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 am

agga wrote:well, they're charging ms Gu with murder, i.e. they're going all the way; do you still think it's all trumped up? bo is finished forever, if he doesn't wind up dying for this business.

It wouldn't be the first time the CCP has pulled shit like this. And they had the nerve to imprison the poor man's daughter as well. But yes, it looks pretty grim for both Mr and Mrs Bo - and I think Guagua would be well-advised to seek asylum in the UK, if their own rat-bastard government will let him.

agga wrote:and only after the chongqing chief of police turned over information on the case - which, sure, may have been falsified by him as part of a personal vendetta or blackmail attempt, or by some wider cabal with wang yang in the shadows (though if it's the latter, they don't seem to be protecting wang lijun in return) - to the americans..

Well, every plot needs a fall guy in case the whole thing goes south. That's rule number one.

That said, it's still all just speculation at this point, because the police have yet to come forward with anything solider than a vague allegation against Gu Kailai and one of her employees. I'm just saying something reeks to high heaven about a closed case where even the supposed victim's family considered his death a natural one (and it wasn't the local police who ordered his cremation, it was his family), being reopened exactly at the most politically-convenient time against the most politically-inconvenient person. To quote Andy Robinson, 'I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.'

Just to be clear, though, I don't necessarily think Bo is completely squeaky clean in all of this. There might be some element of truth to the story - I can easily imagine Bo and Gu putting a lot of pressure on Heywood, driving him to drink himself to death. And I can easily imagine they might have been involved in a lot of other shady business. But this particular incident looks like the perfect frame-up - the silver cup in Benjamin's bag, as it were, and the CCP are no righteous Joseph in this by any stretch of the imagination.

It still strikes me that the first explanation, that Neil Haywood drank himself to death, is, by the application of Ockham's Razor, the most believable one. It requires the fewest people with the least to gain to be outright lying.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:51 am

Well as if Bo Xilai isn't surrounded by enough scandal, I just read an article claiming that he was pimping out (including to himself) Zhang Ziyi. :shock:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed May 30, 2012 3:13 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Well as if Bo Xilai isn't surrounded by enough scandal, I just read an article claiming that he was pimping out (including to himself) Zhang Ziyi. :shock:

... in the Apple Daily, Hong Kong's second least reliable infotainment tabloid, ranking just ahead of the Sun, and in the NED-sponsored Boxun Xinwenwang. My apologies, but I trust both of those... well, 'news' is a bit generous... outlets only a hair fraction more than I trust FOX News and the National Enquirer, so maybe a little over halfway to the nearest rubbish bin or fish-and-chips stand. I confess myself more surprised by the Korea Herald's decision to run the story than by the story itself.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:38 am

Huge scoop on Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao: apparently, his family made over $2.7 BILLION (yes, that's 'billion' with a 'b', and that's US dollars) in shady investments and so forth over the past 14 years. Fun stuff. Oh, and the New York Times is now blocked in China; surprise, surprise. You rest-of-the-world folks are luckier - but, God be praised, I have a VPN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/business/global/family-of-wen-jiabao-holds-a-hidden-fortune-in-china.html?hp&_r=0

As I said on Facebook, remember, kids: in the eyes of the modern-day CCP leadership, and of most Western China-watchers (who actually agree on far more things than either would care to admit), you're only corrupt if you don't think public ownership is the spawn of Satan and if you ACTUALLY give a damn about poor people, like Bo Xilai. If you only PRETEND to give a damn about poor people and sell off the country piece by piece to foreign and private moneyed interests while claiming it's in the name of 'political reform', and somehow wind up with a massive family fortune in the process, like Wen Jiabao, then there's nothing to see here, folks, move along...

So, Chinese right wing, which corrupt hypocritical multi-billionaire robber of the public trust are you gonna make your 'Grandpa' next? And then blame us left-wingers for all the corruption, of course, and for wanting to 'return us to the dark ages of the Cultural Revolution' and such rot.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Boydie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 pm

I see Bo was found guilty of corruption, stripped of all his assets, and sentenced to life imprisonment. The guy as been called the the greatest gangster in China! :lol:
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Boydie wrote:I see Bo was found guilty of corruption, stripped of all his assets, and sentenced to life imprisonment. The guy as been called the the greatest gangster in China! :lol:

Clearly not.

If he were in any way a great gangster, he'd still have his job in the CCP. 8-)
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Previous

Return to Current Affairs