The Importance of Technology:Smart Phones/and the like

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

The Importance of Technology:Smart Phones/and the like

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 am

Havent had much in the way of new topics lately, so I think ill throw a toss-up out there.

Now , i hate smart-phones, i period detest them, i can get over email and stuff, but i mean cmon ppl, do u really have to be connected to the internet 24/7 , is it so important that you have to pull out your iphone and update your facebook status like every twenty minutes? I know it sounds ranty, but my question, is why are people so addicted to Smart phones, now i have a cell phone, though i barely use it except to call my father when hes at work, yet i cant wrap my head around why smart phones are just, so tempting, so addicting, so_____ (blank). Now when you're at home, on your computer, privately, working, or whatever, i have no problem with that, but for example, you're in the middle of class, and you try and sneakily pull out your iphone because the lecture is boring, thats just wrong. I want the discussion to go into social-networking too, so if it goes off topic to that, dont try to redirect it. so, Thoughts??
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Importance of Technology:Smart Phones/and the like

Unread postby James » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:40 pm

It's a convenient device with a marvelous range of capabilities, easily customized to address our individual interests, and it is right there at our side when we're bored. They really are amazing devices. Setting aside a degree of self-constraint, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that people turn to their smartphones so frequently. I think the main issue here is self-restraint, and people not practicing enough of it.

If you're in the movie theater, silence your phone and ignore it. If you're at the dinner table with people who might be offended in the slightest, silence your phone and ignore it. If you're out on a date, or spending time with a loved one, restrain your desire to mess with your phone and live in the moment with them. It should be stressed that these are issues with people, not issues with the device. And these activities certainly shouldn't be dedicated to the traditional PC. I'd much rather take care of my email on the run, while doing other things, than have to sit in front of a monitor on a chair at some other point in my day.

Steve Jobs is said to have taken issue with the use of a device such as the iPhone to fill all moments of boredom, having said that boredom is indeed an important part of life. A great chance to think. I'm paraphrasing heavily here, but I agree strongly with the concept here.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 am

I don't have a smart phone and I'm quite happy without one!! I don't mind people having them!! What I do mind is people sitting at tea when you are socializing playing on theirs, I find it rude as I don't bring my DS or laptop along to lunch/dinner to see friends and I have cases to easily carry them with me!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Its like the commercial with the decidely black couple and the man is constantly checking the game on his phone and pissing of the woman in the process. Yea, i hear you SunXia. People seems to have forgotten what it means to properly sit down and have a cup of coffee and chat.
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm always a couple years behind the tech curve myself-can't bring myself to spend all that money for something that could easily be lost, stolen or damaged-though I do wish I could get something with 4G and could play music.

While I realize that people often put way too much stock into their phones, (I've never bought an app in my life find spending money for custom ringtones and other such vanities to be a ridiculous practice) I find these iSwissArmyKnives incredibly useful. Can't wait til they can combine a Kindle with a phone, if they haven't done something similar already.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 pm

You do realize that it may be cheap to buy the phone and the coverage, but after your done getting all those apps, well, thats gonna be a whole lotta wasted cash!
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:32 am

All the more reason not to mess with apps. The only one I can think of that would serve any use for me at all would be Mixology. All I really want from a phone is good internet service, a music player, and occasionally as a device to contact other people (like, who knew?)
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:You do realize that it may be cheap to buy the phone and the coverage, but after your done getting all those apps, well, thats gonna be a whole lotta wasted cash!

I disagree with you guys in regard to the apps. Apps should be purchased for one of two reasons: entertainment or value. Entertainment is the easy one. You would buy an app purchased for entertainment for the same reason you might purchase a video game you want to play, or buy a movie you love. And then there is value. I have numerous apps on my phone which provide me with real-world value.

I purchased a GPS app which paid for itself a long time ago by preventing me from arriving late at a client's home, and again by allowing me to not care about having a GPS in my car anymore, and then again through convenience planning trips and navigating complicated freeways in a way I could never do safely with Google Maps. I have an app which manages all my passwords across my phone and computer allowing me to securely use and store different passwords for all my website, improving security, and adding a great deal of convenience to my life by allowing me to better support family members when they have a problem and never have to waste time trying to recall or recover a password (among other benefits). An RSS reader and a read-it-later style app (Reeder and Instapaper in this case) make gathering and enjoying information far more enjoyable than it has ever been for me before, and allow me to do these things without wasting time in front of a computer at home. They have also increased my knowledge on current topics because I am more inclined to consume the information. A stock market app allows me to manage my stocks on the go, and it has paid for itself in somewhat more obvious ways. A notes app allows me to record, update, and access information from any of my devices. Same goes for different value provided by a groceries app and another app which allows me to actually remember what meals I've disliked at restaurants.

There is a great deal of value to be had in enjoying some good apps—we just have to be willing to recognize the value. It is too easy to assume that anything more expensive than free is too expensive, but for that to be true, we must either be genuinely scraping by financially, or we have to place a very low value on our personal time and enjoyment.

The smartphone itself, having finally been done properly, is one of the best investments I've ever made in my life in terms of finances, simplification of life, and reduction of stress.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:25 pm

James wrote:I disagree with you guys in regard to the apps. Apps should be purchased for one of two reasons: entertainment or value. Entertainment is the easy one. You would buy an app purchased for entertainment for the same reason you might purchase a video game you want to play, or buy a movie you love. And then there is value. I have numerous apps on my phone which provide me with real-world value.

I don't think we disagree much at all. I was referring more to people who go on app shopping sprees, buying all sorts of crap they either don't need or wouldn't use after a week. Obviously, if there's an app out there that provides a useful service (including entertainment), by all means, get it. I certainly would. I'm just saying that there's not many apps that I can think of that I need at the moment, and I wouldn't get something 'just because', you know?
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 pm

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:I don't think we disagree much at all. I was referring more to people who go on app shopping sprees, buying all sorts of crap they either don't need or wouldn't use after a week. Obviously, if there's an app out there that provides a useful service (including entertainment), by all means, get it. I certainly would. I'm just saying that there's not many apps that I can think of that I need at the moment, and I wouldn't get something 'just because', you know?

That definitely makes sense. And it is a tricky one, too. Android has loads of terrible apps due to the more accessible market but at least it has a short return period. As long as someone is on top of it and honest with themselves they can probably do a decent job. The App Store has far more high quality apps, but it has no return period, so barring something bad enough that there is reason to call Apple and ask for a refund, you have to know what you're getting into before you start. I've certainly purchased plenty of apps which I didn't get my money's worth out of.

And then there's impulse buying. If you're buying a $0.99 app, it is very easy to say, "This looks like it could be good—let's give it a shot. After all, I'm only out a buck, right?" That can add up. At least on the flip-side, the economy of pricing in the app stores is so heavily slanted toward cheap prices that one great app purchased for $4 (when it would have been $20+ on any platform before the iPhone App Store was launched) can help to qualify some bad decisions.

I guess there are also bound to be people who don't bother following through anyway. "Hey, it's the price of a drink at Starbucks." without trying to calculate how those expenses add up over time.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Current Affairs