Religion & Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

2012 U.S. Presidential Election Speculation [Gay Rights]

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Edit (James): Split from the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election Speculation Topic

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:You do realize none of the Republican Candidates will win any of the LGBT Votes right? They're policies on them are just, ugh!
Thats also really bad considering, there are Gay Republicans, and the fact that you may just want those votes in a state like California, considering that, if the Republicans could get California this Election, they might just win.
Like i said, im not in any way voting republican, but, some of the Candidates do make good arguements, and Obama hasnt been all good either as president, he catered to the Corporations for one, but yea, an agenda to cut the dept. of Education as a way of elimantating 1 trillion dollars in year(i think this was Santourum), NO!, i would not have that, because its not the teachers that make schools fail, its THE CHILDREN!!, if they dont want to learn, they dont want to get the grades, than gee, i dont see how a school will do well on a national scale, or get any funding because simply, its students dont want to attend, or learn! Now i can see downsizing that dept. and actually giving the states more control of how they're schools are funded(we'd like that alot in CA actually), but not elimanating the entire dept..
Also, if you want kids to learn, give them not only ethics and civics classes, but give them, vocational classes, so that they who arent good academically can find something they like to do and have a future carrer in, but thanks to Reagan we dont have those kinds of classes anymore, so yea do you really think kids are going to do well, when they just simply arent interested in school period!

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the Republican policies toward LGBT et cetera because based on my faith I don't approve of their lifestyle. I do agree that some of those potential candidates won't fair too well in regards to the LGBT population but, I'd rather them stick to their guns and continue to promote the policies they stood by.

As for education, I haven't been in the public school system for over a decade now so I don't have much of a clue on what is bad and good. My daughter and oldest son are both in home school so they learn in accordance to the rate at which either my wife or myself teach them. My daughter is already on a 4th/5th grade level at 8 and my son is a bit ahead and he just turned 5. When I was in school, the only thing I wish I had an opportunity at was the technology that is available now. Of course, that's more to the times and not what was being provided.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: 2012 U.S. Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby laojim » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Honestly, I don't have a problem with the Republican policies toward LGBT et cetera because based on my faith I don't approve of their lifestyle...

You might have a look at an old document called, "The Constitution of the United States of America." It doesn't mention or make any allowances for what you believe or approve of. Lots of people used to disapprove of how they imagined those colored folks lived and fashioned their policies and passed laws to make sure that their notions governed the country. Much to their surprise it turned out that it didn't matter what they believed or what faith they claimed to have. No difference. Irrelevant. Give it up.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:58 pm

And your point is? Please don't waste posts on trying to get me into a childish back and forth banter with you. You failed at it in the past and you will now. Besides, didn't you recently delete the content on some of your posts and decided you would go away once episode 95 of Sanguo was released? :wink: It's already available for upload (and has been for over a week), your call.

Give it up.

No.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby laojim » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:And your point is? Please don't waste posts on trying to get me into a childish back and forth banter with you..

So you regard any discussion of your unamerican position contrary to the constitution and the traditions of the nations as "childish?" Well, aren't you the puffed up darling of the day? Take some time and have a look at that constitution thingy some day, you might find it interesting."

(Just biding my time until all is revealed.)
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Does it state that I need to agree with anyone being allowed certain rights? No. Am I required to feel that they should be granted certain rights? No. Is it unamerican, as you put it, if I have views contingent to the Torah that is a pillar of my faith and against certain things? No, as the constitution itself lends to contradiction. If you want to defend gay rights, then do so without beating around the bush. Please stop lending yourself to irony. I'm not puffed up at all. But you are being childish in your antics, calling peoples views irrelevant because they don't agree with your own world of thought.

If you would have said, 'Zhuanyong, that's not right that you believe similar things regarding LGBT as do the general GOP populus etc' then perhaps we would have had something to talk about. But that question has already been answered. I don't care about parts of their agenda. I simply see an area in which we agree, albeit likely for different reasons. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that this country is not built on the Torah or the Bible. I understand completely that laws can be passed to grant certain rights and they would be well within their right to do so if they chose. Just the same, I don't have to agree with it nor promote those who do. Obviously, you're not promoting what you don't agree with. Last time I checked, it didn't say or imply believing otherwise would be unamerican.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 am

laojim wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:Honestly, I don't have a problem with the Republican policies toward LGBT et cetera because based on my faith I don't approve of their lifestyle...

You might have a look at an old document called, "The Constitution of the United States of America." It doesn't mention or make any allowances for what you believe or approve of. Lots of people used to disapprove of how they imagined those colored folks lived and fashioned their policies and passed laws to make sure that their notions governed the country. Much to their surprise it turned out that it didn't matter what they believed or what faith they claimed to have. No difference. Irrelevant. Give it up.

Where in the Constitution does it refer to what you're talking about?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Objectivist » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:34 am

laojim wrote:You might have a look at an old document called, "The Constitution of the United States of America." It doesn't mention or make any allowances for what you believe or approve of...Give it up.

It's funny how those on the left can jump all over the "Constitution" trump card when preventing people from making religious based decisions that would prevent gay marriage, while ignoring the document in every other single aspect possible.

You might have a look at that same document yourself.

There is actually nowhere in the document that says our federal government has the right to be involved in marriage. There is nowhere in the document authorizing our federal government to be involved in education. There is no constitutional authority for our government to take taxpayer dollars and give that money away to foreign nations through foreign aid. Either you believe the document should be strictly followed or you think it's dead and should be ignored. Either way you don't get to pick and choose what parts you want to uphold and what parts you do not.

Looks like Paul is the front runner in Iowa...Romney and Santorum are right by his side.
The philosophy of Liberty

---If you do not believe in self ownership, you believe in slavery. Looking at all of human history, Liberty is a new concept still being introduced to man and it is growing every single day.
Objectivist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ratzalot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:38 am

Last edited by Ratzalot on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ratzalot
Master

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:12 am

@Ratzalot - While I don't agree with homosexuality as a lifestyle or allowing those who live those lifestyles to marry, according to my faith - if it doesn't cause me to sin, I should live according to the laws of the land. Basically, that's it in a nutshell. If the state of TN chose to pass a law that allowed homosexual marriages, I wouldn't go into ballistic protest mode - I would just live with it. Either that or consider moving to another state (though it would be unlikely for me to do so). The laws are built to protect what you mentioned in your post.

I agree with your second paragraph. It's the reason why I find it hard to vote as well.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ratzalot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:44 am

Last edited by Ratzalot on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ratzalot
Master

Next

Return to Current Affairs