Is College a Scam?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Is College a Scam?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Striga wrote:Well, from what TMBJ just said, not only is college a scam, so is university. :lol:

In the US, college is the same thing as university. ;)

This is true but, I would like to add that some people do separate them a bit. College, while it can generally be considered a university in conversation, is sometimes the reference of a smaller school. University, on the other hand, is then the reference to a bigger college or school. Example being, I wouldn't call ITT a university. I would call it a college. I would call Florida State a university. I wouldn't call a CC or JC, a university but rather a college.

(NOTE: to those who may not know of the reference, CC = community college, JC= junior college)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 am

I think society puts too much stock into college. It's not necessary for all people or even most people. Sadly it's necessary for me because nobody would ever hire me as a teacher, even though I've been hired as a tutor sometimes (and currently), without a college degree. Eventually I will need to finish college so I can do what I actually want to do with my life. I think a more practical person would skip college and choose a career that is more profitable with less money invested, but unfortunately I'm not a very pragmatic person in this sense.

On the other hand, I did skip out on going to UC Santa Barbara and went to a community college instead, and in hindsight I think this was a good idea because it probably saved a lot of money without me losing out on much. I've struggled with this decision I made for a long time, and flip-flopped back and forth on whether I regretted it. Recently I've realized that most of the classes I've taken in community colleges were classes that I "had" to take but was not particularly interested in, and that it wouldn't have mattered at all if I had taken them at a higher level. I'll save higher level universities for when I delve further academically into history and chinese. :twisted:

If you want a job with INCREDIBLE job security, I'd suggest taking a course in counseling and becoming a college counselor. College may not be all that useful, but the expectations people have of it make college counseling a much more lucrative career than it ought to be. If all else fails, I will probably go that route.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:28 pm

SlickSlicer wrote:On the other hand, I did skip out on going to UC Santa Barbara and went to a community college instead, and in hindsight I think this was a good idea because it probably saved a lot of money without me losing out on much.

That's what I did. Unless someone else is paying your way, doing those non-major High School 2.0 courses are a complete waste of money at a 4-year. Besides, who really wants to take English 101 in a lecture hall with 200 other students when you can enjoy a more laid-back atmosphere in a Community College class of 20, where the instructor gets mad if you call him/her by their last name?

But I'll never knock the institution itself. I think everybody who has the brains for it should go. But unless someone starts kicking some asses, those tuition rates (which fund BS like that Ivory Tower gymnasium I mentioned earlier) will go up and up as long as they can fill those seats.

bodidley wrote:Clearly the education system has failed you TooMuch; it didn't teach you how to be smooth with the ladies :wink:

Only Roger Sterling could be suave after a mugging.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Jordan wrote:On the other hand, I did skip out on going to UC Santa Barbara and went to a community college instead, and in hindsight I think this was a good idea because it probably saved a lot of money without me losing out on much. I've struggled with this decision I made for a long time, and flip-flopped back and forth on whether I regretted it. Recently I've realized that most of the classes I've taken in community colleges were classes that I "had" to take but was not particularly interested in, and that it wouldn't have mattered at all if I had taken them at a higher level. I'll save higher level universities for when I delve further academically into history and chinese. :twisted:

Isn't the point of higher education in the U.S. nowadays largely credentialism? There are also a lot of institutions that provide degrees that "check the block" and have a questionable level of academic rigor. While the reasons for the prestige of one institution over another are frequently illogical, I think that the benefits graduates of prestigious colleges receive are almost immeasurable.
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

bodidley wrote:While the reasons for the prestige of one institution over another are frequently illogical, I think that the benefits graduates of prestigious colleges receive are almost immeasurable.

I concur. I've had mentions of my Cornell education in a positive light several times, especially, on interviews. Personally, it was for the potential of that very reason as to why I chose human resources from there in the first place. So I utilize the Industrial School of Labor Relations every chance I can milk it. :lol:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:42 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I concur. I've had mentions of my Cornell education in a positive light several times, especially, on interviews.

They're probably impressed you didn't off yourself from stress (forgive me if that happened to be too close to home). Does Cornell or MIT have the higher suicide rate?

That also brings up the question, are young people being pressured too much to make it into the education elite?

Acceptance into college is frequently like playing roulette. An eminently qualified student might get turned down from a swarm of eminently qualified students while the same school takes a chance on an underachiever. Perhaps the lesson is that you have to fight to show how great you are against all the credentialism. One of the reasons I was interested in photography as a career field when I was finishing high school was that a portfolio speaks for itself, you can either take great photos or you can't.
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

bodidley wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:I concur. I've had mentions of my Cornell education in a positive light several times, especially, on interviews.

They're probably impressed you didn't off yourself from stress (forgive me if that happened to be too close to home). Does Cornell or MIT have the higher suicide rate?

I thought about that. :lol: Cornell seems to have a higher suicide rate. It wouldn't be surprising since there were so many cases of suicide popping up on national news outlets for a few months once the economy hit the recession hard two years ago.

That also brings up the question, are young people being pressured too much to make it into the education elite?

Acceptance into college is frequently like playing roulette. An eminently qualified student might get turned down from a swarm of eminently qualified students while the same school takes a chance on an underachiever. Perhaps the lesson is that you have to fight to show how great you are against all the credentialism. One of the reasons I was interested in photography as a career field when I was finishing high school was that a portfolio speaks for itself, you can either take great photos or you can't.

I believe that young people are being pressured too much in some form of the sense. Part of the problem is, in my opinion, when you look at other countries like China & India where education is stressed, this country is trying to keep up so to speak without changing the dynamics of how education is presented. Instead of learning at higher levels and the deeper complexities of the field of learning, young people are stressed that getting higher grades and going to a prestigious college is the way the succeed. At the end of the day, a lot of these people are carrying these high end M.B.A's, PH.d's, et cetera without any substantial gain career-wise based on the price they paid for them.

If someone would ask, I'd tell them getting their M.B.A at University of Phoenix is just as good as going to big school for it. My belief is that if anything we should change what is being learned rather than what school's name appears on the degree in which it was learned.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhilong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 am

SunXia wrote:Universities here are always willing to accept foreign students because they get more money or something for them!!

And come on, it's not like England is Spain weather-wise!! Liverpool rains all the time!! More so than any place I have ever been!!

Go further north into scotland and rainfall increases by 50%. :D
"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Zhilong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Shang Fong Valley with petrol bombs waiting for yours truly.

Unread postby Striga » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 am

Rainfall, or snow? If you go too far, there won't be any rainfall at all.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I suppose these days I can say that I hold higher learning and college in a light of importance. I will officially be spending about the next 3+ years obtaining my Master's in Human Resource Management, or Master's of Human and Organizational Development (HR) if I can swing the last two of those years at Vanderbilt.

I considered a straight MBA but decided since my career path is already in Human Resources, I might as well stick with it on that level.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs