Attacks in Norway

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Attacks in Norway

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:28 am

Crazedmongoose wrote:
It's debatable whether the 21 years is too short. But right now, I'm so impressed by the way both the political, judicial and civil sphere of Norway has responded to Breivik that I don't feel like I know more than them enough to lecture them.

I think 21 years is the maximum sentence?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Well you can give sequential life sentences can't you?

Like the maximum in my state is 21 or 27 years or something, but in the case of a serial murderer or something you just hand down like 5 life sentences - 100+ years, one for every killing.
Last edited by Crazedmongoose on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Not sure the Norway law on that one but they can extend it to an effective life sentence as long as the prisoner is still deemed a danger.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Anders Behring Breivik has been granted permission to study political science modules from the University of Oslo but will have to do it from his cell.

I admire their refusal to change the laws just based on one man's crime but to treat him within the existing rules.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs