Terrorist attacks in London 2012 Olympics?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Terrorist attacks in London 2012 Olympics?

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I heard on a sports radio, that the possibility of a terrorist attack on the 2012 Olympics is "Very Strong", which means that a terrorist attack is almost certain. Should countries let their athletes go to danger in the Olympics? Opinions?
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Terrorist attacks in London 2012 Olympics?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:02 pm

This seems more a current affairs section thing so may move this tomorrow.

I heard on a sports radio, that the possibility of a terrorist attack on the 2012 Olympics is "Very Strong", which means that a terrorist attack is almost certain

London has been on very high alert for terrorism since... well pretty much the day the Twin Towers fell. Our police have been dealing with a lot of plots ever since, including failure on one major occasion, so yes it is dangerous.

It hasn't just be London though. Any major sporting event, of which the Olympics are the biggest, is a risk. The Beijing Olympics, the World Cup in South Africa, the Royal Wedding (ok a non sporting event but you get the idea) and so on, all at risk of another Munich. After all, with so many people (including stars) at those events even if you can't get at the athletes, a successful terrorism attack would be big news. We all have to hope the police keep ahead of them and nobody slips through the new

Should countries let their athletes go to danger in the Olympics?

"You know that once in a lifetime opportunity you have built your entire life around? The biggest sporting event in the world? Yeah, that one. Your not going because big events are a risk of terrorism!" I doubt the athletes would be at all happy. This is their chance to become a legend, to be the best in the world at what they do, or even the best of all time, why take it away from them?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Human5 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:14 pm

What about possible 10th anniversary 9-11 attacks? I also heard that many key US politics people are being targeted, as said from some Intel found in Bin Ladin's secret compound place.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Quite possible and I imagine security services in the West will be making preparations for that.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Our security forces are much better prepared for the attempted terriorist attacks then they were 10 years ago. Yes there is a risk and I expect their will be multiple attempts but I don't think any would come off. As an athelete I'd think the risk is worth it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Current Affairs