The World Economics Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The World Economics Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Boydie wrote:Greece should of never been aloud to join the currency union in the first place. As much the fault of the members of the currency union than Greece.

Indeed. Not that the rest of the Eurozone seems to want to take any responsibility for that
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Deal seems to be done, subject to Greek Parliament approval, despite rows between EU finance ministers over Wolfgang Schäuble's stance. Not sure Greece will be happy at all with the international oversight but I believe they get funds
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 am

IMF has attacked the EU bailout of Greece for not providing debt relief, the forecasts on growth are ridiculous as are demands for that level of budget surplus every year while ignoring the Greek banking system needing reform.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Yeah, actually the way EU handled this problem is so sad and stupid...
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 am

China has cut the value of the Yuan twice in two days, US not happy and seem to suspect a currency war. Others fear it is the sign that China's economy may be about to crash
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 am

Dong Zhou wrote:China has cut the value of the Yuan twice in two days, US not happy and seem to suspect a currency war. Others fear it is the sign that China's economy may be about to crash

Does an economic collapse seem likely? I was under the impression that China's economy was quite good, among the world's leaders.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:50 pm

There have been worried about China bubble starting to collapse for a few months, there was a stock market collapse not that long ago so this has been quietly building for awhile. Maybe not a full blown crash but China's economy could be hitting a rough patch
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:41 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Chin ... rket_crash

In June-July 2015, the Shanghai stock exchange's value fell by a third, stabilized, and then fell 8.5% on July 27th. Is the decline over? Maybe. Maybe not.

So I'd say a recession (if not an outright depression) is likely, and the yuan devaluing is just an attempt to prevent it from being worse. I am not, however, an economist.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:05 am

So DragonAtma was crearly right, the point is that the recession probably would be next year and not that one (since the big Chinese stock market crash didn't happen yet).

So my question is: does someons knows if Chinese companies are paying profits after or before Chinese new year? I think that if they pay after Chinese New Year, around the 10th of February would be the next fall in the stock markets...
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Swiss 50-year yield falls below zero for the first time. All Swiss bond yields are now negative. Brexit being blamed as people seek a safe market
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs