Middle East: Passion & Protest

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Middle East: Passion & Protest

Unread postby Hussam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I meant Russia rather then Assad saw the propaganda and symbolism of taking that city

As you said the symbolism and propaganda not really caring for its valuable ancient ruins. Man, I still remember visiting the city as a child and being fascinated by the story of Zenobia.
Now, most of it is either destroyed or stolen.
عالندا الندا الندا و الورد مفتح ع خدا
و إن ما عطيوني ياكي يا جبال العالي لهدا
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Hussam » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:38 am

At least 125 people died yesterday in an explosion in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad and ISIS claims responsibility.
Such heartbreaking news, O Allah will we ever return to peace again.
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Hussam » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:11 am

A suicide bombing in Medina right near Al Masjid An Nabawi (Prophet's Mosque) killed four security officers and injured five.
Two other similar attacks happened in other Saudi cities, although without casualties.
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:03 pm

IS just attacked Medina. Very stupid.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Hussam wrote:At least 125 people died yesterday in an explosion in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad and ISIS claims responsibility.
Such heartbreaking news, O Allah will we ever return to peace again.

This is truly horrific. Prayers and thoughts for Baghdad, for the victims and their families and friends.

Ya Rabo irham.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Hussam » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 am

WeiWenDi wrote:This is truly horrific. Prayers and thoughts for Baghdad, for the victims and their families and friends.

Ya Rabo irham.

Amen ya rab.
Are you good at Arabic WWD ?
Hussam
Student

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Hussam wrote:
WeiWenDi wrote:This is truly horrific. Prayers and thoughts for Baghdad, for the victims and their families and friends.

Ya Rabo irham.

Amen ya rab.
Are you good at Arabic WWD ?

Sadly not.

I got to the point where I could do parts of the Liturgy in Arabic: I can say the Trisagion and the Lord's Prayer in Arabic, for example. I can exchange basic greetings. That's about it.

Anyway, sorry about abruptly ending our conversation in the other thread; it's just that I'm way too guilty myself of getting threads off the rails onto tangents that I really tend to watch myself and my own responses nowadays when I'm not posting as frequently.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Hussam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:Sadly not.

I got to the point where I could do parts of the Liturgy in Arabic: I can say the Trisagion and the Lord's Prayer in Arabic, for example. I can exchange basic greetings. That's about it.

Anyway, sorry about abruptly ending our conversation in the other thread; it's just that I'm way too guilty myself of getting threads off the rails onto tangents that I really tend to watch myself and my own responses nowadays when I'm not posting as frequently.

Well, don't give up. It can be overwhelming a bit but that's how it is with almost everything.

What got you interested in Arabic ? Did you learn any of the dialects ? Did you learn to write in Arabic ?

Nothing to be sorry about, it was the right thing to do. I also have that tendency.
So where were we ?
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Hussam » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 am

A coup d'etat has been attempted in Turkey, but it seems to have been a failure so far.
Really loved the Turkish People reaction, such solidarity.
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Hussam » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:55 pm

About 181 dead as a result of the coup in Turkey and over 2000 soldiers detained.
On a side note, the "Syrian Army" and the pro-Assad militias were shooting recklessly in celebration the first instance rumors about the coup spread, right here in Damascus, what a disgrace.
Hussam
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs