Middle East: Passion & Protest

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Middle East: Passion & Protest

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:32 am

WeiWenDi wrote:Personally, I'm struggling to understand this latest round of developments myself. But given that (in my limited understanding of the situation) the only real skin we have in the game at this point is essentially all on Obama's face, and Russia's proposal - even if toothless - would allow him an 'out' in order to save it, I would hesitate to call even such a move an 'obvious Syrian and Russian victory'. It is a Russian victory PR-wise, since as I noted on FB it makes Putin look like the only adult in the room, but it's difficult to see how they stand to gain any tangible tactical advantage from their own proposal. (I'm not saying they can't, mind you; I'm just saying they don't seem to be playing the same game we are.)

You may disagree, though, since I note that I have a much narrower and classically-Realist definition of the national interest than you sometimes seem to.

I agree with much of what you stated here. I've kind of tuned out the news for the past week, however, aside from the occasional listen here and there. Faith-based days and work consumes much of my time so I just figured I'd wait a while and come back to read the posts here. :lol: You all track the news at a level that I haven't for a few months now.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:15 am

Zhuanyong wrote:Faith-based days and work consumes much of my time so I just figured I'd wait a while and come back to read the posts here. :lol: You all track the news at a level that I haven't for a few months now.

Yeah I know right! I did the same thing in the UK politics thread :lol:
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:46 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:Faith-based days and work consumes much of my time so I just figured I'd wait a while and come back to read the posts here. :lol: You all track the news at a level that I haven't for a few months now.

Yeah I know right! I did the same thing in the UK politics thread :lol:

Indeed! :D Lately, it has all seemed like the same news report over and over again with a different title.

Example: The Foreign Minister of France says there is "no doubt" the Syrian government used chemical weapons, disagreeing with Russia.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Anyone got an idea why Egypt's interim Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi has resigned?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:20 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Anyone got an idea why Egypt's interim Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi has resigned?

This allows Abdel Fattah al-Sissi to start his campaign.

The army is trying to effectively take back the power it lost in the arab springs and this popular figure seems the best way to do it.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:17 pm

So what do people think of Russia's drawn down in Syria? Seems like it has gone very well for Russia (and Assad) since his surprise decision to launch strikes but is he now thinking there will be (sooner rather then later) some sort of Syria settlement and then everyone pounds on Isil?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Palmyra, one of Syria's and the world's archaeological and historical treasures, has been liberated by the Syrian Arab Army and Hizbullah, with air support from Russia. Happy day!

Dong Zhou wrote:So what do people think of Russia's drawn down in Syria? Seems like it has gone very well for Russia (and Assad) since his surprise decision to launch strikes but is he now thinking there will be (sooner rather then later) some sort of Syria settlement and then everyone pounds on Isil?

IMHO? It's being overstated, just as the initial Russian involvement was overstated by Western media.

The Russian bases in Tartus and Latakia are still being maintained. Russia has only pulled out her ground troops after a limited-term operation, as Putin promised would be done in the first place after the objective of strengthening SAA positions was complete. They were only there in the first place to give support to the SAA, and Russian planes are, as the National Interest article notes, still flying sorties over Daesh-held territory in support of SAA ground operations.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 am

WeiWenDi wrote:Palmyra, one of Syria's and the world's archaeological and historical treasures, has been liberated by the Syrian Arab Army and Hizbullah, with air support from Russia. Happy day!

Wasn't Putin meant to have beaten Isil by now? Failure! :wink:

Teasing aside, this is good symbolically and should lift morale. Going to take a lot of money to repair what damage is possible though

IMHO? It's being overstated, just as the initial Russian involvement was overstated by Western media.

The Russian bases in Tartus and Latakia are still being maintained. Russia has only pulled out her ground troops after a limited-term operation, as Putin promised would be done in the first place after the objective of strengthening SAA positions was complete. They were only there in the first place to give support to the SAA, and Russian planes are, as the National Interest article notes, still flying sorties over Daesh-held territory in support of SAA ground operations.

That seems to make more sense. Thanks
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Hussam » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:21 am

That "Liberation" doesn't seem as bright as you might think. I don't think the government (Syrian government) cared much about the historical significance of the city, it just wants to retrieve whatever land it could and maybe push towards Deir Azzor to try and support its isolated front there.
Plus, Hezbollah's presence in Syria is a fuel for sectarianism and a reason some might show a bit of sympathy to ISIL.
The Russian airstrikes (in general) have probably killed more innocent civilians than "terrorists" and the country is basically a cake that everyone wants to take "its" share from.
عالندا الندا الندا و الورد مفتح ع خدا
و إن ما عطيوني ياكي يا جبال العالي لهدا
Hussam
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 am

I meant Russia rather then Assad saw the propaganda and symbolism of taking that city
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs