8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Muirghiel wrote:Also, the leak in the reactor has been managed, but the reactors are still too hot.

This article is interesting, discussing the long history that Japan has with tsunamis.

With that long history and the fact that they were the most prepared nation in the world for such a disaster, should prove much to everyone else in the wake of what mankind can really do when it comes to natural disasters.

Absolutely nothing!

I just hope that the quakes will cease for the allowance of some form of recovery.

Starscream wrote:Here's a sequel to Japan's woes. More earthquakes...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... SS20110407

Wow, I didn't know about that.

I also heard on CNN, or maybe I read it, that they were actually dumping the radioactive water into the ocean rather than it depositing naturally or due to excess.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Muirghiel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:04 pm

That was a mistranslation of Japanese news stories. Water was flowing rapidly from a crack somewhere in the reactor taking radioactive material with it as they tried to pump in sea water to keep the reactor cool.

"Aftershock" is common, particularly in Japan. This is probably the worst seismic activity we've seen since the 1930's. There have been earthquakes, obviously, but I guess way more pressure had built up than was being released. Makes me wonder if this is it, or if there's worse to come.

It makes total sense now why people are more worried about more earthquakes than they are of the threat of nuclear meltdown. I really don't blame them, especially since most Japanese arent old enough to remember Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
My head rests on the pillow. The quilt is warm and smooth. I am peaceful.
Sunshine on the door, the curtain is not yet drawn.
The morning air retains the youthful taste of spring
briefly come, arriving while I was sleeping.

~Bai Juyi
Muirghiel
Apprentice

Unread postby Muirghiel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:23 pm

And they just upped the severity of the radiation leakage to equate it with Chernobyl. That makes it a level 7 where before it had been a 5 (equivallent with 3 Mile Island).

~Bai Juyi
Muirghiel
Apprentice

Unread postby Da Chao » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 am

I was also told of a rumor they may be moving the capital to Osaka, due to the radiation.

At least with Chernobyl, they had it started to be blocked off within about a month, but this is still ongoing. Granted, the circumstances are different, but that doesn't change how scary it is.
“However, you may return and tell Sun Quan to wash his neck: the executioner is coming!”
[且放汝回去,說與孫權,洗頸就戮!]
Da Chao
Initiate

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

The subsequent bigger earthquakes in these few days are not simply "just another quake" imo. I think they have quite a psychological impact on the Japanese people, especially since demolished houses, corpses, etc are still lying around 1 month after the big one hit. Many are still homeless and worrying about their future and lost friends and family. And having several more high-level earthquakes, not counting the dozens of aftershocks that were usually not reported in international papers daily is probably enough to make the most optimistic person lose confidence in the future. Plus of course, reports of the danger level of the nuclear plants see-sawing daily, bringing you hopes in the morning, but crushing it in the very same evening.

Now are the discussions on relocating the refugees and compensating for property loss etc. I think the financial and psychological strain of the Japanese folks in those regions cannot be described. :roll:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Muirghiel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

The Japanese have always rallied in the past. I have no doubt in my mind that Japan will emerge, brush herself off, and act like nothing has happened (at least, that's how she will present herself to the outside world).

But you're absolutely right. There will be a lot of changes. The mood in Japan will no doubt be much darker.

~Bai Juyi
Muirghiel
Apprentice

Unread postby Patricoo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Muirghiel wrote:The Japanese have always rallied in the past. I have no doubt in my mind that Japan will emerge, brush herself off, and act like nothing has happened (at least, that's how she will present herself to the outside world).

But you're absolutely right. There will be a lot of changes. The mood in Japan will no doubt be much darker.

Darker, but still with bright colors and happy faces.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby Tian Shan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 am

I am doing a report for the Physical Health Hazards of Radiation and the events from Fukushima. There are several contradictory studies, and I am just wondering if anyone has some experience(first hand or second hand) or expertise in this field? Or anyone who is currently living in Japan or was since then? That would like to share with me what the current outlook of some of its people are?
(I was in Japan for more than a year and half but left in December of 2010)
“If intelligence is defined as the ability to understand, learn and reason then Mankind is the least intelligent species on this planet . Abusing and destroying nature and other creatures is destroying themselves.-"

"Peace be with you."
Tian Shan
Initiate

Previous

Return to Current Affairs