8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan

Unread postby Lassic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Doesn't sound like they managed to get things very under control. They say that the reactor was not breached, but it's still speculation at this point. I just hope that they are right.
"Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?"
Lassic
Apprentice

Unread postby devtherev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 pm

In either case looks like people who lived any where near are in at least a little trouble. Not a very good thing :( I share your sentiments Lassic.
devtherev
Scholar

Unread postby laojim » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

I got a note from number one son who tells me that he got a note from number two son in Japan that he is fine and didn't feel the first one at all. He felt some of the aftershocks, but apparently he missed all the excitement.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:11 pm

More dead being found than living

Very sad indeed. There are echoes of Haiti and the tsunami that hit about 7 years in the Indian ocean -- they're saying the major difference with Haiti, of course, is that the quake wasn't where the major damage came in.

Then you have nuclear meltdown fears. Naoto Kan, Japan's Prime Minister, also recently stated that this is Japans worst disaster since WWII.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:17 pm

devtherev wrote:In either case looks like people who lived any where near are in at least a little trouble. Not a very good thing :( I share your sentiments Lassic.

Last I heard the structure around a second reactor exploded. As was the first case, the metal containment for the core is still intact. When the explosion took place a region around a reporter was passed a warning and they feared another tsunami. They were relieved when they found out what it really was...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Relieved my foot!!

Potentially we have a nuclear disaster that could occur and that doesn't sound something to be ok with, esspecially considering how populous Japan,and the city of Fukushima are.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Potentially we have a nuclear disaster that could occur and that doesn't sound something to be ok with, esspecially considering how populous Japan,and the city of Fukushima are.

I think you missed the point. This experience has been so terrible that the threat expressed by this explosion was lesser than that of another tsunami/earthquake disaster. In other words, something which would normally have qualified as a terrible potential disaster warranting worldwide coverage has been trumped by a far greater natural disaster and any possible repeat performance. They're living through (or not) a disaster many of us could not even begin to imagine experiencing.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:17 am

Errr, let me get this straight....

Non being used as power fuel rods in the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant are begginning to overheat causing explosions and Radiation becuase there isn't a constant supply of coolent keeping the highly radioactive fuel rods at ideal temperatures.

The facts also being that nobody can get to them with enough water to cool it because of huge radiation in the Area!
Potential Nuclear Disaster looming, CNN is all over it!
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yuan Ke » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 am

I haven't heard the latest on the overheating fuel rods but information suggests the fire at #4 is out (again) so that's good at least. Radiation-wise, even the people working directly at the site have only been lightly contaminated, as in 'have a nice soapy shower that should fix it.' While the situation is not good at the nuclear plant, it is not nearly as bad as pretty much every media outlet has been reporting. Sometimes you'd barely know there was a tsunami the way they keep going on about the plant.

Anyway, the thread on SA does it's best to keep updated on what's going on and has been far more helpful to me so far than the commercial media: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817

Edit: apparently the fire is back now? It should make up its mind already.

Edit Edit: now reports of radiation increases at the site and personnel having to evacuate? previous information 2 days out of date? TEPCO are really screwing the pooch on this one.

Editx3: Just some of the firefighters pulled back apparently, i wish every report didn't contradict every other report that would be nice.
Yuan Ke
Apprentice

Unread postby Patricoo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:48 am

I don't think anyone has any faith in this not exploding. Oh look! This comes with a graph of projected plumes to the US!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/scien ... me.html?hp
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs