Libya: Civil War and Restoration

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Libya: Civil War Looming?

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

From his OMGLONGBORING speech today, this was really worth it;

"I demand that the UN send some fact-finding parties to investigate the matter, all those who got killed, were killed by the rebels. The rebels are being supported by Al-Qaeda, and they're attacking police stations, that's why we have units around, and they're recruiting our youth with drugs. The dead rebels and policemen died when the rebels attacked police stations and policemen died defending their posts! send some fact-finding parties and see for yourselves! see where did they die! ask them! [...]"

That made me roll on the floor laughing lol, he was so serious when he said it :P
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:40 pm

What I found interesting was this part --

This comes from a CNN ticker:

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi abrubtly ended a 2-hour, 20-minute speech by saying,

"The American president will leave office, the European leaders will leave their offices, and Gadhafi will still be a leader."

Two hours into his speech, Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi mentioned President Obama.

"I think Obama is quite reasonable," he said. "He is not a yankee like Bush or Clinton, he's a reasonable person. He's capable to avoid another Iraq or Afghanistan. ... (However,) if they want to challenge us, we accept the challenge. Then we will distribute arms to 2 or 3 million and we won't care about killing them. We will defend the honor of all our innocent people. ... We will enter an honorable battle."

Sounds like a challenge to me.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

I changed the channel halfway, didn't know he said that. He also crictised some arabian rulers like King Abdullah (KSA) and Prince Hamad (Qatar).

I still think he'll end up assassinated, and i'll laugh so hard if what he said happens to be true.
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby Patricoo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Rebels said to have repelled Loyalists.

I've read a few pages back and it seems like this sort of counterattack should have been expected. I think it was once said that the region's topography is 'a strategist's dream and a quartermaster's nightmare.' They could be repulsing the immediate loyalist attacks, but whats that mean? Will everything break down completely and fighting break out everywhere or does this failure mean its rebels all the way?
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

The civillians are forced to learn gun weidling, both sexes, in Libya. Many tribes are armoured, the army is made of various ethinicies and faithes, and the topography is indeed amazing; don't forget what did Omar Al Mokhtar do to the italians with it. The ruler is plain insane and the country is ran weirdly.

So yeah, a civil war was expected.
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:03 pm

I read through the following part of his (Gadhafi's) speech, and now I believe I have a better understanding of his mind --

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi criticized and even joked about the U.N. Security Council's move to freeze Libyan assets.

"They don't have the right or the legitimacy to freeze Libyan assets," he said. "... It's looting, that's quite clear to the naked eye. ... I found it funny when they said they would attach my assets. I have no assets. I said give me some assets. Give me one million dinar. My assets are history, the people."

But he turned serious and said the Libyan people would not stand for such "piracy."

He has to be taken seriously but, he is talking quite tall tale in regards to his relationship & that of the government in regards to his people. He also has committed some horrendous crimes but, I'm beginning to wonder about some things surrounding this situation and other country's stake in it all. (Trying to apply some of that Critical Thinking they teach in college...)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:26 pm

This is becoming a war?

I always thought when people are fighting each other with fists and guns and that gives way to bombings it is called war.

I truly believe now that it isn't necessarily what Gadhafi is covering up but what the media is also falsely representing in this. I believe that language is poor compared to the actual situation.

The only difference, in my opinion, is that it hasn't escalated to full scale warfare.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Patricoo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:This is becoming a war?

I always thought when people are fighting each other with fists and guns and that gives way to bombings it is called war.

I truly believe now that it isn't necessarily what Gadhafi is covering up but what the media is also falsely representing in this. I believe that language is poor compared to the actual situation.

The only difference, in my opinion, is that it hasn't escalated to full scale warfare.

I don't think its just misrepresentation as a complete lack of people who are able to gather information. No one seems 100% sure whats going on and the "war" is more like a series of raids and bombings with very little advance in territory control.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Patricoo wrote:the "war" is more like a series of raids and bombings with very little advance in territory control.

Indeed, as it appears.

I do believe that if Gadhafi did one thing correct (for his cause or as he puts it the people's cause), it was scaring international journalists out of that country to ensure that it is misrepresented.

But it's not just physical war that I'm referring to here. There is psychological warfare going on each and everyday. Then you have other forms of violence and attacks being carried on the populace i.e. the denial of food and resources. I would very much so call it a war at this point.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Patricoo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:
Patricoo wrote:the "war" is more like a series of raids and bombings with very little advance in territory control.

Indeed, as it appears.

I do believe that if Gadhafi did one thing correct (for his cause or as he puts it the people's cause), it was scaring international journalists out of that country to ensure that it is misrepresented.

But it's not just physical war that I'm referring to here. There is psychological warfare going on each and everyday. Then you have other forms of violence and attacks being carried on the populace i.e. the denial of food and resources. I would very much so call it a war at this point.

I agree, but believe there are lot of international protocols, alarms and papers that must be done if the term war is used. Thats probably why we're seeing a reluctance of anyone in any government to call it that.
Patricoo
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs