WikiLeaks: Revealing Open Secrets

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: WikiLeaks: Revealing Open Secrets

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 am

On a lighter note, Assange was involved in what I consider a new low in news reporting: CNN has posted his old OkCupid dating profile...as their headline. They go into juicy details about what he wants in a woman and how he took a test proving him to be "kinkier" than the average user...the whole thing comes across as some immature celebrity tabloid article. I mean, regardless of what you think of the man, this has to be the most pathetic attempt at character assassination I believe I've ever seen.

However, it's all worth it just to see his profile photo. You ever have a bad yearbook photo you don't want anyone to see?
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:04 am

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:On a lighter note, Assange was involved in what I consider a new low in news reporting: CNN has posted his old OkCupid dating profile...as their headline. They go into juicy details about what he wants in a woman and how he took a test proving him to be "kinkier" than the average user...the whole thing comes across as some immature celebrity tabloid article.

Oh, the irony. The sweet, sweet irony...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:02 am

Nothing more than further petty attempts to make Assange look like the big bad.

But after Sarah Palin said that we should hunt Assange down like Al Qaeda, it doesn't surprise me that this whole story was going to be spun. And yes I know that this is old news, but I just heard about it. Seriously the more I hear about this story, the more I feel sorry for this guy. Overall, my opinion is still that he did something wrong, but I also feel the same way as CrazedMongoose does about this whole thing.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah, it's kind of like a guy that pockets a loaf of bread having the CIA tracking him down so that "enhanced interrogation techniques" can be used to ask about the crime.

This dating site thing is no surprise. If you're famous, this sort of thing is going to get passed off as news. I have a saying about that :"Shocking news! *celebrity* had lunch!"
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Gray Riders wrote:I have a saying about that :"Shocking news! *celebrity* had lunch!"

That's funny, but it's only worthwhile if it backs or gives the feeling of apparent truth to the situation. It is rather convenient that Assange was accused of rape and then all of a sudden, records showing his kinky nature and what he is into in regards to women was released.

It only gives to some the 'apparent' truth that he did rape those women. The fact of the matter is it is just fodder for public opinion. I believe he may have or probably did rape those women - if they are telling the truth then he did it simple as that. Yes, rape is rape anyway you cut it. But this is starting to shape out into more of a smear campaign of Wikileaks and I'm beginning to question a few things in all of this.

*But it is definitely keeping everyone, including us here talking about it :wink:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:That's funny, but it's only worthwhile if it backs or gives the feeling of apparent truth to the situation. It is rather convenient that Assange was accused of rape and then all of a sudden, records showing his kinky nature and what he is into in regards to women was released.

It only gives to some the 'apparent' truth that he did rape those women. The fact of the matter is it is just fodder for public opinion. I believe he may have or probably did rape those women - if they are telling the truth then he did it simple as that. Yes, rape is rape anyway you cut it. But this is starting to shape out into more of a smear campaign of Wikileaks and I'm beginning to question a few things in all of this.

*But it is definitely keeping everyone, including us here talking about it :wink:

Somehow I hadn't linked that dating site to the charges, possibly because it seems so much like something you'd see popping up on a gossip site about Tom Cruise.

The saying goes a bit deeper than it looks; for it me it also includes the fact that, once your famous, you can't get away with anything--even things you don't do--in the public eye (though I'm not deciding yet whether this case is real or trumped up). With a regular celeb, anything they do is noteworthy, but once a scandal comes up the media does it's best to "link" the scandal to their past. This reminds me of Roscoe Arbuckle's trial; when he was charged wild stories popped up in the newspaper about him.

So, like clockwork, now that Assange is charged with rape, the media does it's best to connect him to it, as you noted. Indeed, the situations are so similar I doubt him angering the government is much of a factor at all--only that he's a figure garnering a lot of attention.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:31 pm

I think Assange is probably a pretty unpleasant person personally. Everything seems to suggest it, from his coworkers' open rebellion with open-leaks to all the stuff we're digging up. But it doesn't make wikileaks less relevant. Michael Moore was also an unpleasant person, doesn't make what he was saying less relevant.

Also guys, in regards to the rape thing, for all the anti-Assange smear the media is allegedly doing (I honestly don't see too much outside of Fox News) the biggest smear is still pro-Assange, at the cost of the nation state of Sweden of course:

http://jessicavalenti.com/2010/12/10/aol-news-at-the-center-of-%E2%80%9Csex-by-surprise%E2%80%9D-lie-in-assanges-rape-case/
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 am

Over here, it seemed like the initial reaction was highly pro Assange, Sweden going from a country that, when brought up, was used as an example of how things could be done to "puppet of the US". It also allowed everyone to give the USA a good kicking which is always popular

Now Sweden is still evil puppet but more cynical about Assange. Wiki leaks's rep has gone up after the initial reaction of "was that it? Boring" and some unhappiness as they feared it might cost lives.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Over here, it seemed like the initial reaction was highly pro Assange, Sweden going from a country that, when brought up, was used as an example of how things could be done to "puppet of the US". It also allowed everyone to give the USA a good kicking which is always popular.

I think one thing that is consciously ignored in the media is that Wikileaks doesn't just air America's dirty laundry; a lot of other nations have been portrayed as not a little underhanded themselves. I remember reading a few passages about how elements of the CCP are absolutely fed up with North Korea and Burma, about Iran's warmongering, about Saudi Arabia funding extremists, and so on. So in some ways, Wikileaks has justified some of America's actions. I'd always seen them as a truly neutral force, dedicated solely to transparency (even at a cost), and I think this helps confirm my belief. But, that's just one opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11966136
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/worl ... leaks-iran
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/de ... st-funding
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:47 pm

It may have revealed stuff about other nations but all the content was acquired from SIPRNet. China's attitude wasn't leaked from a Chinese insider.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs