WikiLeaks: Revealing Open Secrets

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: WikiLeaks: Revealing Open Secrets

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Doesn't anyone think it wrong to post state secrets?
sorry to sound peronioed but after the He said She said world leader thing went up i thought some country, like Iran was going to get nuked!! After all these world leaders take comments so damn seriosly, thatr its funny. :lol:
so azerjaban dont like Russia i mean gee, they only ruled them for about 70 years....
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Twitter.

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Doesn't anyone think it wrong to post state secrets?

A) State secrets should be retainable as long as they don't cover up corruption.
B) Excepting A, and cases where secrecy is necessary for it to function, the state should be transparent.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 pm

James wrote: the state should be transparent.

I'm sorry but I don't believe any state or country for that matter is transparent regardless of what they state and honestly shouldn't be. For that purpose among others, we have organizations sprouting about i.e. Wikileaks and it gives the allure that we are receiving information that the government doesn't want to let out and otherwise are hiding.

I'm not sure if this country (meaning the collective) could handle or operate at even the current weakened structure knowing some of the things that are probably really going on. Looking at it from a parenting (governing) perspective, our parents don't tell us everything they know and we really don't need to know why they do what they do. In the same case, our government is such - there are certainly things that we should know however, there are also those things that we don't know and for obvious reasons to those in power clearly don't need to know.

Transparency sounds nice, but I believe the after effect proves the process itself would be flawed.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:11 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I'm sorry but I don't believe any state or country for that matter is transparent regardless of what they state and honestly shouldn't be. For that purpose among others, we have organizations sprouting about i.e. Wikileaks and it gives the allure that we are receiving information that the government doesn't want to let out and otherwise are hiding.

I'm not sure if this country (meaning the collective) could handle or operate at even the current weakened structure knowing some of the things that are probably really going on. Looking at it from a parenting (governing) perspective, our parents don't tell us everything they know and we really don't need to know why they do what they do. In the same case, our government is such - there are certainly things that we should know however, there are also those things that we don't know and for obvious reasons to those in power clearly don't need to know.

Transparency sounds nice, but I believe the after effect proves the process itself would be flawed.

You left out the relevant portion of my quote, which is pretty important to your rebuttal. Transparency should take a back seat to the government's ability to function, and that includes general information. General information, which is safe to distribute, should be available through a request system (as it currently is, though it's a rough one)—not some kind of open feed for all who might be interested (which is a problem due to technical limitations). Another example is diplomacy. Our diplomats should be able to do their jobs and record information about the people they interact with without that information being distributed back to those people and those countries.

I'd go on, but while my statement was simple, I was sincere about the conditions.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:22 am

I wasn't attacking or rebutting your post. I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I was making a statement at the notion of transparency in general. I completely understood the first portion of your post which is why I only responded to the last part of it.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I wasn't attacking or rebutting your post. I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I was making a statement at the notion of transparency in general. I completely understood the first portion of your post which is why I only responded to the last part of it.

Ah, okay.

And incidentally, it is reasoning like what I discussed above that leads me to see Assange's interest in something like the diplomatic cables as more of an anarchist interest than an exposing corruption sort of interest.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Saw this on CNN this morning and thought I would share --

Wikileaks nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:14 pm

The Nobel Peace Prize could not be more of a joke at this point. I thought it was stupid enough when they gave it to Obama.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Yeah... that's a bit of a joke. It is hard to care about it these days, though.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs