WikiLeaks: Revealing Open Secrets

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: WikiLeaks: Revealing Open Secrets

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:58 pm

It has become somewhat of a joke, it's not even about who has done more but what would look better!! Seriously, how did I not notice they gave it to Obama....for what???

Edit: strengthening relations between peoples?? Aw come on, I mean I know he's trying but he's not out there doing awesome shazazzle!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:09 pm

SunXia wrote:Edit: strengthening relations between peoples?? Aw come on, I mean I know he's trying but he's not out there doing awesome shazazzle!!

You know... it isn't that they gave it to Obama that was a joke. The joke is that they gave it to him based on some notion of what he would be in the future, and the promises (and hype) surrounding him during election. Now, if they had given it to him based on actual accomplishments and what he's done in his presidency that would be another matter entirely.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:42 pm

I find it was dumb because Obama has done nothing to really promote peace. We're still in Afghanistan and we're only sorta pulling out of Iraq. Moreover Obama never made it his intention to make peace. His plan from the get-go was continued war in Afghanistan.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Wikileaks meet Openleaks.

Apparently, there is/was some in-fighting among the Wikileaks collective. According to this report Wikileaks has been crippled for months.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:45 am

Look, I think wikileaks is an invaluable organization, despite it's many faults (which includes recklessness, compromising security, an undemocratic, opaque process for leaking information etc etc.). What wikileaks is is essentially like...Napster. It's an imperfect system, but it's a game changer in terms of information distribution with an ultimately good goal, and that is to make keeping secrets too costly or untenable for ALL governments around the world.

And now that the floodgates are open, you'll see more and more of these groups like Openleaks, who will continually improve the system to make it more democratic, more responsible etc etc.

I for one applaud both the movement, and the signs that it's maturing. Wikileaks was almost an ego vehicle for Assange, whom I don't find too pleasant and great a person. He ran an opaque dictatorship over this organization which has the ability to do great good, but also great harm if used incorrectly. The shift to making the movement more democratic, the process more transparent and consultative, and the leaks more responsible, is a great thing to my mind.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:41 am

Crazedmongoose wrote:I for one applaud both the movement, and the signs that it's maturing. Wikileaks was almost an ego vehicle for Assange, whom I don't find too pleasant and great a person. He ran an opaque dictatorship over this organization which has the ability to do great good, but also great harm if used incorrectly. The shift to making the movement more democratic, the process more transparent and consultative, and the leaks more responsible, is a great thing to my mind.

I concur with and applaud this sentiment, though I still tend to think that the modus operandi of WikiLeaks had run up against a fundamental contradiction with its stated raison d’être, a contradiction your analysis seems to have acknowledged but downplayed drastically. It's really a 'who watches the watchers' problem - if your stated goal is to put more information into the hands of the public, ostensibly to better involve them in a more open democracy, the secrecy surrounding the organisation's structure and decision-making process should be a source of no little concern.

I actually have some of the same concerns about OpenLeaks. Yes, they're changing their modus operandi to become a primary source for our more 'traditional' news sources, but it doesn't really appear that we've solved the problem so much as swept it under an institutional rug for some future network analyst to uncover. So you could say that I'm applauding this development, but adding a caveat that one shouldn't expect it to usher in a new golden era of openness and participatory democracy - not without some better governance structures in place.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:30 am

From this thread:

afisara wrote:Why does wikipedia call wikileaks a terrorist organization? I know there is a lot of controversy about wikileaks releasing classified information, but the way the website is described on wikipedia it sounds like they're making them out to be run by bin laden or something. Its a whistle-blowing organization, not a terrorist organization, right?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:48 am

Right.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 31, 2012 11:32 am

Julian Assange has lost his appeal against being deported to Sweden but his defense team have challenged it so the extradition has been put on hold.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 am

Assange has breached bail conditions and is seeking political asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs