Gun Control

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Gun control be allowed?

Yes
52%
No
36%
Other (please explain)
12%

Total votes : 231

Unread postby Chu Liu Xiang » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:23 am

Iznoach wrote:But the thing is, criminals, nine times out of ten, either get their guns from Mafia/black market "powderhorns", or other illegal means. I think that if guns were controlled too much more, the criminals would still have their guns, but normal tax paying citizens would be down to defending themselves with knives, clubs, bats, etc. That's not really fair, now is it? It sucks, I'll be the first to admit, but that's the reality of it. Outlaw stuff all you want, people will still be able to get it if they really want it. Does that mean people should be using AK-47's and M-16's for home defense? I don't think so. I think the current legislation regarding fully automatic weapons and assault rifles is sufficient. I don't think it needs to be extended to semi-automatic handguns (pistols, revolvers).

Those criminals wouldn't likely be coming into ur house in the middle of the night then. Petty thiefs do not have that kind of connection.
The ones that are able to get the guns are probably mobsters and drug dealers. And that is up to cops to crack down on.
Besides, what would you do even if you had a gun? Most likely, you would be shot dead anyway.
"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."
I am that bigger man. :lol:
Chu Liu Xiang
Student

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:22 am

Chu Liu Xiang wrote:Besides, what would you do even if you had a gun? Most likely, you would be shot dead anyway.

:lol: Not likely, my friend. I'm a trained killer, after all. I'd smoke that mutha----- like it ain't no thang.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:45 am

Well, I know a lotta Canadians enjoy hunting as a sport......soooo, that's the reason they have guns......

This guy in Quebec went hunting, ran out of gas for his car, and crossed the border to USA to get his car pumped......then got arrested to carry a gun for HUNTING in his car......blargh >_< oh well ^_^
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Chu Liu Xiang » Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:23 pm

Iznoach wrote:
Chu Liu Xiang wrote:Besides, what would you do even if you had a gun? Most likely, you would be shot dead anyway.

:lol: Not likely, my friend. I'm a trained killer, after all. I'd smoke that mutha----- like it ain't no thang.

How bout when that person has a semi-automatic weapon? Or a sniper rifle and just snipe you from a distance.
Chu Liu Xiang
Student

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:43 pm

Chu Liu Xiang wrote:How bout when that person has a semi-automatic weapon? Or a sniper rifle and just snipe you from a distance.

Then they are either a trained assassin(with a sniper rifle, they are likely to be), or some guy who doesn't expect a gun fight, as most robbers don't.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Travis » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:48 am

I for one, am a firm believer that Firearms don't kill people, the person weilding it does. Does a firearm jump off of a table and start shooting up a school? No not really. A firearm is an inatimate object, and therefore cannot on it own harm anybody. Firearm "Control" is not the answer, but firearm "Saftey" is. My statement is quite simple, Controlling the flow of rifles and pistols will not solve anything, people if they try hard enough will get them anyway. However, Teaching people the responsibility of owning a firearm and how to properly keep the fire arm safe is the answer. I myself am a Junior Member of the NRA, and know how to keep my firearm out of the hands of young children. Several studies also support this, with out the Second Amendment, America is very vurnerable to attacks. I recall one study showed most of the United States enemies, Cuba for one, have attempted to check exactly how many civilians in the United States are armed. Why do you ask? It's simple they wanted to know who all would resist the incase of an invasion. In every case, it acted as a deterrant to them. With out the Right to Bear arms there would be alot more conflict on US soil. I mean would you want to risk your troops lives to not only the American Military, but thier civilian population as well? That answer is simply no. Another reason is with out the Second Amendment, a seizure of the government would be rather easy. Look at Germany before WWII. As Hitler came to power he reduced the number of armed civillian to prevent rebellions from with in his own nation. The removal of arms from the hand of Civillian has draw back I think most of you haven't thought about. Yes Firearms are dangerous weapons designed to kill, and yes they have been used for evil purposes, but so many other things have as well such as swords and knives. But I don't see anyone marching around to ban swords and knives? I personally believe that people tend to target Firearms as the most deadly, when in actuallity, according to the Bureau of Justice, Firearm fatalities have stabilized and knife fatalities have increased and are soon expected to surpass Firearms as the most used in Violent crimes. So are we going to try and ban knives now? I don't think so for one.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:33 am

My idea of Gun Control is not to keep it out of criminal's hands (as many have pointed out...how can we?), but to make civilians who own guns more responsible.

I'd like to see a Department of Firearms that looks a lot like the Department of Motor Vehicles; in other words, in order to have a firearm, you need to have a license to do so (not registering the gun but yourself as a responsible owner).

The requirements for a license would include a test to make sure the license owner knows responsible gun ownership and a legally binding contract that commits the owner to following gun ownership "rules" to keep their guns safe from children, and a background check to be renewed every year automatically.

This license would then become the background check to buy guns with (if you're licensed, in other words, you won't have to wait 15 minutes for the background check because it's presumed with your ownership of the license), as well as a way to ensure that the gun owner is legally making sure their gun is as safe from children as possible. If something happened to the otherwise (ie, a child pullling a gun down from on top of a dresser and accidently killing their friend), then the gun could be taken and the license revoked.

No, it won't stop criminals having guns -- there's little we as law obiding citizens can do about that with gun control laws. But it does ensure that people are being responsible about owning guns.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Justin » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:21 am

just out of curiosity how many people here actually own a gun? Don't be shy no one will think less of you.

I own one, and plan on getting several more in the near future. Methinks a .306 hunting rifle for the upcoming deer hunt is in order.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Travis » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:16 pm

I have a .22 and a 14-10 Shotgun. Also a Muzzle Loader.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chu Liu Xiang » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:40 am

Taishi Ci wrote:I for one, am a firm believer that Firearms don't kill people, the person weilding it does. Does a firearm jump off of a table and start shooting up a school? No not really. A firearm is an inatimate object, and therefore cannot on it own harm anybody. Firearm "Control" is not the answer, but firearm "Saftey" is. My statement is quite simple, Controlling the flow of rifles and pistols will not solve anything, people if they try hard enough will get them anyway. However, Teaching people the responsibility of owning a firearm and how to properly keep the fire arm safe is the answer. I myself am a Junior Member of the NRA, and know how to keep my firearm out of the hands of young children. Several studies also support this, with out the Second Amendment, America is very vurnerable to attacks. I recall one study showed most of the United States enemies, Cuba for one, have attempted to check exactly how many civilians in the United States are armed. Why do you ask? It's simple they wanted to know who all would resist the incase of an invasion. In every case, it acted as a deterrant to them. With out the Right to Bear arms there would be alot more conflict on US soil. I mean would you want to risk your troops lives to not only the American Military, but thier civilian population as well? That answer is simply no. Another reason is with out the Second Amendment, a seizure of the government would be rather easy. Look at Germany before WWII. As Hitler came to power he reduced the number of armed civillian to prevent rebellions from with in his own nation. The removal of arms from the hand of Civillian has draw back I think most of you haven't thought about. Yes Firearms are dangerous weapons designed to kill, and yes they have been used for evil purposes, but so many other things have as well such as swords and knives. But I don't see anyone marching around to ban swords and knives? I personally believe that people tend to target Firearms as the most deadly, when in actuallity, according to the Bureau of Justice, Firearm fatalities have stabilized and knife fatalities have increased and are soon expected to surpass Firearms as the most used in Violent crimes. So are we going to try and ban knives now? I don't think so for one.

Its easier to kill someone using a gun than a knife.
In a sense, guns do kill. They facillate the process.
The whole invasion arguement from Cuba is nonsense. If our military cannot even detect and prevent an invasion from Cuba, then our military is worthless and should be getting so much money. Our military should enough of a deterrant. Besides, what can armed civilians do against missiles, jets, tanks, etc.?
All these are just silly excuses for having a gun. Guns are not necessary in today's society. All they do is cause harm.
Chu Liu Xiang
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs