Gun Control

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Gun control be allowed?

Yes
52%
No
36%
Other (please explain)
12%

Total votes : 231

Unread postby Stefanos » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:26 pm

Guns are an inevitable part of the human life. Removing guns is as possible as making alcohol illegal. Self defense guns only function to cause hurt within the family of the buyer or even death to someone in that family. Here in Florida, hunting is a favorite sport among many people. Now, would you father use a gun or a spear? Guns will always be legal, and will always most likely be used illegally.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

guns are good

Unread postby Justin » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:04 am

After reading all these posts I must say you guys know very little about actual gun owners. Most guns are used for 100% legal reasons. I know many many gun owners who use their weapons in the most responsible ways possible. The crazy stories on TV are there to shock and get your attention, they do not represent the real american people who own firearms.

Most people who own guns are decent law abiding citizens. I own a gun, and plan on owning more. Do I go around shooting people? No, my firearm is kept in a very safe and locked up place. I am reponsible with it. And until the US constitution is changed I will NEVER get rid of it. And yes a document written 200 years ago has a lot of relevance to todays society.

There is a lot of truth behind the statement guns don't kill people, people kill people. People were slaughtering other people LONG BEFORE guns came around. Does that mean people should have access to rocket launchers, obviously the answer is no. There are certain weapons that people should not be allowed to own. But anything short of an automatic weapon I feel a person has the right to own. I also feel that there should be more strict background checks on people who want to buy guns. But an outright ban is ludicrous.

A gun is merely a tool. Even if they are banned the crazy people in the world will just resort to some other way to kill people. Banning guns is not the solution. Helping people who feel they have to resort to guns in the real solution.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Fan Kong » Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:53 am

and most drug users don't go around killing people to get drugs.....most people who drive drunk don't get into accidents and kill innocent people.......whats your point?

I agree that you do have the right to own a gun. If it makes you feel that much better to own a gun, or you just admire the beauty and craftsmanship of a gun, than that is your right. Hunting rifles have their place. Some people feel they need a handgun to protect themselves at home.

But can you tell me why anybody needs a shotgun or any type of automatic weapon?
Fan Kong
Langzhong

Location: Chasing the citizens of Shu........ChangBan part deux!!! >:)

Unread postby Ryubbi » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:39 am

Fan Kong wrote:I agree that you do have the right to own a gun. If it makes you feel that much better to own a gun, or you just admire the beauty and craftsmanship of a gun, than that is your right. Hunting rifles have their place. Some people feel they need a handgun to protect themselves at home.

But can you tell me why anybody needs a shotgun or any type of automatic weapon?

I like your point about craftsmanship. I'm a gunowner, and I marvel at the ingenuity it took to design the thing; the way it employs the split-second recoil to eject the shell and load the next bullet is a marvel in mechanics.

A shotgun is for hunting birds! Come on, how are you gonna hit a duck in flight unless you have the multiple pellets from a shotgun shell spread out to hit a lot of space? You'd have to be an incredible marksman.

Automatic weapons, I'll concede, should be (and are) banned. First of all, you can't aim anything past the first shot, so it's really only effective for combat. Second, they're potentially devastating if unleashed on a crowd; much moreso than a shotgun or pistol.
men are drawn to a leader of great virtue / it was for that reason I followed Liu Bei
Ryubbi
Master

Unread postby Fan Kong » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:11 pm

So thats what shotguns are for?

Wouldn't the power of a shotgun just blow a bird to little pieces? I've always thought of shotguns to be mostly short distance. I've never seen any image or video of somebody using a shotgun to hunt birds though.

Automatic weapons, I'll concede, should be (and are) banned. First of all, you can't aim anything past the first shot, so it's really only effective for combat. Second, they're potentially devastating if unleashed on a crowd; much moreso than a shotgun or pistol.

So are they banned in all 50 states?

If so, why are so many criminals still able to obtain them? Weren't the Columbine kids using automatic weapons too? Even if they are banned, someone must be letting them get out. I'm sure bazookas and rocket launchers are banned for civilian use as well, but you dont see criminals going around with these weapons.
Fan Kong
Langzhong

Unread postby Ryubbi » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:32 am

Fan Kong wrote:So thats what shotguns are for?

Wouldn't the power of a shotgun just blow a bird to little pieces? I've always thought of shotguns to be mostly short distance. I've never seen any image or video of somebody using a shotgun to hunt birds though.

No, a sawed-off shotgun is for short range destruction, but a regular shotgun will give you decent range and a wide blast radius. If anyone ever tells you they're going duck hunting, they're taking a shotgun, or else they're not coming home with anything, that's for sure!
Shotguns are also used for hunting small game like rabbits and squirrels. You do a lot of damage, sure, but it's not like you tear the animal apart limb-from-limb with a shotgun shell.

Fan Kong wrote:So are they banned in all 50 states?

If so, why are so many criminals still able to obtain them? Weren't the Columbine kids using automatic weapons too? Even if they are banned, someone must be letting them get out. I'm sure bazookas and rocket launchers are banned for civilian use as well, but you dont see criminals going around with these weapons.

Despite what the movies may tell you, criminals don't really have automatic weapons. The columbine idiots used sawed-off shotguns, and one had a 9mm carbine and the other had a TEC-9. Both of the latter are semi-automatic.

There are some people who know how to convert semi-automatic guns into fully automatic, but they're few and far between.
[/quote]
men are drawn to a leader of great virtue / it was for that reason I followed Liu Bei
Ryubbi
Master

Unread postby Fan Kong » Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:35 am

Ok, so I wasn't differentiating the difference between automatic and semi-automatic. Are semi-autos legal? If so, what practical use do civilians have for them?

I'm pretty sure those two guys that robbed that LA Bank of America a fews years back were using automatics. The police force's 9mm bullets just bounced off their body armor. So the cops just went down to a gun shop and purchased armor piercing bullets.

Now why are police officers or any other normal civilian able to purchase body piercing bullets at their local gun store? And where did those guys get those weapons? Were they obtained legally? Not being sarcastic, just asking cuz I'm too lazy to look it up right now :D
Fan Kong
Langzhong

Unread postby Ryubbi » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:04 am

Fan Kong wrote:Ok, so I wasn't differentiating the difference between automatic and semi-automatic. Are semi-autos legal? If so, what practical use do civilians have for them?

Now why are police officers or any other normal civilian able to purchase body piercing bullets at their local gun store? And where did those guys get those weapons? Were they obtained legally? Not being sarcastic, just asking cuz I'm too lazy to look it up right now :D

Yeah, most guns are semi-automatic; all it means is that the force of the recoil is used to eject the shell and load the next bullet. So you can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. The alternative is shoot/reload/shoot/reload, which isn't very appealing if you're trying to defend yourself.

It's entirely possible those guys got black market automatic guns. I remember they were firing the teflon-coated armor piercing bullets, and I also recall the police's sidearms were ineffective, you're right. However, you can't get armor piercing bullets in stores, they're illegal. I think the cops probably just got higher powered weapons like a rifle to take out the criminals. A shot from a rifle is a lot more powerful (& penetrating) than that from a handgun.
Ryubbi
Master

Unread postby James » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:17 am

Fan Kong wrote:Now why are police officers or any other normal civilian able to purchase body piercing bullets at their local gun store? And where did those guys get those weapons? Were they obtained legally? Not being sarcastic, just asking cuz I'm too lazy to look it up right now :D

There is a cut-off point between weapons police are able to buy at a local gun store, and weapons that civilians are able to buy. A policeman has a permit that allows him to purchases these guns at gun vendors. The vendors stock the guns specifically for police and other government divisions that hold this permit.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Fan Kong » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:32 pm

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Kongming.

Thanks for explaining guns Ryubbi. I guess I would have to say that gun control is fine where it is right now. I guess we just need stricter rules on acquisition and ownership of guns. I don't really see why people make a stink about the 5-day waiting period. I guess those who complain needed to kill someone within 5 days?
Fan Kong
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs