Gun Control

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Should Gun control be allowed?

Yes
117
52%
No
82
36%
Other (please explain)
26
12%
 
Total votes : 225

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:50 am

Welcome to the forum, Johnnelson! Hope you enjoy your stay here!

I can see where you're coming from on this question, sort of. When people kill, usually it's because they've forgotten to regard other people as people, and instead see them as subservient to some other end. But I wouldn't argue that they aren't feeling enough, but rather that they're letting their feelings - their passions - override their respect for others. When people kill, it is rarely because they're unfeeling; it's more often because they are angry, jealous, resentful, greedy... it's because they have some good end in mind, but are led to evil means to get it.

Regarding guns. Ultimately the gun rights defenders are right that the ultimate source of the problem is not in the gun but in the human heart. Guns are not a problem in themselves, but they're a multiplier effect for problems that already exist. Any disorders, any passions in the society - guns will make worse. Guns make the criminal drug culture worse; they make mental health problems more dangerous; they make domestic disputes more dangerous; they make anti-social behaviour more costly in terms of human life; they add an unstable element to general social distrust.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
User avatar
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor
 
Posts: 3830
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:09 am
Location: L'Étoile du Nord

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Constankane » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:36 am

The only way that we can prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands is completely getting rid of all gun sales. That will never happen. My guess is that about 97% of he people who buy guns do it for hunting, collection or just shooting at a range to relax or just blow off some steam.
I'm 14 years old and I hunt with my dad. It's a lot of fun. We have never had a problem with a gun or had any accidents. It's people's constitutional right to own and possess a firearm. I can't wait till I can own a handgun, not for the reason of killing someone, just because it's fun to shoot guns.
User avatar
Constankane
Tyro
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:20 am
Location: 123 street

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Would 100 times prefer what we do here and do clay pigeon shooting or air shot, with less deadly weapons. Dunblane Massacre was a sad awful tragedy that caused positive actions being taken!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
User avatar
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess
 
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:48 pm
Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Constankane wrote:I'm 14 years old and I hunt with my dad. It's a lot of fun. We have never had a problem with a gun or had any accidents. It's people's constitutional right to own and possess a firearm. I can't wait till I can own a handgun, not for the reason of killing someone, just because it's fun to shoot guns.


Just to be clear, it is not all people's constitutional right to own firearms. Each country is different.



SunXia wrote:Would 100 times prefer what we do here and do clay pigeon shooting or air shot, with less deadly weapons. Dunblane Massacre was a sad awful tragedy that caused positive actions being taken!!


It definitely did, and some not so positive. From what I've read the actions taken have caused extensive barriers for legal gun owners as well as stigmatization of legal gun ownership. That said, reckon it can easily be argued these are small sacrifices to be made for less gun violence, which is a good thing.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:41 pm

I think we all know from me that I would rather people not be able to shoot someone when they are annoyed, or in the midst of a mental or emotional breakdown. Of course there are other things that can happen like knife crime and such but massacres on that scale are much less likely.

I would also like people to remember that I come from N.Ireland, an area of UK where people were shot or blown up without a second glance for their "causes". Some paramilitaries still have guns and weapons but have greatly been reduced in number and greatly lost support!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
User avatar
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess
 
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:48 pm
Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:50 pm

SunXia wrote:I think we all know from me that I would rather people not be able to shoot someone when they are annoyed, or in the midst of a mental or emotional breakdown. Of course there are other things that can happen like knife crime and such but massacres on that scale are much less likely.


Definitely understand. For me the actions of the U.K. are quite understandable as well, and considering the difference in our two country's gun culture probably for the best for the U.K. I'm unsure, however, that such a lack of balance in regulation is the best for the U.S.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:It definitely did, and some not so positive. From what I've read the actions taken have caused extensive barriers for legal gun owners as well as stigmatization of legal gun ownership. That said, reckon it can easily be argued these are small sacrifices to be made for less gun violence, which is a good thing.


For the most part us Brit's don't view those as downsides. Now I do say for the most part, I absolutely think it should be difficult to get your hands on a gun but I do feel sorry for people like farmers who have guns for their work and face some stigma for having them. But as you say that is a very small downside compared to the massacres that the USA seem to be facing on a regular basis.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 6776
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:It definitely did, and some not so positive. From what I've read the actions taken have caused extensive barriers for legal gun owners as well as stigmatization of legal gun ownership. That said, reckon it can easily be argued these are small sacrifices to be made for less gun violence, which is a good thing.


For the most part us Brit's don't view those as downsides. Now I do say for the most part, I absolutely think it should be difficult to get your hands on a gun but I do feel sorry for people like farmers who have guns for their work and face some stigma for having them. But as you say that is a very small downside compared to the massacres that the USA seem to be facing on a regular basis.



That does make sense, and I can understand how if it was a simple option of 'do you want A or B?" it would be a simple choice. But I think alot of Americans approach the issue from a different angle. As mentioned above we have a constitutional right to gun ownership (the legal debate from that aside). So often we weigh the obstacles that are put in front of us towards that constitutional right against that. Additionally, for most Americans the idea of jumping through lengthy and expensive barriers, as well as acquiescing to governmental intrusion into private aspects of their life (such as mental health) to purchase a simple firearm such as a rifle for things such as hunting, protection, or recreational uses is kind of mind blowing.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:22 pm

I do see what Shi means on a cultural downside. Drawing a mental list of those who should have guns outside armed forces (and I don't believe they are meant to have him in their homes): select police units, farmers, professional hunters, Olympic marksman, Teletubbies....

Even then, there is "um, er, not quite comfortable with that." Which isn't fair on those who do need guns. However I'm not sure I would be touching that if I was a Home Office minister, would be wary of how relaxing rules could go wrong. I'm also quite happy with the "nanny state" on a fair few things in the UK (though there does tend to be rows over that) and US has a stronger... distrust of government.

as well as acquiescing to governmental intrusion into private aspects of their life (such as mental health)


Even on mental health for something very dangerous if things go wrong?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 15116
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Gun Control

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:[

That does make sense, and I can understand how if it was a simple option of 'do you want A or B?" it would be a simple choice. But I think alot of Americans approach the issue from a different angle. As mentioned above we have a constitutional right to gun ownership (the legal debate from that aside). So often we weigh the obstacles that are put in front of us towards that constitutional right against that. Additionally, for most Americans the idea of jumping through lengthy and expensive barriers, as well as acquiescing to governmental intrusion into private aspects of their life (such as mental health) to purchase a simple firearm such as a rifle for things such as hunting, protection, or recreational uses is kind of mind blowing.



I understand everything you've said and I get that you guys put a lot of stock in your constitutional rights but I find it terrifying that you don't check peoples mental health before you let them have a gun. I'd have expected that should be the bare minimum.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 6776
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved