The Political Compass

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The Political Compass

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Ok...that's me apparently

Economic Left/Right: -4.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.74

Some of the questions I really struggled to answer cause they kinda didn't matter to me much. Surprised to see Authoritarian being so low, expected it to be much higher.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 pm

I haven't done one of these in a long time. Decided to give it a shot. :P

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.51
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Oooooh exciting! Someone else joining WWD and I as the authoritarians of SOSZ!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

I've done this many times, and I got different results. I tend to hang out at the center, but last time I did it I was a couple of squares to the right and a couple of squares upwards. In the site you see how world leaders compare, I think Angela Merkel was on I was relatively close to :lol:
I don't find my results, so I can't be more specific :?
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby Aaron.K » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 am

Haven't done one of these in forever, figured I might as well.

Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

I've... changed. A lot actually. When I was young I was very much in the authoritarian-right quadrant, maybe somewhat close to the middle. As I got a little older, I moved to pretty much dead centre, now I've gone very far to the collectivist side, and gotten more anti-authoritarian.

Interestingly though, I'm a monarchist, so I'm surprised that my authoritarian stance would be as low as it is, though my economic left swing does make sense to me in how I view things.

Though just to see how weighted "Strongly Agree" and "Strongly Disagree" are, I did it again but just dialing those ones to "Agree" or "Disagree" and the results:

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

I think there should be a "Neutral" choice though. But I suppose it's in relation to the fact that no one is truly neutral about anything. Maybe more nuanced answers like "slightly agree" and "slightly disagree" would create something more accurate, and perhaps a way to allow you to individually weight the questions based on what's important to you.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 am

There are definitely questions on there where I don't agree with any of the choices but no test is perfect! I'm surprised at how low you are on the authoritarian side as well Aaron! That said I do wonder if there is some liberal bias inherent in the test as I'm now in the liberal sector and that's not where I'd place myself...
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:03 am

I mean for the most part, I'm not very authoritarian. I'm very much a live and let live type of person, so what other people do doesn't really concern me. Not to mention for the most part that authority these days don't really deserve respect or even their authority. Perhaps that was always the case, but I feel it was different a long time ago. Authorities had power, but they were also responsible and took that power seriously. Now, you look at these schmucks on T.V. making these policies and lining their own pockets at the expense of society... it's made me a very disheartened person.

I value collectivization, but also personal freedoms, and that doesn't mesh well with the way authority is. Maybe my own circumstances have made me become jaded as a result. Hard to say.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Sun Fin wrote:There are definitely questions on there where I don't agree with any of the choices but no test is perfect! I'm surprised at how low you are on the authoritarian side as well Aaron! That said I do wonder if there is some liberal bias inherent in the test as I'm now in the liberal sector and that's not where I'd place myself...

I definitely think the test weighs to the left. I feel like the only way to get my results further right would be to answer as a caricature of what the left thinks the right is.

Judging by the sheer amount of people landing in one of the left quadrants whenever I see test results from this across the web, it appears to be unrealistically unrepresentative of society.

Aaron.K wrote:I think there should be a "Neutral" choice though. But I suppose it's in relation to the fact that no one is truly neutral about anything.

I disagree that people can’t be true neutral about issues. I think neutrality is the default position; this is especially apparent when ignorance is at play. For instance, I know very little about trade, so the questions regarding it are irrelevant to me and I would naturally have a neutral position.

I do believe that people claim to be neutral for many more issues than they are in reality, though. There’s an aura of objectivity attached to neutrality that people would like to appear as having, as opposed to the norm of generally having more emotion- and circumstances-driven reactions to things. But I think it’s nearly impossible to be objective about everything, especially moral issues, unless you’re an android or something. :P Aiming for objectivity is good enough.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Aaron.K » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I disagree that people can’t be true neutral about issues. I think neutrality is the default position; this is especially apparent when ignorance is at play. For instance, I know very little about trade, so the questions regarding it are irrelevant to me and I would naturally have a neutral position.

I do believe that people claim to be neutral for many more issues than they are in reality, though. There’s an aura of objectivity attached to neutrality that people would like to appear as having, as opposed to the norm of generally having more emotion- and circumstances-driven reactions to things. But I think it’s nearly impossible to be objective about everything, especially moral issues, unless you’re an android or something. :P Aiming for objectivity is good enough.

I wouldn't exactly define ignorance of a topic as being neutrality. If it's something that an individual has chosen not to know about because it isn't important to them, I'd consider that apathy or indifference to it, whereas if it's something that they care about, but they are ignorant of its details, it just means they have to study it more in order to have a valid opinion about it.

True neutrality would be something that you know enough about to have an informed opinion, but you don't actually care about the said topic. I've met very few people like that.

I think not only do the questions need to be more descriptive, as a lot of them there's a decision the one taking the test has to make, "Do I answer this question at face value, or do I answer it based on what it actually means". A good one is the quote "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs". On the surface that quotation sounds good to most people, but the question asked will be answered differently depending on whether the person answering knows that it's a quotation of Marx or not. If you agree with it, does the quiz assume that you then implicitly agree with everything Marx said? These are the kinds of things that need to be known.
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Oh, yeah, I remember there being a question about my opinion on modern art, though I don't really know what the hell that has to do with politics :lol:
On the issue of a neutral answer, I think it depends. Sometimes I think it's important to have a neutral answer, but this test doesn't handle it well because what does the neutral answer mean? For example, I could be in favor of abortion but to restrict it to some cases or being against abortion if it's performed with public capital, but a neutral answer doesn't really reflect the nuance of one's opinion and therefore it can be pretty confusing.

Regardless, I think people can be objective and take a side. You just have to look at the information and choose whatever side suits you best. The problem comes when you try to hide or manipulate that information to make your stance appear more legitimate, which a lot of people (including the media) tend to do.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs