The Political Compass

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

The Political Compass

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Most of the people on this site are like myself highly opinionated and I'd like to see where you guys sit on the political scale. I know where I expect the majority of the scholars to be as I've found that generally most people who frequient forums are quite liberal.

Our Current table:

Anyway the test we're going to use is this one: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test as genrally I've found it to be quite a reliable guide.

EDIT (took the test again-more reliable a I was concentrating more):
So to start of with my results were:
Economic Left/Right: 4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.72

Which on the 'compass' looks like this:
Attachments
My Poltical Compass.png
My Poltical Compass.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Last edited by Sun Fin on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Political Compass

Unread postby agga » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 pm

i'm not going to take it again right now, but i have several times (a couple of weeks ago actually), and always come out on the far left edge, with a score like -9.5, -5.0. so, i can be a representative for the "radical left" though I insist i am not a communist. if the quiz was asking questions like 'do you think the means of production should be publicly owned' i would say 'no'. i think capitalism is a good thing, but that people should use public institutions to protect their own interests.

edit:
oh, oh, if enough people answer, we can all plot ourselves on common axes! the SSZ political compass!
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:22 pm

My results:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

I'm not too surprised, but ironic, since I'm often decried as leaning too far one way or the other.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
I'm not too surprised, but ironic, since I'm often decried as leaning too far one way or the other.

Yeah I get that, I'm often accused of being right wing yet when you look at my leaning compared to the 3 main British parties I'm the furthest left in economic's and socially only the Lib dem's are further left (or down) to me.

Yeah that would be pretty cool agga.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Generally got around that area before I think and I do think I have a tendency to the left so not surprised

My sister took the test and got

Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

She was expecting to be slightly right/authoritarian, I was expecting her close to right/libertarian, so bit of a shock. All in all, think it got us right
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby agga » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 pm

okay, i took it. i was a little less left this time: -8.25 -5.18

i think the reason i don't come out all the way in the libertarian-left corner is because i approve of violence: i think death penalty is warranted in plenty of cases, rehabilitation of some criminals is a waste of time, parents should spank their children, wars don't require international approval, etc. etc.

*edit*
i think this makes me a "draconian social anarchist".
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Objectivist » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:57 am

The test is neither scientific nor accurate.

Political compass does not disclose who runs the site nor do they explain their scoring system. It has been linked to Glenys Kinnock, a well known left winger. I suggest you treat the website as nothing more than unscientific entertainment...even though I really don't see the entertainment value of a website that inaccurately measures where you belong on a political field.

If you're from America and would like to watch a basic ten minute video that explains left -vs- right and government controls, have a look at the video I linked below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DioQooFIcgE
The philosophy of Liberty

---If you do not believe in self ownership, you believe in slavery. Looking at all of human history, Liberty is a new concept still being introduced to man and it is growing every single day.
Objectivist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 am

Objectivist wrote:The test is neither scientific nor accurate.

I suggest you treat the website as nothing more than unscientific entertainment...even though I really don't see the entertainment value of a website that inaccurately measures where you belong on a political field.

I don't think anyone argued it was scientifically accurate. As for accuracy, eh. And yea, I think we're all just treating it as entertainment.

Political compass does not disclose who runs the site nor do they explain their scoring system. It has been linked to Glenys Kinnock, a well known left winger.

If you're from America and would like to watch a basic ten minute video that explains left -vs- right and government controls, have a look at the video I linked below...

That video and the user notdemocracy (no bias there I bet) doesn't seem to disclose it's authors either. But I don't really care, nor I do think that because it has been 'linked' (which I'm not sure if by that you mean confirmed) it therefore entirely unreliable.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Objectivist » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 am

Shikanosuke wrote:I don't think anyone argued it was scientifically accurate. As for accuracy, eh. And yea, I think we're all just treating it as entertainment.

The person who started this topic called the test a "reliable guide."

Shikanosuke wrote:That video and the user notdemocracy (no bias there I bet) doesn't seem to disclose it's authors either. But I don't really care, nor I do think that because it has been 'linked' (which I'm not sure if by that you mean confirmed) it therefore entirely unreliable.

If the video is unreliable you or anyone else should have no problem disproving anything it says.
The philosophy of Liberty

---If you do not believe in self ownership, you believe in slavery. Looking at all of human history, Liberty is a new concept still being introduced to man and it is growing every single day.
Objectivist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 am

Objectivist wrote:The test is neither scientific nor accurate.

the authors propose two dimensions to describe an individual's political beliefs. this has got to be a huge simplification! but still, they have their relatively simple theory, and then they go and make a test that is supposed to sort respondents along those two dimensions. it seems to work, and its results are reproducible and therefore "reliable" (i get the same thing, basically, if i take it twice and shake up my responses a bit) - so within its own little scope, it's fairly accurate. you can look at where i come out on a simple quiz like this, and probably guess at how an argument between you and me would go (i.e. the kind of tropes i would bring up). at least, i would totally expect to fall out as a "leftist" on whatever test you gave me, so it got me right.

whether it's "scientific" depends on how the authors came up with their theory, and how they designed the questionnaire, and i don't think they actually describe any of that. so, we don't know how scientific it is. it's a game, like shiko says, but it does have a bit of meaning to it.

as for whether it's designed by "left wingers", it probably is. it's a form of personality sorter, which originate with sociologists and psychologists, most of whom you would probably class as "left wingers". does that change the distribution somehow, make it less accurate (i.e. you think the center is too left)? what would that mean, exactly, for it to be inaccurate? did you take the quiz, and not like where it put you?
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs