The Political Compass

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The Political Compass

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:40 pm

PeanutButterToast wrote:I don't know how to link my results, but I ended up on the bottom left corner. Not surprised, but i do wonder if i am too idealist.

Nothing wrong with having a dream of the kind of country you want and hoping to move your country towards that direction someday. If you think your stance is the right way forward, keep it but test it and be open that you may need to change your mind.

Having ideals is fine, more how you then react to opposing views, how you react to the reality of your view not being one (for now) likely to come to power, how you react to changing circumstances and as you learn more where issues can arise.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
PeanutButterToast wrote:I don't know how to link my results, but I ended up on the bottom left corner. Not surprised, but i do wonder if i am too idealist.

Nothing wrong with having a dream of the kind of country you want and hoping to move your country towards that direction someday. If you think your stance is the right way forward, keep it but test it and be open that you may need to change your mind.

Having ideals is fine, more how you then react to opposing views, how you react to the reality of your view not being one (for now) likely to come to power, how you react to changing circumstances and as you learn more where issues can arise.

This is the part I have trouble with, if I'm being honest. I'm not good at debating opponents. Online, I don't bother unless it's a forum with civil discussion (like this one). But in person, I try to present my view and all it boils down to is the other person refuses to listen to me and rails at me for believing "lies" or "brainwashing". Another time, I got spat on and even attacked. But I won't give up. How on Earth can you make progress if they shut you down just for having a different viewpoint?

No, really. I want to get better at talking to people with opposing views, but I refuse to simply say "your side is full of lies!" and stuff like that. It seems like a demonizing tactic that goes nowhere.
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:23 am

I understand what you mean. As a teenager I used to love debates but as I get older I can't stand how hateful the discussion gets. Being exposed to the community here also taught me humility, as I thought I was a pretty awesome debater when compared with my peers. After a few discussions with WWD, Suke and Kazyr I realised how much I had to learn. :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Sorry you had that Peanut. While the current affairs forum has always had a more robust tone then rest of forum, we do try to ensure civilities are kept and it doesn't go too far. If you want to use this as a space to explore and test out your beliefs, to set our views then feel free to use this forum. You will get robust responses (though someone trying to explore and understand may get a gentler ride) but you will be safe

While this is a more liberal age in many respects, political intolerance has grown and grown and grown, it is plaguing the political system, making lives of public servants a lot harder, parties divided as purists demand expulsion of rival factions for not believing the right things and not being truly left/right. Nobody should be actually attacked for their beliefs, one has every right to find a view repulsive or... unwise but not to attack or shout it down.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby agga » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Back in 2010:
agga wrote:okay, i took it. i was a little less left this time: -8.25 -5.18

today:
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Not much change there.. maybe gradual shift right.. another century or so and I'll be on the right.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs