The Political Compass

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The Political Compass

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
My results:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

I'm not too surprised, but ironic, since I'm often decried as leaning too far one way or the other.

My results:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

I'm not too surprised, but ironic, since I'm often decried as leaning too far one way or the other.

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08

Guess some things change and some things remain the same/are reinforced over time.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 am

That is a fairly big shift leftwards Suke! Any big things impact that or just gradual change over time?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Sun Fin wrote:That is a fairly big shift leftwards Suke! Any big things impact that or just gradual change over time?

Good question! Not sure there's a singular answer though. Perhaps just getting older and more empathy.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Just out of curiosity, do you consider empathy to be a trait of the left? Or do you mean being a centrist (like your former position) is comparatively unempathetic?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you consider empathy to be a trait of the left? Or do you mean being a centrist (like your former position) is comparatively unempathetic?

That's a fair question, the simple and short answer is yes, but I'm sure its more nuanced than that. I never doubt there are people on the right, or at least right from where I appear to be, who most certainly have empathy for their fellow man. But as I've aged I have tended to believe the methods of the left are more empathetic. I've always been (I believe at least) an empathetic person, but as a centrist my views often tended to leave people to their own fates and lack the empathy.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 pm

I think both sides are empathetic, but direct their empathy towards different areas. It may be that the left declares support for areas or groups that you also happen to support. In a situation like that, it's easy for us to presume empathy is more pronounced or even exclusive to our side.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:That is a fairly big shift leftwards Suke! Any big things impact that or just gradual change over time?

Good question! Not sure there's a singular answer though. Perhaps just getting older and more empathy.

Dang, man! Sun_Fin took the words out of my mouth.

Yeah, I've definitely gotten radical as I've gotten older, so I can sympathise there. Empathy? Hmmm... I know enough conservative people that I wouldn't call them lacking there, but there does seem to be disconnect between their personal comportment and the policies / people they support.

Sent from my SM-J327U using Tapatalk
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:03 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:

Dang, man! Sun_Fin took the words out of my mouth.

Yeah, I've definitely gotten radical as I've gotten older, so I can sympathise there. Empathy? Hmmm... I know enough conservative people that I wouldn't call them lacking there, but there does seem to be disconnect between their personal comportment and the policies / people they support.

Sent from my SM-J327U using Tapatalk

I think that's a much betterway to put it. Mine seemed more loaded/accusatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs