Voting and its role in American Government

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:50 am

Kid- wrote:Sorry, I did not know that he has a disease.
From what i heard he cant read past a grade 4 level.

It is not a disease. – dys·lex·i·a n
a learning disorder marked by a severe difficulty in recognizing and understanding written language, leading to spelling and writing problems. It is not caused by low intelligence or brain damage. -Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999

Kid- wrote:OK if you look at the past 100 years technology and economy did not go down but went up, It soared. But as you see now it is growing weaker and weaker. In the time of Clinton's presidency, technology and economy also soared. I think democratic party are more of a non war and econmic growth and technology advancement.

Have you noticed why the economy started to get messed up? It had a lot to do with the stock market and fake money, ironically this was Clinton’s exact solution to economic problems. The reasons why the economy started to go downhill were set in motion long before Bush took office. Also, the economy is getting better now. Over the past 100 years there have been ups and downs, this decade will be no exception.

Kid- wrote: Its said that George W. Bush Cheated the Election. Al gore was winning the election.

George W. Bush won the original count, and the recount as well. In both counts certain groups were not fully considered, welcome to the world of politics. You cannot say that one group cheated more than the other though, an argument can be made from both angles. Bush won two times, period. Nobody of authority went back and proved that circumstances would have been different.

Kid- wrote:Well, guess who is the head of the voting. George W. Bush's friend. From what i heard she paid the voting committe 2 million dollars or bush paid the voting committe 2 million dollars. The law says if you have done something wrong you could vote if you wait a while. But a new rule was set that anyone that has done anything wrong could not vote. 60% of Florida's population was family of a criminal and they were said to not be able to vote.

Even if people with criminal backgrounds were removed from the vote, it isn’t like they are all Republican or Democrat. Also, those sites you listed are basically hate sites. If you get your information from places like that I can probably say that your opinion is highly biased. Some Republican people are highly biased against Democrats, and visa versa. If you want some honest information try to find sites that aren’t biased. Good luck.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby ballista99999 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:59 am

I agree, but sadly too many people still didn't vote even know they have the right to, and they have the responsiblity to do as well...
"I shall defeat thee with a single blow!!" - Ma Chao
"Blood... Darkness... Come to me!" - Nightmare of SC
ballista99999
Assistant

Unread postby Ender » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:03 am

ballista99999 wrote:and they have the responsiblity to do as well...

Why would they have the responsibilty to vote? It's their choice. Besides the President doesn't hae any power anyway's.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:25 am

Ender wrote:Why would they have the responsibilty to vote? It's their choice. Besides the President doesn't hae any power anyway's.

Because the governing body is the citizens of the state, first and foremost, not their representatives. If you believe that it's the responsibility of a Senator to vote, then you consequentally have to accept it was the responsibility of his constituants to vote -- because he is no more than a representative. Despite what the government looks like, the governing body is still the people. They've just let the power slip because they no longer view voting as a responsibility.

And as for the President not having any powers -- there are hundreds of powers that the president has that cannot be rectified by Congress or the Courts except in extreme cases. Not to mention that he represents, to the rest of the world, the entire United States. I'd say one man representing millions of people for all their freedom, life, culture, interests, etc. is the most powerful man in the country. The President in this country is far from a figure head.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:49 am

*sigh* You only aim to destroy something when it can bear witness to another something you want to keep secret... :(

http://www.thememoryhole.org/pol/florida-ballots.htm

Although after initial thought, it may not mean what it looks like.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:25 pm

James wrote:*sigh* You only aim to destroy something when it can bear witness to another something you want to keep secret... :(

http://www.thememoryhole.org/pol/florida-ballots.htm

Although after initial thought, it may not mean what it looks like.

I see no problem with destroying them. Why should they be preserved when every other set of ballots up till now has been destroyed? It's over, it's done with, studies have been done and final tallies have been given four or five times.

It's like saving a true/false quiz that you got 10/10 on for the first time. There's no real point.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Previous

Return to Current Affairs