Internet: A Legal Right

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Internet: A Legal Right

Unread postby Patricoo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:43 pm

No, for real.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I find it rather annoying, and hope it doesn't spread to countries with real problems.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Re: Internet: A Legal Right

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Uh, wow... no. I'm all for net neutrality, keeping the government out of the internet, keeping the internet tax free, and all that other jazz—but declaring it a right and forcing businesses to provide customers with free internet access? If people can't afford even a basic internet package they need to get off their ass and earn it, or go without. If the internet ever did become a necessity of sorts, then maybe the government could stipulate an 'emergency access' plan like we have with home phones in the United States. It should still cost money (just as these reduced-price home phones do).

Heck, energy is pretty important, and even that we pay for...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Where does it say free?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Ranbir wrote:Where does it say free?

That's what you get when you're talking about a right and when you use terms like, "[...] will be required to provide all Finnish citizens." If it is your right, you don't lose it, even if you cannot or will not pay for it. I read the article again, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss something (unless the article itself is incorrect).
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby agga » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:25 pm

it's probably about access rights; the same as power and water companies are probably required by law to make their services available to all Finns, internet is being made a public utility. i doubt it means it's to be distributed for free to everyone. we have laws requiring that everyone have indoor plumbing, but you still have to pay your water bills.

this article makes it sound more like a legally required utility than something nebulous like a right. there might be something about european/finnish legal terminology we don't understand...
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:27 pm

agga wrote:this article makes it sound more like a legally required utility than something nebulous like a right. there might be something about european/finnish legal terminology we don't understand...

Yeah, the wording here is totally different, and paints a completely different picture (barring any variation in terminology). I don't know enough about the region and its networks to comment much on this alternative point, but requiring internet access to be available to people across the country, provided it is technically and financially feasible, seems far more reasonable and realistic.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Patricoo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Its not free internet, its saying that all internet has to a be certain speed. Sorry to sound misleading. It was a big hub-ub on Twitter and other content sites today and I thought other people might be interested.

They basically made Dial-up, or anything slower then broadband internet, illegal to provide. All internet has to be of a certain speed as the legal right to internet of a certain speed.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Patricoo wrote:Its not free internet, its saying that all internet has to a be certain speed. Sorry to sound misleading. It was a big hub-ub on Twitter and other content sites today and I thought other people might be interested.

They basically made Dial-up, or anything slower then broadband internet, illegal to provide. All internet has to be of a certain speed as the legal right to internet of a certain speed.

These articles are pretty limited. Are they actually making lower speeds illegal? I would have interpreted it, under the new context, to say that 1 Megabit must be available. I'm curious now if there are any sort of pricing regulations to go along with that. Combined with the death of dial up and other low-speed low-cost internet solutions people might be forced to pay more money. Are people just making assumptions?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:29 pm

James wrote:That's what you get when you're talking about a right and when you use terms like, "[...] will be required to provide all Finnish citizens." If it is your right, you don't lose it, even if you cannot or will not pay for it. I read the article again, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss something (unless the article itself is incorrect).

I have to say that I agree completely with you here, James. I'm suspicious of the creation of 'rights' which enshrine material benefits beyond that which is necessary for human survival and dignity. It would be outrageous to see internet considered a 'right' for which people had no reciprocal responsibilities (whether in terms of cost or usage).
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Even as a right, that doesn't directly mean it would be 'free'.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Current Affairs