Internet: A Legal Right

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Internet: A Legal Right

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Ranbir wrote:Sounds like the US has some way to go if you're talking about wanting to see phones allowed to be unlocked and enjoy greater availability of pay-as-you-go services. :?

Yep. Well, there's huge pay-as-you-go availability, but it is hard to get the nicest phones in such a program. For example, AT&T only offers pay-as-you-go on the iPhone if you fail the credit check (though last I checked, you can actually still get subsidized when that happens, which is cool for those people). It is probably because phones are subsidized almost all the time here that they're not available as pay-as-you-go. In the US $200 buys the nicest phones, and people don't realize that those phones are actually closer to $500, $600.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:46 pm

It is normal for phones to be subsidized here, which is why iphone's starting price point, even on contract was a tad surprising. Now I see iphone provided free with contracts, no doubt with the oncoming of the phone becoming multi-network. I know UK has had pay-as-you go iphones for, nearly, a year I think - with certain features becoming subscription based instead.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Ranbir wrote:It is normal for phones to be subsidized here, which is why iphone's starting price point, even on contract was a tad surprising. Now I see iphone provided free with contracts, no doubt with the oncoming of the phone becoming multi-network. I know UK has had pay-as-you go iphones for, nearly, a year I think - with certain features becoming subscription based instead.

It was shocking here as well. Heck, I think I paid $600, with contract, for the iPhone when it first came out thanks to the business model Apple arranged with AT&T. Now they've gone down significantly, but we're not enjoying some of the variance and competition you are because it's still only with AT&T. If Apple opened it up to other networks I think we'd start to see heavier pricing competition. Apple actually noted that expectation in their recent earnings conference call. Everything is probably so stable right now because that's how Apple likes it.

I'm curious to see how they approach other types of networks, though. GSM is huge in Europe, but not so much here in the United States. The only other carrier compatible with the existing iPhone is T-Mobile, and their 3G network isn't compatible (I haven't researched the details on this, though). I'm curious to see if Apple will release an iPhone with CDMA capabilities (I doubt it). More likely they'll make it fully compatible with T-Mobile and branch out to other companies like Verizon as their new 4G networks are gradually rolled out down the road. In any case, competition is good for us at this point.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm

I think nowadays it should be, government's are putting information on websites, requiring people to use it for services, if your poor then the internet can get you things rather more cheaply then local shop so saving you precious money. Without internet your shut out of potential money savings and government services (or make it rather more difficult).

I'm worried for UK (and from outside, US also seems very patchy). The talk of the 5th industrial age is of AI, internet of things, robots. Yet UK comes into his age with poor internet by Europe standards, areas of the country where speeds are so bad that streaming isn't an option (let alone internet of things or being areas to build such new technology), where papers know they can easily find a horror area for internet any day they need space to fill, house-builders don't ensure good internet. With such bad internet, how are we in any place to embrace the advances in technology for business, economy and for personal lives? I don't expect us to be next South Korea but feel this should be top of the list of major infrastructure projects, more then HS2 or new runway.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:07 pm

I feel sorry for the people of Hull. I speak to customers all time who would love to join other network providers but because Kcom has a monopoly in Hull they get to charge £40 for standard broadband. Its disgusting.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Previous

Return to Current Affairs