2012 U.S. Presidential Election Speculation

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 2012 U.S. Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby Mistelten » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:54 am

I think both sides know what they need to do and it helps to get an early start.

Democrats: Play up success in Afghanistan if it comes. Capitalize on any upturns in the economy and make an easily digestible message to sum it up.

Republicans: Decide whether they want to stick with neoconservatism or return to a conservatism espoused by some of their critics.

I can see one easy point for the republicans to make: Obama's campaign lambasted McCain for his "The fundamentals of the economy are strong" quote (I'm paraphrasing here). The current debt will make that one boomerang, unless the economy meets phenomenal success. The rule by executive order will also be easy to use as proof of Obama's ignorance/inexperience.

The democrats had better have a great ace in the hole if (in my opinion, when) the "stimulus package" fails. They need that to succeed to project the image that they used in '08.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:59 am

Mistelten wrote:Capitalize on any upturns in the economy and make an easily digestible message to sum it up.

They're already all over this. I love listening to Biden glowing about the 'Obama effect' whenever the stock market improves. He's nowhere to be found whenever it goes into decline, though, nor does he make mention of the overall decline since Obama took office—or even the fact that many declines have corresponded directly to announcements made by the Obama administration. There sure must be a lot of ignorant people out there if he's got them eating out the palm of his hand. Heck, I wonder how many people honestly believe the stock market is directly tied to a president.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Its undeniable that too many people still see Obama with the glasses of the Messiah complex, which makes them just as bad as those who see him as a Manchurian candidate or those who actually blamed Obama's candidacy as being a major factor for the crisis.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 pm

People are fixated on personalities today. I doubt the average man on the street could tell you the difference in the purpose of the Congress and the President, even if the test were to appear simple.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Mistelten wrote:People are fixated on personalities today. I doubt the average man on the street could tell you the difference in the purpose of the Congress and the President, even if the test were to appear simple.

There's so much truth to this... it is very sad.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Antiochus wrote:too many people still see Obama with the glasses of the Messiah complex, which makes them just as bad as those who see him as a Manchurian candidate

That kind of leniency is indeed inexcusable. Shaw in The Manchurian Candidate wasn't aware of what he was doing, but Obama is clearly the one calling the shots!

And if life were to indeed imitate art, then it would be Joe Biden who would find himself in the role of the Manchurian Candidate.

Mistelten wrote:I doubt the average man on the street could tell you the difference in the purpose of the Congress and the President

These days not even the President and the Chief Justice can say the Oath right!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Tigger, are you capable of being fair when it comes to Obama? Blaming the oath thing on Obama is not just considering he was not the one who screwed up.

Raymond Aron
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:45 am

Antiochus wrote:Tigger, are you capable of being fair when it comes to Obama? Blaming the oath thing on Obama is not just considering he was not the one who screwed up.

Though I don't promise to make a habit of it, in this case I was scrupulously fair. Both men screwed up, so I blamed them both.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:19 pm

Not really, considering that when you are asked to ''Repeat after me'' and the guy guy screws up, its not really your fault if you follow.

Raymond Aron
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Antiochus wrote:Not really, considering that when you are asked to ''Repeat after me'' and the guy guy screws up, its not really your fault if you follow.

I'm not sure what happened but I should hope a leader actually pays attention to what they will be said and considers it while they're saying it. It doesn't exactly represent much of anything if they don't even know what it is they're going to say until they say it...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs