Barack Obama

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Barack Obama

Unread postby laojim » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 pm

I just saw the most remarkable post on Facebook. A friend of mine, a rather good banjo player in the area, posted on his page that he wanted anyone who intended to vote to reelect Obama to unfriend him and then explained how to do it. He went on to say that he needed to do that because he had been bothered about it for a long time and he felt that this move was freeing him of "political correctness."

I have never known anyone to take such an exclusive view of politics in America that he felt that he couldn't be friends with someone who approved of the elected president of the United States. I still find it both bizarre and foolish but, you don't abandon your friends just because they write foolish things on Facebook.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I suppose it's not so different from people who, in the real world, don't associate with others of a certain poetical persuasion. And then, one more step removed, not so different from people who don't associate with people from a particular religion, etc.

Not that I don't think it is childish.

Also, probably quite indicative of how someone assimilates information.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby laojim » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 pm

James wrote:I suppose it's not so different from people who, in the real world, don't associate with others of a certain poetical persuasion. And then, one more step removed, not so different from people who don't associate with people from a particular religion, etc.

Not that I don't think it is childish.

Also, probably quite indicative of how someone assimilates information.

You may be right, but I never particularly cared what people thought about politics or religion in strictly social situations. I was, in my teenage years, in a home with a Republican member of the ACLU, a former supporter of the Nazi party in Germany, a dedicated admirer of Kennedy, and a Goldwater republican so in that situation you can't be too exclusive. Lately I find that a lot of my friends are gay, Jewish, or both and I have no idea why that should be. So, life is too interesting to unfriend anyone who votes for someone you don't like. Hell, I even have friends who are elected Republicans.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:10 pm

laojim wrote:I was, in my teenage years, in a home with a Republican member of the ACLU, a former supporter of the Nazi party in Germany, a dedicated admirer of Kennedy, and a Goldwater republican so in that situation you can't be too exclusive. Lately I find that a lot of my friends are gay, Jewish, or both and I have no idea why that should be.

Wow, I hope that's not all the same person!!
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I think if I met a gay, Jewish former supporter of the Nazi Party in Germany who was a registered Republican with the ACLU and staunchly admired Kennedy, I would become friends with him. :shock:

I don't really care what people's political standpoints are either. I remember a teacher I had saying that politics are becoming really divisive nowadays to the point where it's like a war going on. I guess he's right.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Well, it was easier to have a rational, civilized political discourse when all any candidate from any party had to do was talk at length about how much they loved Jesus and hated Communism. Long as you passed the "loyalty test", voters were receptive to any idea you had in mind.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:00 am

Heard Obama's military cuts now include servicemen to pay more of their own health care costs.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Heard Obama's military cuts now include servicemen to pay more of their own health care costs.

If this is true, it would unequivocally suck! The next time my friend calls me from Afghanistan, I'll ask him if he knows anything about it.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:Heard Obama's military cuts now include servicemen to pay more of their own health care costs.

If this is true, it would unequivocally suck! The next time my friend calls me from Afghanistan, I'll ask him if he knows anything about it.

Here's the link I read about it.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Here's the link I read about it.

I saw some of the Conservatives I know sharing information about this today. I agree, we should not be messing with the health care plans of our military personnel. If you're going to sign up to be shot at for our country your healthcare should be taken care of. I don't trust things like this, though, until more information comes out about them. I also don't know anything about Free Beacon. That's a lot of information to report with no links or citations to source information.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs