Barack Obama

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Barack Obama

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

James wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:Here's the link I read about it.

I saw some of the Conservatives I know sharing information about this today. I agree, we should not be messing with the health care plans of our military personnel. If you're going to sign up to be shot at for our country your healthcare should be taken care of. I don't trust things like this, though, until more information comes out about them. I also don't know anything about Free Beacon. That's a lot of information to report with no links or citations to source information.

Indeed.

Hopefully, it doesn't carry as much weight as what is being cited because that sounds like Obama is trying to make himself unelectable in many eyes with something like that. It's one thing to pull our military out of countries or even cut the defense budget in certain areas, but cutting health care plans is simply ridiculous given the fact that it is as James mentioned above.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Hopefully, it doesn't carry as much weight as what is being cited because that sounds like Obama is trying to make himself unelectable in many eyes with something like that. It's one thing to pull our military out of countries or even cut the defense budget in certain areas, but cutting health care plans is simply ridiculous given the fact that it is as James mentioned above.

I'm also suspicious of it because it seems like Obama has been generally supportive of the military. Far more so than I expected when he was originally elected. And this also seems like something he knows better than to attack for a wide range of reasons.

A possible scenario I can envision is that some kind of change is being proposed that alters an element of healthcare for service personnel, perhaps involving some improvements and a cut or cuts which may actually make sense. Healthcare for military personnel is sacred but elements of it should also be subject to review for efficiency and appropriateness. Of course, it is easy for changes here to be inappropriate given the importance of these plans.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:04 pm

James wrote:A possible scenario I can envision is that some kind of change is being proposed that alters an element of healthcare for service personnel, perhaps involving some improves and a cut or cuts which may actually make sense. Healthcare for military personnel is sacred but elements of it should also be subject to review for efficiency and appropriateness. Of course, it is easy for changes here to be inappropriate given the importance of these plans.

I agree with this line of thought.

It would also be interesting to have such a question proposed to the current GOP hopefuls as to what they would do in regards to military cuts and healthcare for military personnel. I do believe in the statement where there's smoke, there's fire, but now I'm really interested in how much of this is smoke and how much fire. If I chose to go the route, I would assume it's mostly smoke being blown.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm

From what I understand, health care costs are the fastest rising expenditures when it comes to the military. It makes sense that Obama would try to cut them as anybody, upon seeing the numbers, would probably do the same thing. It's less of a moral concern and more of a fiscal one.

Anybody who tries to rein in spending is damned to be hated by a lot of people. Unfortunately, it is a necessity to do so on a wide variety of fronts.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Will the replacement of Clinton with Kerry change Obama's foreign policy or just going to be a new face?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Thoughts on Chuck Hagel in charge of defence? BBC portraying him as something of a dove.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Tien Lung » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSloMOso ... 3dgg6C0G6g

For the Christian Conservative's views on Chuck Hagel!:)
Tien Lung
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Over here, the idea of America and Cuba restoring relations (which I had thought had been going on somewhat in the last few years) has been met with a positive reaction. However how is it going down in the good old US?

As I understand it, there may also be issues with Obama going beyond his authority?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Over here, the idea of America and Cuba restoring relations (which I had thought had been going on somewhat in the last few years) has been met with a positive reaction. However how is it going down in the good old US?

As I understand it, there may also be issues with Obama going beyond his authority?

The news has been met with a varied reaction. From what I've read the majority of Americans are favorable to the idea, considering it a relic of the Cold War. However, it has been met with animosity from the conservatives and from cuban populations who fled. The conservatives are saying its antithetical to our foreign policy (i.e. dealing with the enemy) and it reverses any point we had tried to make.

As for exceeding his authority, I don't doubt it the issue is being raised. Obama exceeding his authority has been a rallying cry for his opponents since he took office from the ACA to Immigration Reform to this. The executive has large discretion in the area of foreign policy, but there is an embargo at issue.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Over here, the idea of America and Cuba restoring relations (which I had thought had been going on somewhat in the last few years) has been met with a positive reaction. However how is it going down in the good old US?

My impression has been the same as Shikanosuke's. Most people who know anything about the subject welcome the development. For example, sure, they could list their grievances with Cuba, but if there's ever been a double-standard it's the previous political position as compared to other countries. I think most of the noise is born entirely of political ambition and a desire to paint a few more brush strokes in a bigger political tapestry.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs