Barack Obama

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Barack Obama

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

There is a big summit in Paris sometime this year so might be climate change focus around then but it does seem like it has slipped off the map a bit
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Barack Obama

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Will Obama's climate change plans stick or will this fall by the wayside once his successor comes into office?

I think it's more likely they'll fall by the wayside.

In the first place, they're not going to continue unless a democrat gets elected. While that seems more likely at the current moment, it's not guaranteed. So if a Republican gets elected, pretty much everything climate-change related probably goes right out for 8 years (assuming re-election, probably a safe bet).

Besides that, I might have missed it - been watching/hearing less news lately - but there seems to be far less clamor about it now than 8 years ago. Guns have definitely taken a huge step forward, as has racial equality. Immigration was huge for a while, but I guess died down?

It also seems to be less of an issue internationally, so that contributes to the US not caring as much about it. That's my impression, anyway, like I said, I've taken in less news of late.

Obama has a climate change plan? Like a real plan or 12% of a plan? Because to me this looks to be barely a concept. A little over a third of all American carbon emissions come from power generation; 31% come from vehicular emissions and other forms of transportation. And this figure, being only 'domestic' carbon emissions, doesn't even account for international transportation - including what it takes to pump fossil fuels out of the ground and transport them here to be consumed.

Any coherent climate change plan will require a massive realignment in foreign policy that gets our noses out of the dirty fat plutocratic arses of the Saudis and the Kuwaitis. And preferably gives them all a big middle finger, the way Sweden did, while we're at it.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Previous

Return to Current Affairs