Barack Obama

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Barack Obama

Unread postby Patricoo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:20 pm

I was going to wait until he was actually inaugurated before making this thread, like our George W. Bush one, but there is a topic I wanted to discuss.

The cost of the Inauguration Ceremony seems to be up for debate on the exact number, but it certainly seems to be over 150 million at least. Part of me expects a high cost due to the general upkeep of the obscene amount of people, but the other part of me whines knowing that a good portion of money is going towards camera work, making sure the press gets good spots, and other various MTV-like celebrating. I'm not really up for wagging my finger at Obama himself for this price, as a portion of it was privately raised, but it's more of an eyeroll at the democrat party. Way to break the stereotype of "tax and spend."

I've been listening to some british humor lately which is doing a good job making fun of our love for the new president. One example, podcast The Bugle which is taking good shots of our unreasonably high exceptions of Obama.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Re: Barack Obama

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Several prominent journalists have noted this, but I guess the knowledge hasn't been distilled yet: the majority of the expenses for this inauguration have to do with the cost of security. This seems like a lot of money because George Bush spent around $50m for his inauguration in 2004; but as news reports from that time indicate, the $50m price tag didn't include security expenses.

The amount spent on security for Bush in 2004 aren't readily available, but I'd wager they didn't come close to that required for the first black president of the United States - especially after the latter part of the 2008 race exposed a great deal of hatred in the seething underbelly of America.

-neal
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 pm

This thread is now stickied. Here's to eight years of stickying!
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Patricoo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 pm

lessthanpleased wrote:Several prominent journalists have noted this, but I guess the knowledge hasn't been distilled yet: the majority of the expenses for this inauguration have to do with the cost of security. This seems like a lot of money because George Bush spent around $50m for his inauguration in 2004; but as news reports from that time indicate, the $50m price tag didn't include security expenses.

The amount spent on security for Bush in 2004 aren't readily available, but I'd wager they didn't come close to that required for the first black president of the United States - especially after the latter part of the 2008 race exposed a great deal of hatred in the seething underbelly of America.

-neal

...which is exactly why I don't give it more then an eye roll without blame. It seems as though public funds are only really going to what they need to go to and nothing outrageous, but knowing that millions of private dollars are going to "LOOK AT US" attitude of the party is a complaint I've had since the campaign. Again, it's more a limp-fisted jab a a group of people who refuse to lead by example.

Of course... to be honest... part of me just thinks it's me complaining as someone on the losing side.

I liked his speech. I do have an issue though. For example, I agree when he says he is absolutely correct that you don't have to choose one side or the other on all things, that such "opposite" concepts can coexist in some form or another. (Capitalism with regulation for example.) Then I always get annoyed afterword when the grey area remains undefined. I can't be fooled into thinking that there are only three elements, the left, the right, and the center. The center is not a definite point. It's an unknown, uncharted and vague area that can cover an enormous percentage of the political compass depending of the issue. Don't get me wrong, I like the whole speech thing. I could I not? But this sort of Buddhist-like "middle way" talk as though it's an easily identifiable trail to prosperity on the direction of 'cuz-I-said-so' is going to get old.

Again, mild complaint. Probably because I'm on the losing side.

lessthanpleased wrote:This thread is now stickied. Here's to eight years of stickying!

/me is nervous.
"Yey and did Fonzi downstairs cometh from his apartment from above the garage. And sayeth he, 'Reassembeleth will I, the pieces of my motorcycle, though I suffereth from temporary blindness. And yey for I am holy. Amen."
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 am

Patricoo wrote:For example, I agree when he says he is absolutely correct that you don't have to choose one side or the other on all things, that such "opposite" concepts can coexist in some form or another. (Capitalism with regulation for example.) Then I always get annoyed afterword when the grey area remains undefined. I can't be fooled into thinking that there are only three elements, the left, the right, and the center. The center is not a definite point. It's an unknown, uncharted and vague area that can cover an enormous percentage of the political compass depending of the issue.

You are right to say that there are not only the three elements of left, right and centre, but from there it doesn't really follow that the centre is 'unknown, uncharted and vague'. Libertarianism, for example, is a political philosophy that doesn't fall easily into the traditional left-right spectrum, nor is Obama's philosophy (which values a level economic playing field while promoting traditional family values and social cohesion), which I identify fairly closely with the communitarian movement - though I don't think Obama is an ideologue. He is surrounding himself with people who don't necessarily agree with him on every single issue, and I take comfort from the fact that he has articulated a pragmatic approach, expressly told us that his administration will show the proper respect for scientific data, and that he is expecting to be held to account.

lessthanpleased wrote:Here's to eight years of stickying!

L'chayyim.

I was tempted to turn on the speakers full blast with Handel's 'Zadok the Priest' blaring as Obama finished taking the oath of office, but I was a good boy and behaved myself... but I did sing it!

'And all the people rejoiced!'
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 pm

It's starting to look like Obama's going to start off this administration by cleaning up his own house - probably a wise move on his part. I'd like to see him close down Gitmo as he has promised to do, but the logistics of doing so might end up being a bit gnarly.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Patricoo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 am

WeiWenDi wrote:It's starting to look like Obama's going to start off this administration by cleaning up his own house - probably a wise move on his part. I'd like to see him close down Gitmo as he has promised to do, but the logistics of doing so might end up being a bit gnarly.

Their pay is still pretty outstanding. It seems more like a garnish move to me.
Patricoo
Langzhong

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh, I didn't expect their salaries to change much at all - but the full disclosure mandate, the hiatus mandate after leaving the administration and the bans aimed at preventing conflict of interest are more interesting to me. It will be interesting to see what kind of outcomes are wrought by these structural changes.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:31 pm

Inauguration had a lot of (Christian)prayer for the Head of the secular State.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Current Affairs