UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:10 am

I derived the greatest enjoyment from watching Carl of Swindon aka Sargon of Akkad and other UKIP candidates puff themselves up as some kind of new generation politicians, only to fail utterly and miserably in the elections.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Jordan wrote:I derived the greatest enjoyment from watching Carl of Swindon aka Sargon of Akkad and other UKIP candidates puff themselves up as some kind of new generation politicians, only to fail utterly and miserably in the elections.

Course they were going to fail. The election of Trump and Brexit has caused a lot of people to come out of the woodwork and believe their brand of discrimination is acceptable but it's not. Its never been about UKIP or the Brexit Party its always been about Nigel and his cult of personality. He's a good orator and is able to convince people that only Elitists want to remain the EU despite it literally being peddled and led by people who spend the most when its comes to expense claimed from our taxes. People who think nothing of jumping on £25K flights to Europe. Farage doesn't even care that his politics is possibly going to end the union of the UK because half of the nations involved in the UK desperately do not want it. Farage said that we should have multiple referendums about Brexit, until they won a chance vote that many Remainers were complacent in because they assumed we were safe. Now they won by the narrowest of margins, suddenly, no referendums. Most Remainers I know, didn't vote and even then, NI still voted Remain.

These Nationalistic extremists are the minority but those loud minorities are the ones who feel disaffected enough to bother voting.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Jordan wrote:I derived the greatest enjoyment from watching Carl of Swindon aka Sargon of Akkad and other UKIP candidates puff themselves up as some kind of new generation politicians, only to fail utterly and miserably in the elections.

I think a lot of people would have but Brexit party has simply, and seemingly done better, in the role UKIP once held so tempers it. As Sun Xia says, without Farage they had little

Most Remainers I know, didn't vote and even then, NI still voted Remain.

These Nationalistic extremists are the minority but those loud minorities are the ones who feel disaffected enough to bother voting.

In fairness, I know plenty of Brexiteers in England who didn't vote and I believe a lot of those that didn't vote in England were of the areas and class that leant towards Brexit. If everyone had voted, Remain might have won by "I don't care, keep as is I guess" but more likely, results would have been more or less the same.

Tory leadership, Hammond, Remainer election pact in Wales
-Corbyn says Sir Sedwill has promised a robust inquiry and assured the civil service will abide by democratic results and the government that is elected. Soldiers who used Corbyn picture as target practise have not been sacked, Labour seem content with promise MOD have disciplined them. Corbyn writes to head of Amazon “Dear Jeff. Happy Birthday. You owe the British people millions in taxes that pay for the public services that we all rely on. This year, pay your fair share of taxes, give your hard-working staff a pay rise and respect workers’ rights.
“Many Happy Tax Returns,
Jeremy.”

-Boris says mission is to protect country from a Corbyn government, on Islamphobia he says party welcomes people from all creeds but wishes he could ban racists from voting for him and important to protect freedom of speech, no Scottish voter could back a Tory party that ignored Brexit referendum result. Tech firms need to pay more tax, no accountability among rail firms. Tells Telegraph he will make UK greatest pace on earth and all we need is optimism to get a good Brexit deal, can't see circumstances where parliament would be prorogued.

Boris "apology" to Scotland over insulting it's people in articles "Of course I am sorry if people take offence at distorted quotations from old newspaper articles", accuses SNP of damaging Scottish economy with way they have used powers, on gaffes “When people say you are making a gaffe, what you are doing is saying something true and necessary.” Could have made more money if not a politician, student debt is giant ponzi scheme, dislikes austerity and blocked Cameron calling Olympics an austerity Olympics, won't accept chlorinated chicken from US.

-Hunt says he gives straight answers to questions, he wants to encourage three generations of families to live together like Italy and Spain which spends less on social care without the crises, important to understand the fears of the 48% and show world we are not going to be a UKIP Brexit that rejects foreigners, would reform foreign aid and wouldn't scrap it.

Would change the law so councils and the watchdog Homes England can buy up cheap land to build affordable homes, all to play for in leadership race. Backs inquiry into Islamophobia, won't got to polls till Tories have more young members, every day Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is in jail then he as Foreign Secretary has let her down, proposals royal commission on migrant wage cap with the £30,000 one not suitable

-MP's debate on assisted dying done with dignity and powerful speeches

-Barclay says no deal prep must be turbocharged and they will be ready by deadline, Hammond it would be shocking if parliament is prorogued and is sure parliament will find a way to block no deal

-Papers on a range of stories including leadership bids and seizing Iran oil tanker, Sun says Hunt's ideas mean he deserves big job if he loses

-Allegations Downing Street tried to withhold sensitive information from foreign secretary Boris with some blame attached to number 10 over this, Boris and May's team deny it

-Plaid and Lib Dems form election pact behind Lib Dems for Brecon and Radnorshire in the interests of Remain

-Sturgeon says May's review of the union is too little too late with Tories having been high-handed and dismissive in last three years and destroyed any notion of a partnership of equals

-Northern Ireland's Electoral Commission concerned at Westminster plans to defer Stormont election to 21 October 2019, with a provisional further extension to 13 January 2020.

-Productivity drops for third quarter in row with ONS calculating poor productivity has cost workers £5k a year since crash

-Hammond and family preparing to move out of number 11, is a lot left unfinished, being in cabinet is a slightly unreal reality and will be learning how to use social media+creating his own day. Going to EU as a minister took him on a journey to understand EU isn't imposed on us but how UK (which he now acknowledges is no longer hugely respected) was a major voice that shaped EU and we could have done more with that, weird that only good write ups he gets now are in Guardian and he dare not open Telegraph.

Respects those who admit Brexit will make us poorer but would do it for other reasons but has no time for those who pretend we will become richer, EU won't budge on three fundamentals but will be flexible about future relationship so will be deal, always got on well with May who he feels is similar to him in many respects

===

-Paul Sweeney urges Labour to defend free movement is a class issue

-Widdecombe says complaints about her speech are people being melodramatic and she was making point about UK being oppressed, Brexit party ask if critics want to ban Last Night of the Proms and rule Britannia

-Sir Major backs Hunt

-Brexit party using air raid sirens to introduce Farage feels in bad taste

====

-Rebecca McQuillan UK citizen assembly needed to discuss the union

-Professor Tim Bales with research on stances of Tory membership views

-Simon Jenkin Hunt blundered on Hong Kong

-Iain Dale on his thoughts from Tory hustings

-Fleet Street fox says Brexit party have no chance at election but Labour needs to accept a Remain coalition
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:39 pm

-Papers on Boris or Royal Christening controversy, ConHome backs Boris, Telegraph and Sun accuse Hammond of leading Tory 30 MP's in plans to block no deal

-Boris pledges end to "soft justice", would demand all migrants learn English so they can integrate better and feel more English

-Hunt says he is best placed to win over the young and urges people to avoid voting till they see two televised hustings planned, will engage fully with Sturgeon on everything but independence, is worried by Sturgeon's lack of no deal preparation

-D'Arcy Week Ahead

-Some Tory activists given two voting papers, they have been warned if they try to vote twice they will be expelled. Youguv poll of Tory activists has Boris winning by 74% vs 26%

-Gauke intending to bring in "Helen's law" (no parole till all bodies locations are revealed)

-Jules Rutherford, who will be Labour's head of membership from start of this week, accused of sharing video that argues anti-Semitism claims are smear

-Gauke says MP's will find a way to block no deal, LIdington will refuse to serve a cabinet that sought no deal

-Opposition leaders call for inquiry into arm sales to Saudi Arabia

-Robin Walker EU should protect citizen's rights even with no deal

=====

-Anna Turley is new Co-op party chair sets out why they matter and the future

-Gordon Brown Labour has to do a lot more on anti-Semitism

-Tommy Robinson convicted of contempt of court over facebook broadcast

====

-Kuessenberg on the intelligence accusations

-Forsyth (sun) Boris needs to be magnanimous, team preparing, Corbyn needs to make a Brexit decision fast
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks for your daily posts DZ. I've just read 2 weeks worth and it has allowed me to catch up with all I missed easily :).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 pm

How many times did you wish to flee the country? :wink:

ambassador emails about Trump leaks, Tories
-Boris says he isn't bluffing about leaving on no deal, accuses May and co of "diet of miserablism" and a "computer says no" attitude, need to be the party of wildlife and clean environment

-Hunt promises to rewrite treason laws, asks everyone to only vote once out of a sense of fairness, believes he can find fund to match Boris pledge on policing

-Papers on royals mostly but they are pretty much looking at Boris first 100 days as victory is all but his in their eyes, Sunday Times saying Abbott and McDonnell demanding Corbyn sack his close aids Karie Murphy and Seumas Milne

-Emails from our ambassador in USA Sir Kim Darroch have leaked, he calls Trump administration insecure, incompetent, "uniquely dysfunctional" but Trump should not be written off. "We don't really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction-riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.", questions if it will ever look competent, Trump was dazzled by state visit but won't stop him being American First in talks, emails need to be short and even blunt to get through to Trump. US policy on Iran is chaotic and incoherent, doesn't think that will change as adminstration is divided but doesn't think Trump was fully on board with strikes idea

I think we may get a bit of backlash from Trump in next few days and will make talks awkward

-Javid backing Boris

-McDonnell wants parts of Treasury to be moved north

-Gauke says he can't sign pledge committing to no deal on Oct31st if a deal isn't reached

=====

-IDS says Brexit, with trade deals (given we can't roll over existing ones, what trade deals?) all set to go and lead us to a new age of prosperity

-McLoughlin admits he is one of those that got two ballots

====

-Isbael Hardman why Hunt has failed
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:16 pm

I mean... no. When you see the political situation of other countries with a corrupt president that has been in power longer than I've been alive and the infrastructure (or lack of) the UK looks alright. Even with Boris Johnson appeared to be the PM elect.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 am

Sun Fin wrote:I mean... no. When you see the political situation of other countries with a corrupt president that has been in power longer than I've been alive and the infrastructure (or lack of) the UK looks alright. Even with Boris Johnson appeared to be the PM elect.

Fair point
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 am

Sorry, I know you were going for a light hearted joke but it has made me reconsider how bad things in the UK really are.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Oh certainly, UK is really bad for a first world country but only within a first world country. Others are in way way worse then we are likely to be even with a no deal.

Of course doesn't mean we should accept how bad things have got ("think of the poorer" can be a blocker) or not to be deeply deeply alarmed at idea of proroguing parliament which feels like one of those "only an emergency step" that crosses a very dangerous line
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs