UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:10 pm

-Withdrawal Agreement reopened as Brexit dates need changing, Lagarde warns delay will have it's own problems so hopes for deal soon but no deal remains a terrible idea, May's humorous answer to Cash demanding she resign "I think you know the answer to that" been well noted. Hammond says US authorities have prepared well for no deal, UK will have a lot of work to do to rebuild reputation, looking for successor to Carney, expects business investment boost once a deal is reached

-Corbyn opposed to extraditing Assange to US, he and Abbott question US motives, this may cause a bit of row in Labour ranks as a poxy for foreign policy disagreements.

-Papers on Assange, Times says DUP is in talks with Boris team

-Upskirting now a crime

====

-Katya Adler thinks UK has overexgeratted Macron vs Merkel, Dr Lisa Cameron Brexit impact on fashion

-Halfon (sun) opposes raising fuel duty

-Starkey was a complete jerk to Ash Sarkar on Politics Live

====

-Kettle ERG has lost the Brexit war but MEP elections will be key moment

-Andrew Grimson May's bravery could see her deal through

-Lewis Goodall on dangerous mood on ground

-Kuessenberg says breather much needed and May's rivals not willing to provide leadership right now

-Imogen Shaw feels Labour failed to deal with the Swedish accusations against Assange correctly

-Alex Massie ] not a fan of Labour's response to Assange to say the least
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:39 am

I don't know enough about the Assange - US case, but I do agree with the 70+ MPs who signed a letter saying he should be expedited... to Sweden.

Also Brexit is still a mess.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I don't know enough about the Assange - US case, but I do agree with the 70+ MPs who signed a letter saying he should be expedited... to Sweden.

Sweden can have him later, but let’s give him time to reveal all our politicians’ dirty secrets first. :lol:
Jia Nanfeng
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I don't know enough about the Assange - US case, but I do agree with the 70+ MPs who signed a letter saying he should be expedited... to Sweden.

Sweden would suit everybody here

I slightly worried that the pressure has gone off a little too much

====

-McDonnell says talks with Gove and Lidington positive and constructive, Hammond says MEP elections feel like a pointless exercise so hope deal is done before then and Brexit is delaying key decisions for spending review

-Papers on Assange, Telegraph claiming Javid had a detailed technical plan for Irish border based on Swiss one but Treasury blocked it and that Tories feel McDonnell and Long Bailey have been helpful but Stramer is being a blocker

-Thornberry says if Sweden reopens Assange case and requests extradition they should get first priority rather then US, Abbott says he should face justice system if Sweden presses charges, more then 70 MP's have written to Javid indicating they feel Sweden should be taken seriously on this matter

-Morning Star interviews Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford

-Heidi Allen says Brexit death threats have shaken her to the core but she will not be bullied

-Ipso orders Telegraph to print retraction as there is no evidence to support Boris claims that polls show public want no deal.

====

-Baker says Redwood only member of ERG opposed to any deal, admits he was pro the Euro till he read EU constitution and Lisbon treaty which he feels robs people of freedom and overrode people's democratic objections, considers himself on free market left and a Christian (but public policy must be secular) libertarian, states over-promise for things they can't pay with taxes and rely on currency debasement to cover debts. Interesting on Nick Robinson's Political thinking podcast

-Carmichael wants Scottish currency to be legal across UK

-UKIP and Brexit party already insulting each other

====

-Forsyth (sun) Corbyn has decision to make, Boris back in contention, expects third extension and other stories

-Peter Oborne if May will hang on, Sir Scruton's sacking and HS2

-Mark Wallace Farage's new party could be a problem for Tories

-Sean O'Grady hopes Farage gets crushed at MEP elections
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:-Sean O'Grady hopes Farage gets crushed at MEP elections

I think this article is pure wishful thinking.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Sun Fin wrote:

Yeah I nearly didn't include it, I try to include range of views though. It is possible Brexit parties shoot themselves in foot by infighting but I still expect them to do well (unless Brexiteers on mass boycott)

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:

Yeah I nearly didn't include it, I try to include range of views though. It is possible Brexit parties shoot themselves in foot by infighting but I still expect them to do well (unless Brexiteers on mass boycott)

I'm glad you share a variety of articles - helps me to stay on top of a spectrum of views! You posted it after an article that declared the exact opposite so I knew it was unlikely to be your opinion. They are just so clearly stuck in their echo chamber, the way they are talking is like they don't realise that much of the country who did vote Brexit still feel strongly about it! My social media isn't representative as I tend to be friends mainly with young, white, middle class southerners who as a bloc almost voted unanimously for remain but even I see vocal advocates of Brexit on my Facebook page.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
I'm glad you share a variety of articles - helps me to stay on top of a spectrum of views! You posted it after an article that declared the exact opposite so I knew it was unlikely to be your opinion. They are just so clearly stuck in their echo chamber, the way they are talking is like they don't realise that much of the country who did vote Brexit still feel strongly about it! My social media isn't representative as I tend to be friends mainly with young, white, middle class southerners who as a bloc almost voted unanimously for remain but even I see vocal advocates of Brexit on my Facebook page.

I think MEP elections will be a problem for the country, people are wondering and suspicious about why Brexit hasn't happened yet, MEP elections will be a "what the hell" moment for a lot more. I do worry we will get another Cox moment and I expect some level of civil disobedience so won't be an easy time for the country. I think we may get an unusually high turn out to send a message, if that happens then it won't be the Remain parties that win

====

-Conversation between Corbyn and Dame Hodge leaked (Hodge recorded it) where he expressed concern that evidence of anti-Semitism within Labour was "mislaid or ignored" and that his idea was for Lord Falconer to see if a quicker better process can be created, Labour says this shows he cares about the matter, Dame Hodge says the process needs to be fully independent and complete change at top with system broken

-Papers on Brexit, Sunday Telegraph fears Corbyn is going to easily get majority with Tories to lose 59 seats so May has to go now, Sunday Express fears talks will fail and Brexit is dead, Sun on Sunday and Mail on Sunday believe Bercow has cancelled plans to retire, Observer agrees Tories doing badly in polls but fear millions will desert Corbyn over Brexit.

-Labour's leader in the European Parliament, Richard Corbett says Labour could lose Remainers unless it offers clarity of second referendum, Blackford accuses Corbyn of wasting time, Hammond says Brexit is hampering efforts to replace Carney. Batten says Remainers should vote Lib Dem's rather then main two parties and Brexiteers should vote UKIP

-Lammy says his comparisons of ERG with Naz'si were not strong enough and seems to suggest BBC should silence/bocytt the ERG. Lammy can be a complete idiot to say the least (racist pope smoke anyone?) but this is dangerous and a jerk thing to do

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
I think MEP elections will be a problem for the country, people are wondering and suspicious about why Brexit hasn't happened yet, MEP elections will be a "what the hell" moment for a lot more. I do worry we will get another Cox moment and I expect some level of civil disobedience so won't be an easy time for the country. I think we may get an unusually high turn out to send a message, if that happens then it won't be the Remain parties that win

Yeah I agree, I think the only redeeming feature is that the Pro-Leave vote will be split between Farage and UKIP. I can certainly image someone campaigning on on a remain platform being killed for being a "traitor". How did our politics get here? :(
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:

Yeah I agree, I think the only redeeming feature is that the Pro-Leave vote will be split between Farage and UKIP. I can certainly image someone campaigning on on a remain platform being killed for being a "traitor". How did our politics get here? :(

Same as rest of world, finical crises, the sense of job and future security going, loss of trust in institutions, social media, a sense of cultural divide, add here the touchpaper that was Brexit referendum and years of media and others taking free shots against Westminster so damaging it's standing (a lesson they vow to learn then do nothing about). These are angry, ugly times and I suspect could be for some time

=====

-Morduant concerned at rising debts to China for developing and poor countries

-Papers on attempts to remove May, Times says May's rivals hoping for it after phase 1 of Brexit

-Hammond says May's Brexiteer rivals for leadership in 2016 "Gove and Johnson knifed each other in an unintended suicide pact... then Leadsom knifed herself in a private suicide pact."

-Lidington says talks can't go on forever and they will take stock in 10 days, compromises needed, ousting May doesn't change the basic maths. Both sides set up working groups in key areas to find compromise, Andy McDonland says talks count for nothing if May is replaced during and with a hard brexiteer

-Dr Fox calls for business to help reform WTO

-Government looking at ending no fault evictions

-Jess Philips doesn't agree with UKIP's claim that Carl Benjamin (a potential UKIP MEP candidate) was being satirical when he said of her "I wouldn't even rape you.". I'm with Philips on this

====

-MP's angry at use of statuary instrument to get through state pension freeze for those abroad

-Sir Cable on local elections

-IDS (just a reminder to Tories, you have had a lot worse then May) demands May goes in next month as he fears Labour talks are recipe for disaster, Blair and Bertie Ahern lessons from Good Friday talks that can be used for Brexit

====

-D'Ancona on attempts to excuse lies and threats as satires or jokes

-Thom Brook warns Implementation bill will be harder then Withdrawal Agreement

-Matthew Norman warns don't underestimate Farage

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs