UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm

-May to resign once Withdrawal Agreement passes (ie gets Royal Assent, doesn't say she will go if deal falls), attempting to use that to get enough ERG over the line to her deal. Says to her party she has heard what the party is saying and their worries about her handling phase 2 of talks, now asks them to do their duty. Tory MP's praise her dignity in the 1922 meeting, Rees-Mogg says he will back as long as DUP abstain. Press expecting contest (if deal happens) starts May 22nd, allow May to go to G0 in Japan and new leader in mid July, Corbyn says resignations show May is putting party management above country (one might note some Labour party management in their whipping today...), Boris declares he will now back May's deal.

-Thornberry indicates Labour will demand confirmatory referendum on whatever deal is agreed but then Gardiner says it would make Labour seem a Remain party Labour to whip for confirmatory referendum though later admits it goes beyond their party policy (realizing they needed to sort that before PMQ's...) then later go whip for Labour's plan, customs union and support but not whip Common Market. Tories free vote with cabinet abstaining but try to stop Monday vote, Bercow whittles 16 down to 8 (no deal, referendum on deal, Labour, Norway, Common Market 2.0, customs union, Malthouse, revoke article 50), government attempts to kill the Monday voting day loses 331 votes to 287 - a majority of 44 with 33 Tory rebels, Bercow hardens further against May deal, killing the "but MP's can vote for it to be discussed" (was expected this would be used on Friday to get such a vote) which many feel is going way over his authority.

Thornberrry says Labour have some reservations about Norway 2.0, DUP urges MP's to stand firm against May's deal and back Malthouse. Rumours cabinet may see major resignations if not allowed free votes on indicative votes, revocation petition reaches most every signatures at over 5.75 million and will be debated on Monday along with ones for referendum and one for no deal Brexit. Tusk says EU will be happy for a long delay to allow a rethink and to avoid betraying the marchers and petitioners, Leadsom says they hope to try May 3 this week but doesn't give full backing to May. Sir Letwin doesn't expect agreement today but Monday should whittle it down to one option and Commons can try to force government to obey via legislation, Verhofstadt believes marches show UK will one day return to EU,

-Williamson edits out Cairns from photo with Truss

-When Farage asks MEP's if they really want a delay of Brexit and his return Barnier tells Farage "Mr Farage, no-one in Brussels is trying to steal Brexit from you, no-one is trying to undo the vote of the British people. It is not Brussels that decided that the UK would leave the EU. You were the ones who made that choice and you are the ones who have to take your responsibility and face up to the consequences of that decision. No-one else."

-BBC the main indicative proposals, D'Arcy on how it will work

-Papers on Brexit, though Express not happy at speed limit changes, Sun does not like Letwin

-Parliament finds Dominic Cummings in contempt

-Woody Johnson watched PMQ's, May's good mood and not vowing to stay has led to speculation that she knows she is going

====

-Lord Finkelstein "I don't think anybody in the Conservative Party thought euroscepticism would translate into voting to leave the EU", IDS expects May deal to get through, journalist John Renotoul a tad sarcastic at some of the many many proposed indicative votes "If people are allowed to put down motions proposing milk, honey and eternal sunshine, yes they might get more votes than WA & PD". Rees-Mogg apologises for changing his mind and backing May's deal while acknowledging he will be called a traitor for this. Jo Stevens opposes Common Market and Norway 2.0 ideas, SNP MEP Alyn Smith to EU "I am asking you to leave a light on so that we can find our way home."

-Blunt objects to Bercow's anti-racisim speech given Bercow's history and his feeling Bercow needs to pipe down

-Bizarre moment as Rees-Mogg accuses Boles of acting like a Winchester rather then an old Etonian

-Seems to be some fury in Brexiteer ranks as Boris joins Rees-Mogg in saying they should vote for May's deal to prevent Brexit being cancelled though he seems to be saying he will only do it if May promises to go, will want a Canada style deal and ideally would be a leaver PM, May needs to change approach

-Local MP's ask West Ham to condemn Democratic Football Lads Alliance

-Sir Chope suggesting children in knife crime areas learn martial arts not gone down well

-Derek Hatton withdraws attempt to rejoin Labour

-UKIP down to three members of the Welsh Assembly (they got seven in 2016) as Michelle Brown resigns calling it a boy club, opposed to their attitude on devolution and distancing herself from far-right leadership, UKIP says not surprise as hasn't voted enough and drifted away from party

-Laura Pidcock given a rough time on Politics Live on Labour's stance on Brexit

====

-John Domokos defends political vox pops

-Tom McTague and Charlie Cooper expects indicative votes to be messy

-Adler says EU not optimistic about today's vote

-Andrew Grice on his reading of ERG switching and general situation

-Mark Wallace wonders why referendum supporters try to avoid a vote

-Tom Harris says Brexit and Scotland question shows if debate goes on a long time, tensions grow
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:32 am

I think a fair few MP's (including Labour leadership) and journalists owe May a public apology, slamming her for her handling of parliament (though she has made horrific mistakes), that her deal was unacceptable and that it was clear Labour's/Norway/referendum/unicorn would command majority if only she would give it a fair vote (and EU would accept these because Britannia rules the waves pip pip, Remainers as arrogant as Brexiteers on this). When May pointed out such things as default is no deal, that parliament kept voting down other alternatives, that some of these were unicorns, these were threats and offensive (though there was a real issue with that recent speech).

Well Parliament forced it's say. It voted down 8 different routes could not find a majority for anything. Even the unicorns. Even when the system was set up in Labour's favour. Shambles. Embarrassment. National humiliation managed (and without getting a deal with 27 countries that at least May can claim credit for). Nothing commands majority of the Commons, May has made mistakes, she has issues but the problem lies not with her, not with the EU but with MP's as a whole. I don't blame them as such for that but they need to acknowledge they were unfair and get off their high horses, to face the actual reality
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:33 pm

Delay passes 441 votes to 105 - a majority of 336, was expected though required opposition parties to get over line with 93 Tory rebels and many abstaining with less then half of Tories voting for. Speaker suspended session as count took longer then suspended but as mace was left in place, some Tories tried to get Elanor Laing to take speaker seat which did not impress journalists. Nor I suspect the results of farce (Baron's no deal lost 400 vs 160 so loss of 240, Boles Common Market 2.0 283-188 so 95, George Eustice Norway idea 377-65 gets worst defeat with 312, Ken Clarke's custom union 272-264 so loss of 8, Labour 307-237 so 70, Cherry's revocation 293-184 so 109, Dame Beckett referendum on deal 295-268 so 27, Fysh's version of Malthouse 422-139 so 283). DUP abstained on Common Markets and customs union (which might have swung the latter), 27 Labour rebels on referendum while shadow housing minister, Melanie Onn, has resigned., Gwynne, Trickett and Lavery abstain (usually a sacking offence pre Brexit) on three line whip on referendum.

Afterwards Letwin says he knew this was possible but Monday should go ahead, some loud jeers suggest Monday's indicative votes might not go ahead. If it does, one would expect Clarke and referendum to be taken as the closest to being seen as acceptable but then what else? Problem for Bercow is government can say a fair few options like Labour's have been voted down a few times so can't go ahead if May's deal isn't allowed for vote, when McLaughlin raised this Bercow's attempts to say it was different was met with jeering but Clarke and referendum backers saying they got more then May's deal.

Is this going to solve anything? No. How close Clarke and referendum came will see soft Brexiteers and Remainers double down, the failure of DUP to back May combined with the "no deal still default" if they can just keep parliament divided will likely see wavering ERG less inclined towards May's deal. May will hope press will put pressure on MP's, hold them harder and harder to account for the self indulgence of voting down May's deal, attacking May while claiming there is a majority for something there isn't actually a majority for, then lose so failing to provide any alternative to May's deal or no deal. She may get more sympathy from EU and press now everyone has seen the idiocy she is having to deal with in Westminster, that actually she isn't the blocker. May's hopes will be that pressure and that "ok my dream isn't going to happen but if I don't vote for May's deal, no deal could happen or constant chaos/"ok no deal still unlikely and softer Brexit or long delay might happen" leeches enough nervy MP's now they have received this shock.

=====

-There is a vote on.... something Brexity tomorrow. Seems it will be May splitting the Brexit deal and only bringing forward the Withdrawal Agreement so EU extension activates, Labour says they won't back it and neither will DUP (see below).

-DUP not backing May's deal due to backstop which they feel remains a threat to the union (unlike, say, voting Brexit if your a N.Ireland party and ignoring pleas of N.Ireland to be less hardline or failing to establish a working government). Not giving Rees-Mogg (who seems to be wavering between going for deal and not) and co the coverage they badly want to swap but maybe May, negotiator with 27 countries, can teach "master negotiators" DUP (can't form a government) about the art of negotiating to lure them over?

-Hammond on May going "She has demonstrated once again that she puts getting an orderly Brexit done ahead of everything else.", Barclay points out indicative votes show May's deal best way forward, Blackford says it shows need for election, sir Stramer says May going makes it harder for Labour to back deal as blindfold as to who will lead talks

-Labour will have the 27 rebels issue to deal with, the three abstainers and that party chair Lavery voted for Malthouse

-Papers on May leaving (vote was too late for headlines but they agree it is an utter farce), Daily Star offering free Brexit swear box.

-The million march is, as I understand it, more likely to have been 300-400 thousand marchers according to crowd estimate experts

-Bercow says both sides of Brexit have accused him of bias, his bias is towards parliament, refuses to undermine convention for sudden populairyt for May's deal (um...)

-Corbyn tweets an attack on SNP for 40 years ago bringing down a Labour goverment. Sturgeon responds "Dear @jeremycorbyn - instead of talking about things that happened when I was eight years old, how about showing some leadership today? You could start by asking yourself why the polls show you still trailing behind the most incompetent Tory government in our lifetimes."

-Hunt calls himself a one nation Tory and that with austerity then Brexit, neither Cameron or May had a chance to show what that means, won't back referendum and now would vote Leave, remarks "Brexit is far more important than the ambitions of the many people who might like to succeed Theresa May."

====

-Baker no longer wants to give back parliamentary sovereignty, he wants to bulldoze parliament, MP's are fools, knaves and cowards who don't know what they are voting on and he may resign whip. Lord Forsyth blames Brexit delay on Remainer plot, James Cleverly "In a spectacular display of indecision, the House of Commons has voted against remaining in the EU and every version of leaving the EU.". Owen Smith "Labour is an internationalist, pro-European, ‘Remain’ Party. Or it is nothing. If every Labour MP had been true to our roots, a People’s Vote could have passed tonight. We will not be forgiven if we fail our country and allow Brexit to break the UK". IDS had switched to May's deal before DUP announcement, Letwin says no deal more likely unless some sort of deal agreed but if May's deal isn't passed by Monday then people will firm up behind something in indicative votes, Damian Green says May's deal or customs union is the choice now. Raab says time to be pragmatic and we should go back to EU to demand changes to backstop and if they refuse then discuss managed no deal with them,

-Mercer warns they need to pick a leader on issues beyond Brexit

-Some journalist reactions Jessica Elgot "Brilliant to hear a whole range of new Brexit options that MPs don’t want. Truly illuminating.", Michael Deacon "In summary: the Commons has now overwhelmingly rejected every single type of Brexit, and no Brexit. Theresa May must now simultaneously stay and resign." Henry Newman "So Parliament takes control and then proves it can't decide. Great. What a waste of time! Remember Friday is the deadline. Can we just decide if we want to leave with this deal or not leave? Any MP who refuses to address that basic choice should be treated to @maitlis sideeye"

====

-Sonia Sodha what we learnt from the votes

-Tom MacTague with (long read) how EU won the negotiations from the start and relentlessly defeated May

-Rentoul May's deal made more likely

-Jane Merrick says May brought down by her own mistakes, Jason Beattie also not a fan, Peter Oborne more positive and Alex Massie on where it went wrong

-Joe Marshall explains tomorrow's vote, Jo Maugham is sceptical

-Charles Grant on mood in EU

-Peter Foster on where tomorrow's vote might leave us

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 pm

-May's Withdrawal Agreement defeated 344 votes to 286 – a majority of 58, leaves April 12th as deadline now. May warns consequences of this are grave and no time to legislate for a deal (despite MP's voting against no deal) but she will keep fighting for an orderly Brexit, May's warning parliament has reached it's limit on this is being seen as warning she may seek an election . Corbyn and Blackford calls for election with all opposition leaders saying deal is dead, EU emergency summit on 10th and rules out the latest Brexiteer fantasy of "managed no deal", press suspect May will wait to see what emerges on Monday then try one last time in a head to head with whatever wins. Dodds says DUP could still back deal if she will just go back to EU to deal with backstop and says he would prefer Remain over anything that risks the union (maybe he should have thought of this three years ago?), Vadaker wonders if UK isn't aware no deal is growing prospect

-Plaid will vote against May's split deal, Stramer explains why Labour opposes, Merkel to visit Dublin next Thursday. Cox warns no deal without Withdrawal Agreement and last chance for guaranteed May 22nd extension rather then hoping no EU veto, agrees to legislate that parliament sets phase 2 mandate. European Commission confirm only Withdrawal Agreement needed for May22nd extension, Sturgeon warns customs union is not enough to win them over and they require full single market as well.

-Press on key Brexit day but most were not optimistic, Sun with Come on Arlene

-Jeremy Wright outright rules himself out of leadership, doesn't want family or himself to go through it

-TIG to call themselves Change UK as a party. It is a bad name and Change.orgUK seeking legal advice

-GDP for third-quarter of 2018 revised tp +0.7%, up from +0.6%. and thus last year growth up to 1.4%

-Nandy warns they are being shouted at as traitors and MP staff have had to leave early for their own safety

-Vote Leave drop appeal against Electoral Commission and will pay fine

-Today was Brexit day, Dr Fox has managed eight trade roll overs. Out of over 70.

====

-Burt says international community have concern at stability of UK due to Brexit, Rees-Mogg hints he would back Boris again in leadership contest, Raab says he won't vote for deal but then changes mind on Withdrawal Agreement. Boris says he will vote for it for risk of losing Brexit

-Telegraph's Michael Deacon "Mr Speaker, I beg to move Amendment Z in my name: That this House agrees to build a effeing time machine"

-Conservative Home has 60% back voting for May's deal, didn't see that one coming, it was 19% two months ago and 40% a month ago

===

-D'Arcy senses time is running out for Bercow

-Younge on Brexit shows broken system that needs fixing

-Hinsliff (far from only one) objects to Tory members being only ones to have say on next PM and Brexit path taken

-Solomon Hughes not impressed by Grayling's probation reforms

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:29 pm

-Cherry says she was abused by Brexit marchers

-I just wonder what end point MP's are imagining their actions will lead to, I'm wondering if they simply think EU won't allow no deal to happen and there will be delay after delay to allow UK to sort itself out.

-Government worried Macron will veto extension, EU putting pressure on Ireland to prepare for no deal border, business groups not impressed. Drax on voting for deal “I personally feel utterly ashamed of myself for betraying everything I believed in, that this deal was a rotten deal, I had to swallow everything I believe in. There’s only one thing the prime minister can do: get us out on 12th April. Because if we don’t, God help us.”

Freeman wants a cross party emergency Brexit war cabinet, Lord Mervyn King slams Hammond for delaying no deal Brexit preparations so long but feels we are well placed for no deal and so should take it with people getting too scared of it.

-Dominic Grieve lost a vote of no-confidence in his Beaconsfield constituency.

-Have a guess what paper front pages were on? They have an eye on election coming

-D'Arcy's Week Ahead

-Gordon Brown need year's delay and citizen assemblies

-Change UK/TIG aiming to take part in European elections if UK ends up remaining in that as they feel it will be a weathervane for mood of country, Heidi Allen is their interim leader

====

-Adler EU preparing for no deal

-Kuessenberg May fights on

-Freedland the blame game including how it isn't the fault of the side he supports

-Forsyth (sun) Tory dilemmas and thinks election is coming

-Andrew Grimson proud of how Commons is conducting itself

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm

-Sunday Telegraph does not want election as they fear Tories will be thrashed, papers on election (and cabinet splits on this) or Tory leadership campaigns, Sun accuses ERG hold outs of playing Russian roulette with country's future.

-Brandon Lewis warns government does not back any of the soft Brexit options from last indicative votes, Labour says their plan will include customs union and believes from talks with EU officials it would be welcomed, Leadsom says government will keep trying to break deadlock. Watson Labour's plan can unite, Labour should prepare for referendum and European elections

-Mail on Sunday poll giving Labour 5 point lead getting a lot of attention

-Grieve's constituency carefully handling how they sell his deselction as with a heavy heart that they did this but Tory HQ refusing to accept it and MP's not happy

-Javid promises more stop and search powers

-Clive Betts urges government to look at influence Help2Buy has had on housing market

-News channels/shows and BBC Parliament getting increased numbers this year

====

-Gislea Stewart says Vote Leave was outspent by Electoral Commission and appeals are expensive, refuses to apologize for the overspend (Marr failed to bring up the life they destroyed when they outed and sacked a whistleblower) and makes same old accusations against the authorities and how they are the victims

-Bridgen says no deal best option, Morgan suggests national unity government, Greg Hands custom union would be disaster for foreign policy influence, Sir Duncan fears election will only make things worse.

====

-Rentoul we may be stuck in EU and that will change dynamics

-Rawnsley says May has played her cards badly and has major faults but is not solely to blame for crises

-Dan White says no disability minister sends wrong signal

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:32 pm

-Parliament backs further indicative votes on Wednesday by 45 (322 vs 277), Bercow whittles votes down to four choices: custom's union, Common Market 2.0/Norway, referendum to confirm deal, revoke article 50.

-Julian Smith says cabinet should have warned that results meant soft Brexit after election and slams poor cabinet discipline, says ministers have actively sought to undermine May at cabinet

-Gauke says no ideal solution and may have to accept if parliament demands softer Brexit, no deal would see direct rule of N.Ireland which would see them leave the UK, Junker warns patience is running out with UK, Sammy Wilson says DUP will not vote for May's deal eve if brought in 1,000 times. Watson feels Labour MP's will demand referendum on whatever deal is agreed and would be inconceivable for it not to be part of manifesto in snap election with the party now on election footing, Thornberry senses time is coming for another no confidence vote but isn't sure indicative votes will get majority. Grayling says next leader should be experienced Brexiteer and should delay new leader till election in three years time while being in customs union gives us less influence on trade policy then Lithuania, deputy chair Cleverly admits they are preparing for potential election, Truss warns customs union lacks Commons support.

German deputy foreign minister, Michael Roth say "Brexit is a big shitshow, I say that now very undiplomatically ...I don’t know if William Shakespeare could have come up with such a tragedy, but who will foot the bill?" and warns 90% of UK cabinet has “no idea how workers think, live, work and behave” and their silver spoon private school educated selves won't suffer from Brexit. TIG backing referendum indicative votes, Germany backs UK tourists having no visa and trying to ease ways British residents in Germany can claim residency rights, SNP would back Common Market 2.0 having abstained last time and Labour to formerly whip for it which puts that idea back in contention while DUP will abstain. Government funding expenses for preparations for European election

-Javid and May on knife crime

-Times says Grayling and Morduant threatening to resign if soft Brexit, papers focusing on lack of cabinet unity and knife crime

-McDonnell considering using post office as bank branches and would stop sale of RBS

-Council Tax to rise by 4.7% in April

-Climate change protestors do naked protest in public gallery during Brexit debate, MP's have fun with jokes about it

-Grieve says he uses government's own figures to explain why he is against hard Brexit yet Tory activists say those are lies

====

-Sir Major calls for government of national unity and election is last thing we need right now but may be needed later, Ellwood would support customs union if May's deal fails, Margot James feels May deal chances are receding. Baker says soft Brexit would break manifesto and shatter Tory party, lists compromises ERG have made, Drax apologises to Commons for backing May's deal. Greg Hands sets out why customs union would be a bad idea all round as well as on trade

-Boris casually mentions he is a one nation Tory in his telegraph article.

-James Forsyth makes better case for Vote Leave's dropping appeal then any of the Vote Leave figures so far

-Baker coming across more and more strident of late, not sure his heavily hinted he would vote down government in confidence motion will win him popularity. Neither will Blunt saying same thing.

====

-Charles Grant warns EU is fed up

-Michael Ashcroft researches what kind of new party people want

-Behr rise of no dealers is causing problems

-Professor Alan Johnson on anti-Semitism

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:50 am

In what I can only hope was a belated April Fool's prank, at around 10pm MP's voted for nothing for a second time. Last time, the blame May didn't stop but maybe this second time, press and MP's will get a sense of perspective? Even Downing Street was expecting Westminster to be able to find at least one majority option, nope Westminster is too divided even when opposing parties whip.

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm

-MP's vote down all four options because unicorns aren't fancy enough for UK. Customs Union lost by 3 273-276 (fury among Labour MP's at 33 Labour "People Voters" who abstained, I think the ten who voted against were expected, People's Vote figures blame the other Labour MP's for failure to agree to add referendum to customs union), Common Market lost by 21 (261-282), referendum by 12 (280-292) ad revoking article 50 by 101 (191-292). Corbyn says May deal got three chances so parliament should get third chance with indicative votes, Blackford says Scotland's MP's voted and their views were ignored so Scotland will become independent, Nick Boles resigns Tory whip due to MP's failure to compromise (only 33 Tories voted for his idea, 228 opposed) and he felt his Norway idea was such a compromise people could get behind (one MP heard pleading for him not to go, opposition applauded him). Verhofstadt warns no deal is nearly inevitable with Wednesday Commons last chance, referendum MP's still fighting, nationalist parties slamming Labour for not backing revoking article 50

-Ellwood had expected MP's to gather around customs union, Zahwai was expecting winner vs May deal, DUP abstained on all 4 as they none of them safeguard union or deliver proper Brexit, Ruane voted for all four. Heappey deserves credit for a sense of humour "Not fan of these indicative votes but if we must do them, we should embrace showbiz opportunity. Four amendment proposers should stand in spotlights, rest of chamber darkened. Then with suspense filled music playing, Ant & Dec should say who’s going home before announcing winner."

======

-Cabinet held for seven hours and phones kept locked away even after so May could deliver speech. May says she will hold hold more talks with Corbyn to try to find a way forward and if that fails, will give MP's a series of options to vote on and will promise to abide by their choice if Labour agrees to also promise to carry it out as well, will require delay till May22nd but detrimened to avoid MEP elections. After speech May says everyone should be patient as he doesn't know what will happen next, Sturgeon calls it can kicking, press split between radical change of entire strategy or same old, quickly emerges cabinet is very very split on this and have been very very quiet, Corbyn says happy to meet May

-Before the speech Hancock pleads "Now, please, can we all just vote for the deal and deliver Brexit", Sammy Wilson says EU are just as desperate for deal and May should negotiate hard. Italy PM Giuseppe Conte “If we compare the sphinx and Great Britain, the sphinx would look like an open book,”, Bank of England extends it's Brexit protections for finical services. Hunt says customs union not true Brexit, Hollyrood warned their Easter break could be cancelled if no deal on cards, Macron says extension can't be guaranteed and they can't avoid failure for UK, Vardaker says changes can be made if May comes forward with new plans but extension requires a clear plan. Blackford predicts long extension as EU is desperate to be given a chance to do that. Convney agrees with Barnier no deal becomes more likely by the day

-Barnier warns no deal more likely each day and extending deadline again would hurt EU, for him survival of EU more important then Brexit, there can't be an orderly withdrawal if all UK parliament can do is oppose things. Only way to avoid no deal is to vote for the only deal on offer, some Brexiteers trying to weaken EU and that Farage believes EU won't exist after Brexit, UK going through wider crises then Brexit and he sees signs of such crises in other places like France. No deal risks security partnership, Ireland and money owed would become talking point again if UK starts trade talks after no deal

-Papers looking to May showdown with cabinet and parliament failure

-Hinds to create register of those being homeschooled

-May warns increasing police powers alone is not enough to tackle knife crime

-Business Committee calls for accountancy giants to be broken up

- Sir Mark Sedwill letter to cabinet leaks: No-deal would result in a 10 per cent spike in food prices and the collapse of some businesses that trade with the EU, government would be under pressure to bail out companies, direct rule would have to be imposed on N.Ireland, recession would hit and pound decline would be worse then 2008, would hamper security services and risk the union.

-It would seem that instead of indicative votes on Wednesday, Letwin is going to throw backing behind Cooper's attempt to find ways to block no deal by demanding May bring forward extensions of article 50 but Letwin has warned it will be difficult to pass it (MP's may feel it is abuse of process as would require further amending business motion for third or fourth time and force government to do something it doesn't want to do and relies on Lords rushing it through their chamber on Thursday)

-Commons passes motion of contempt against Dominic Cummings

====

-Bridgen says he has no confidence in May but the only way she can save party is back no deal, Caroline Lucas say May deal would pass easily if subject to referendum, Ken Clarke says Parliament does not seem very good at politics as Remainers and Soft Brexiteers defeated themselves. Francois says Hammond is behind second referendum push and repeats Up Yours insults as he is so big and mature and did you know his father fought the Germans? Sir Grieve says it was always going to take several goes, Stephen Kinnock says vote failure was a step towards no deal, Baker demands May renegotiate deal and if they refuse then go for no deal.

Boris says election would just infuriate people and solve nothing, Lamb says Parliament and Lib Dems playing with fire by refusing to compromise and he is considering resigning the whip as Lib Dems becoming the remain version of ERG. Hague warns party is in worst state then the 97 disaster he inherited and if Brexit doesn't happen now then it won't happen, Umunna predicts long delay and justifies new party, Green says EU might accept some form of Malthouse to help get around backstop problem. Burt says May move is crossing her redline at personal cost due to national interest, Bridgen says putting Brexit in the hands of Corbyn will lessen her standing within party

-Boles says May has mismanaged Brexit at every stage by not going beyond the party, Tories torn between cowardly Remainers and dogma by Brexiteers, some government ministers had promised to back his plan, party could be out of power for a decade, cabinet has been cowardly and selfish, Remainers have been too slow and should have followed Soubry's early plans. Welcomes May's speech, late but very welcome move

-Rees-Mogg getting flack for approving of a anti-EU speech by Alternative for Germany (AfD) party co-leader Alice Weidel, says he doesn't think it means he is supporting the AfD

-Davis predicts a soft Brexit would see 20 Tory MP's vote against May in confidence vote

====

-Dawn Foster Newport West by-election

-Fiona O'Farrell feels Labour MP's (doesn't mention Corbyn) ignoring Labour conference Brexit instructions

-Kettle on May's rivals fail to show they are less of a shambles after yesterday

-Adler EU in disbelief and likely to be extension if we agree to MEP elections

-James Frayne warns public attitudes do not favour Tories\

-Rentoul warns Boles going alarming for Tories

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:55 pm

-On Benn's amendment to Cooper's bill saying Monday should be set aside for indicative votes is a tie at 310 vs 310, Bercow casts first Speaker casting vote in 26 years to block the change, the main business motion for Cooper's bill passed 312 vs 311 majority of one, the bill to get an extension passes by 5 315-310 but more stages of votes and currently chaos in Commons as paperwork goes awry.

-ERG slam Cooper's rushed bill and do not like May's new strategy, believed 14 of cabinet pushed for no deal and 10 for long extension but was a 17-4 vote in favour of May's new plan (Williamson, Truss. Grayling and Mordaunt against), Corbyn (unsurprisingly) agreed to meet May (brings chief whip Brown, sir Stramer and Long-Bailey) and will have no red lines though warns he could use confidence vote+avoiding no deal rather then MEP election is priority. Verhofdstat "Good that PM @theresa_may is looking for a cross-party compromise. Better late than never.". DUP pointed about May's plan ""It remains to be seen if sub-contracting out the future of Brexit to Jeremy Corbyn, someone whom the Conservatives have demonised for four years, will end happily.", Sturgeon asks where the compromise is from May and need for new election, long extension and referendum, Conveny says they won't allow checks on Irish goods in EU ports as a backstop solution and Ireland will back sort extension.

May to meet Sturgeon (hilariously Blackford then tried to claim May is refusing to meet SNP) and Drakeford. Junker says next Friday is deadline and if deal isn't passed then it is no deal (which he sees as very likely) or long extension and as soon as deal is passed they can start trade talks, no such thing as managed no deal. Opposition parties other then Labour combine to call for second referendum, May and Corbyn talks seem to have gone well with both sides sending negotiation teams now to thrash things out.Carney says no deal now default option and would be an accidental, disorderly event that would create havoc at ports

CBI on May's speech “Welcome steps must be breakthrough not false dawn. Business confidence slumping, growth stalled and UK reputation in tatters.Tories must compromise on red lines and Labour come to table in good faith. No excuses, no time wasting, no party." Cooper welcomes May move and says parliament has been trying in a few days of finding a compromise when May should have allowed them years to do it, Woodcock condemns MP's handling of Brexit and backs referendum, Zahwai says he warned ERG this was going to happen if they didn't compromise. Dorries says ERG, hardline Remainers and Labour to blame for failing to get through May in second time of asking

=====

-Barclay says Commons numbers and their decisions means only way to get Brexit "remorseless logic" through is soft Brexit, not ruling out customs union or second referendum from Corbyn talks but highly undesirable, they want to be out by 22nd May, election would likely require MEP elections as well, EU might reject extension, dangers of backstop were overstated.

-Lots of praise for education minister Anne Milton as they try to help her get more money for further education colleges from Hammond

-Whip and Wales Minister Nigel Adams resigns over May going to "Marxist" Corbyn, feels it is a grave error that will lead to customs union. Plenty of ERG feel like this and use word Marxist but they aren't considering why May has done this, I know taking responsibility for the consequences of your decisions is unpopular on both sides but they should realize their own actions in last three years have had consequences. The blame is on them. ERG figures went for May at PMQ's over this new plan

-Papers on May's decision, Telegraph feels she went against cabinet (Claire Perry says that is outright false and someone has lied to the paper, 4 rather then 14 outright opposed) and few of the papers think talks will work+suspect there is a trap, Times urges people to join political parties to steer them to sensible ground

-Merriman seeking counselling due to abuse he is getting and stress seeing him lose weight

-Collins says tech firms move on privacy is superficial for PR reasons and lack of action is unacceptable, Culture Committee will set up sub-committee inquiry into data with Collins at it's head

-Video emerges of British army in Kabul using Corbyn's picture as target practise. Utterly unacceptable and dangerous

-National Audit Office and Public Accounts Committee concerned at MOD failure to properly dispose of old nuclear submarines

-Transport Committee looking at pavement parking

-Brexit Minister Chris Heaton-Harris resigns, a noted Brexiteer he feels it has been delayed too long and with May turning against no deal, there is no need for his post in charge of no deal planning, argues civil service hid how well prepared we are for no deal from May.

-Communities Committee says councils need to know what will replace EU funding for the poorer regions now

====

-Kuessenberg May chose delivering Brexit over party

-Goodman on May's change of direction

-Hinsliff reasons for optimism

-Behr UK constantly a step behind a puzzled and alarmed EU

-Penny Andrews on abuse is damaging to MP's mental health and to the country

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs