UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm

-Labour press release calls Long-Bailey the shadow Brexit secretary. Probably human error rather then the most secret reshuffle of all time

-Express and Mirror not happy at MP payrise, a sense among Westminster that Labour is partly doing second referendum as 1) Corbyn can come up with ways to go "we aren't there yet, plan b first" and 2) it won't pass the Commons

-Umunna becomes TIG spokesperson, Heidi Allen gets welfare , social care and business, Berger gets home affairs, health, and culture, Coffey gets education, Gapes gets foreign affairs and defence (assisted by Soubry on the latter), Chris Leslie, Treasury and trade, Joan Ryan gets Dfid international development and handling Commons business, Shuker effectivly whip, Angela Smith gets a lot: transport, local government, and Dfid, Soubry gets Brexit and justice.

-Ireland looking for more vets due to Brexit, factories have done a record amount of stockpiling apparently, government pays up £33 million to Eurotunnel over how we handled no deal preparation contracts with Grayling given a vote of confidence again. US declares they want removal of any effort to stop US produce being sold in UK which goes against what has been promised by UK (I wonder who has the whip hand in the talks...) which is 1) predictable, 2) caused alarm, Barnier warns there has been no progress

-National Audit Office says probation reform mistakes have cost public £500 million

=====

-Lammy accuses Comic relief of perpetuating the white saviour stereotype with one film, Comic Relief say they have tried to get Lammy to do such videos (he admits they have talked twice but doesn't want to be part of their PR machine)

-Sherman vows for Lent to be nicer to the Brexit team, Bone says ERG aren't splitting on backstop but Villiers admits there is a wide range of views on subject, Raab says strongly against delaying Brexit and talks of article 50 extension send wrong message to Brussels, accuses EU of being dishonourable and trying to bully (by moving Calais and Dover close together?) over N.Ireland so UK needs to stand up to show mettle.

-Creagh teases as Eustice resigns amidst climate change debate

-Barron questions why parliament staff get lesser rise of 1.5%

====

-Bush says Labour change won't led to second referendum

-Anthony Barnett calls for remainers to change leadership before referendum

-Steve Davies TIG is start of something

- Emilio Casalicchio looks ahead to Newport West by-election

-Owen Jones says no easy Brexit option for Labour

-Mark Steel hammers all sides of the anti-Semitism row

-Alan Beattie has a glance at US trade goals
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:31 pm

-Papers lambasting Grayling

-Ellwood feels parliament won't allow no deal and could force a softer deal, Spain approves measures to ensure UK citizens can live there as now if no deal, Costa writes to EU about citizen rights

-D'Arcy Week Ahead

-General secretary Jennie Formby says Watson asking for anti-Semitism complaints to be forwarded to him is completely unacceptable and it pollutes the process, Watson says delays and lack of clarity had caused a loss of trust thus his request. Labour Hackney North (alleged Abbott was present and said nothing, I suspect there will be a lot of pressure for answers on that one) and Sheffield Hallam (who also call for Williamson to be unsuspended) condemn MP's for complaining about anti-Semitism so there should be deselections and calling the issue slander, Creasy has asked for Labour to investigate those two local parties.

-MP's pushing for bigger payrise to staff

===

-John Pienaar Grayling's record
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:45 pm

-Observer claiming it has letters showing Labour high command oppose suspensions of those accused of anti-Semitism, Labour have denied this, Sunday Times claims ERG is offering terms to May.

-Sir Brady optimistic that something can be found on backstop, Blair says EU will only extend if there is a plan n which way UK will go, Halfson (sun) will vote for May deal

-Cox's attempted changes being nicknamed Cox codpiece as they wait to see what he manages to get

-Reeves concerned at state of car industry

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 pm

-Government to tighten up rules on gagging clauses

-A 1.6 billion for poor areas to be given a a "Brexit fund" with suspicions this is attempting to woo Labour MP's to back deal (Brokenshire says not connected to what people vote when May's deal comes before parliament) . Then turns out that is over seven years and several arguing far less then Brexit is costing those areas and less then local fuding cuts.

-Telegraph saying Cox is no longer seeking unilateral withdrawal or timelimit on backstop, Baker warns ERG would not accept this and Cox is denying it. New York Times "Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article misstated the amount that a Labour Party’s report claimed Chris Grayling misadventures had cost British taxpayers. It is 2.7 billion pounds, not 2.7 million."

-Dr Fox welcomes ERG's offer of terms as an attempt to compromise and some countries waiting to see if there will be Brexit deal before they sign trade deals (he argues no deal would make them keener), McDonnell says Labour forced into second referendum by May's failure while he and Long-Bailey hint there could be leniency in whipping on that

-Javid hosts summit with police chiefs over knife crime which the press are demanding action on, he also wants to look at making violent crime a statuary public health issue (Mayor Khan among those that back the idea, problem is Hancock dismissed it quite strongly)

-McDonnell says Labour clearly has a problem with anti-Semitism but tiny numbers, Watson has every right to unite Labour groups but is wrong in his handling of anti-Semitism, Joan Ryan says anti-Semitism can't be driven out of Labour by current leadership as last few years have shown. Lord Falconer looking to report in months on if the party is institutionally anti-Semitic (wouldn't such investigations be best done by a non-Labour figure?) but warns Jewish community have no faith in Labour leadership and people feel punishment is based on who you know.

-Someone arrested for egging Corbyn. I do hate egging, not nice for anyone and a waste of food, Jess Philips condemns it as an act of violence while Corbyn avoids mentioning it

-Rayner praises Blair's interview, the trolling from her own side (warcrimes, Tory enabler, TIG donator, blowing up Blair's..., moron) is such that she warns driving people like her away prevents Labour getting power, Nandy says she has been getting such abuse all week. #kindergentlerpoltics

-May tweets about Salisbury, using the picture of Bath

-Government pulls finical services bill as facing defeat on overseas territories tax regulation, Berow not pleased at late stage withdrawal.

-Grayling benched for Eurotunnels questions, Hancock answering urgent questioned instead (technically since it involves transporting medicines, it counts as his responsibility but this is blatantly a transport question and a huge signal at lack of confidence in Grayling to handle the urgent question)

====

-Flint says if given choice between improved deal or no deal then she will consider deal and thinks 60-70 Labour MP's would vote against referendum so asks for free vote

-Caroline Lucas Commons needs to take climate charge more seriously

-Layla Moran welcomes sex-ed changes

-Blair says he won't leave Labour but he has sympathy with the break-away, praises Watson's leadership in recent weeks, Lord Falconer says some Lords are considering leaving Labour but he is too old for it

=====

-Mathew Norman accuses Watson of a coup

-David Osland says Corbynites like him need to reject conspiracy theories and embrace intellectualism

-Martin Howe would rather long extension then May's deal

-Christopher Shoop-Worrall hostility to mainstream media not a good Labour tradition

-Nicole Sykes on business concerns at lack of deal

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:38 pm

-President Macron uses Brexit (while slamming Brexiteers) to call for Eu reform, Hunt doesn't rule out free vote on no deal or deny Cox has had to drop demands but positive they will get changes, does not want no deal, denies Brexiteers lied in referendum. Tusk says there were outside meddlers in referendum, Barclay writes to Juncker asking if they can implement citizens right agreement even if no deal (EU has already said no but Barclay promised Commons), Bank of England warns EU isn't as ready for no deal as it should be. Carney warns Brexit could either boost or harm the world economy depending what happens next and preparations should take some edge off the material shock of no deal

-Papers demanding government to do more on knife crime like bring back stop and search, May's comments about it not being due to police number cuts did not go down well

-Disabled pensioners will no longer face repeat assessments to continue receiving benefits

-Accusations Downing Street have barred Rudd from media interviews and are spreading rumours against her, over Brexit and her universal credit actions

-Car sales rise for five time in five months but biggest job cuts in country for six years

-Hollyrood and Welsh Assembly to do identical motions for first time, condemns May's plan and demands article 50 extension.

-Grayling rules out resigning, admits his probation reforms haven't gone as well as he would have wanted though argues at least there is more support for those leaving prison then before he came in, blames Health department for settling Eurotunnel case. Is also most unpopular on ConHome by a wide margin (-60, nearest rival Hammond on 49.3% as most hated Remainer, Leadsom tops at 54.6%)

-Vauxhall says they won't invest here till Brexit is sorted out, BMW warns it may move it's plants out if no deal

-Fiona Onasanya has lost appeal so recall process is starting. If that fails then something is wrong

-Baroness Warsi says Tories have deep rooted problems with Islamphobia and calls for an inquiry after turned out Tories were going to stand someone for council despite past suspensions for anti-Islam comments, then later 14 members suspended for Islamophobic posts. There is a quietly growing sense Tories have got lucky with Labour having their own problems.

-Leaked emails from Corbyn HQ shows his team were consulted on the anti-Semitic mural case (they opposed suspension, Labour NEC says that had no influence on decisions made) Dame Hodge says Corbyn has either misled to been misled by his advisers on tackling anti-Semitism as she had been promised there were no such interventions

-Allegations Labour seeking to oust Berger from Health Committee. If true I would suggest that is unwise (would also need Commons approval), I understand normal process, she has one of Labour's assigned spots but given reasons she left party, the ill-will over Corbyn's failure to even contact to ask how she was in 17 months of death threats and abuse and that she is on maternity leave, it would look crass.

- Robert Goodwill returns from backbenchers, the former children's minister goes to Defra to fill the Eustice shaped hole. A former farmer with a degree in the subject so would seem suited to the job and an experienced minister

====

-Dan Jarvis regional transport

-Coaker says knife crime should be treated with same emergency as terrorism

-Channel 5's Andy Bell (reflecting a picture) "On the left Conservatives and Islamophobia on the right Labour and antisemitism - so that’s where we are #2019"

-Creasy reads list of those stabbed to death in London this year

-Jess Philips suggests since her school can't afford to avoid closing early on Friday, May should pick her son up.

=====

-Toynbee on Lisbon Treaty fake news being spread around

-Hinsliff warns May's response on knife crime is tone deaf

-Jennifer Williams on Manchester Paradox

-Rob Ford says May's chase UKIP strategy long term disaster for Tories

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm

This is absolutely appalling, first Boris and now Theresa are saying they should bring in legislation to stop murdering soldiers facing justice.

So let me get this straight, the Provisional IRA murder soldiers and its "Crime is Crime is Crime" but British Soldiers get special treatment?

So let me get this straight, Blair sent out letters to Republicans on the run to say that there is currently no evidence to prosecute them with so they are not currently being hunted and the whole world has a meltdown despite them not guaranteeing that evidence discovered in the future won't lead to prosecution.

Now, 1 Para group was found by the Saville enquiry that they shot and killed unarmed fleeing civilians which is murder and no naturally the PSNI want to prosecute these illegal killings and now the goal posts have been moved and those in uniform its fine?

For it keep being brought up that Brexit isn't destabilising NI, when it will, now they don't want equal justice? This is reprehensible we in NI are sick of being forgotten.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:26 pm

SunXia wrote:This is absolutely appalling, first Boris and now Theresa are saying they should bring in legislation to stop murdering soldiers facing justice.

So let me get this straight, the Provisional IRA murder soldiers and its "Crime is Crime is Crime" but British Soldiers get special treatment?

So let me get this straight, Blair sent out letters to Republicans on the run to say that there is currently no evidence to prosecute them with so they are not currently being hunted and the whole world has a meltdown despite them not guaranteeing that evidence discovered in the future won't lead to prosecution.

Now, 1 Para group was found by the Saville enquiry that they shot and killed unarmed fleeing civilians which is murder and no naturally the PSNI want to prosecute these illegal killings and now the goal posts have been moved and those in uniform its fine?

For it keep being brought up that Brexit isn't destabilising NI, when it will, now they don't want equal justice? This is reprehensible we in NI are sick of being forgotten.

This has been bubbling along awhile though had done under radar in here in recent months. There is a strain Westminster/Fleet street that seems to oppose all lawsuits or investigations into armed forces, with Ireland they argue 1) long long time ago, 2) they use those Blair letters and say other side aren't prosecuted generally, they are being picked on. Being seen as not supported armed forces is not one political leaders want, or the unpatriotic card.

I suspect loud mouth Williamson in defence and an ineffectual Bradley (even before today's comments "Over 90% of the killings during the troubles were at the hands of terrorists. Every single one of those was a crime. The under 10% that were at the hands of the military and police were not crimes; they were people acting under orders and instructions, fulfilling their duties in a dignified and appropriate way." that she has sorted of "clarified") in N.Ireland office isn't helping

=====

-Hammond says he thinks no deal is unlikely , government promising MP's a vote on any changes to workers rights after Brexit but TUC feels that is flimsy protection, Northern Ireland's chief civil servant David Stirling warns N.Ireland parties that no deal Brexit would be a problem and hints at hard border, Varadkar says they have no plans for infrastructure on border but no deal would lead to difficult conversations. Hollyrood and Welsh Assembly pass joint motion on Brexit, OECD warns no deal could plunge us into recession, strong sense Cox talks with EU have not gone well, DUP rule out accepting arbitration process on backstop issues. Fox refuses to rule out backing no deal, Corbyn met Norway+ Tory MP's

-Javid denies he likes to be called "The Saj", is saying government needs to listen to police calls for more resources

-Papers concentrate on the possible IRA attack or violent crime

-TIG in talks with Electoral Commission about becoming proper party

-Muslim Council of Britain says level of prejudice within Tory part is "astonishing" and claims should be independently investigated rather then usual denials and obsfication. I am hearing too many times from Tories about "we appointed Javid" (or Muslim minister of choice) as proof they can't be Islamophobic, would think people would have learnt that isn't an answer

-More emails of Corbyn staff successfully urging leniency on anti-Semitism cases leaking to Times

-Shadow police minister Louise Haigh signs letter attacking May for her comment about police numbers not having direct correlation to crime, journalists now pointing to her Haigh saying the exact same a year ago on Today program

-Recall petition for Fiona Onasanya starting on 19th, will be ten places to sign in Peterborough

-MP's unhappy government won't reveal tariff plan if no deal till after vote on deal

-Convney to meet Bradley over her comments

====

-Sir Leigh says Grayling had probably argued for no deal prep to start earlier but cabinet refused and left till it had to be rushed

-Jim Fitzpatrick inclined to vote for May's deal, McVey says May's deal or delay would shatter trust in politics, Sammy Wilson says he is puzzled by N.Ireland's support of May's deal and says no deal would be better and accuses Stirling of scaremongering.

-Momentum given record fine of non-party campaigner of £16,700 due to repeated breaches of electoral law on spending and records

====

-Andrew Gray Macron did not help Remainers

-Freedland on Tories and Islamphobia

-Alex Massie on Glasgow tough love on knife crime

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:16 pm

-Lords defeat government on trade bill twice: parliamentary scrutiny on trade by 47, 215 votes to 168 and seek to stay in Customs Union by 66 207 votes to 141

-Rudd in trying to support Abbott gets it horribly wrong "It definitely is worse if you’re a woman, and it’s worst of all if you’re a coloured woman. I know that Diane Abbott gets a huge amount of abuse, and I think that’s something we need to continue to call out.", she has quickly apologized for her inappropriate language and calls herself mortified. Abbott remarks "The term "coloured", is an outdated, offensive and revealing choice of words.". No push for her to resign from anyone, I think Rudd being seen as a liberal figure may be helping her and the context in which it was said will also sees punches pulled but this will scar Rudd's reputation (Abbott's line about revealing will stick), she should know better then this

-Jewish Labour Movement vote to stay affiliated to Labour but have warned Labour will only have a month to address their concerns, will a big boost to Corbyn who could have done without the headlines if their split but they warn they are only doing this as they choose to stay and fight rather then changed their mind on Corbyn.Equality and Human Rights Commission investigating Labour over anti-Semitism which is certainly a headline Corbyn wouldn't have wanted and may be grateful for Rudd

-Government setting up three expert panels to advise on trade and is looking at what to do about cyber-flashing

-Penrose says N.Ireland civil service comments on Brexit will cause eyebrows to raise about something so political being said, Dr Fox jokes he has better chance of predicting lottery numbers then predicting how Commons will vote on Brexit, Corbyn writes about Brexit, Hammond warns ERG no deal would be rejected by Commons which might then go for Labour's custom union idea, the language out of Brussels about recent talks is... not positive. Cox says talks will soon resume and his job is It has come to be called “Cox’s codpiece”. What I am concerned to ensure that is what is inside the codpiece is in full working order.” (Alistair Stewart of ITV remarks "Traditionally, and especially in Tudor times, part of the function of the codpiece was to exaggerate the size of the contents") will publish legal information on any new backstop arrangements

-Papers on knife crime, Brexit and Javid vs May on police funding, is a sense unless Cox can get something then May will lose heavily on Tuesday

-Baroness Warsi accuses Javid of dog-whistle politics

-SDLP and Labour call for Bradley to resign over her comments yesterday, Bradley has issued a grovelling apology for deeply insensitive comments but she is under a lot of pressure, she is not viewed at all in N.Ireland even before these comments from what I gather. May is going to be reluctant to get rid of a loyal ally but I think she really should

-High Court rules government advice on fracking is unlawful as not taking into account latest science information

-Francois accuses Cox's PPS Alex Burghart, saying when he asked question Burghart came to tell him it was "indecent", Bercow was not sympathetic

-Rudd reads out abuse she gets (nasty language despite Rudd's humour) but will be overlooked

-Brexit department's chief civil servant Philip Rycroft is retiring and will be replaced by Defra's Clare Moriarty

-Labour asks economic historian Robert Skidelsky to carry out a review if there is a case for shorter working week.

-SNP deputy leader Keith Brown urges Sturgeon to go for referendum even if she lacks legal power to do so, Sturgeon has ruled that out.

-Hunt warns Salmond going on RT is damaging SNP

-Jess Philips continues her important tradition of reading out the list of females killed in domestic violence since last woman's day

-Sturgeon criticized by statistic authorities for using unpublished hospital data to defend record on waiting times during First Minster's Questions, the First Minister doesn't seem sorry

=====

-Kuessenberg knife crime reaction is a familiar pattern and uncertain spending

-Emilio Casalicchio on Young Labour's toxic splits

-Mark Steel Windrush

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 pm

-Hammond hammered for suggesting police need to reprotaise resources rather then ask for more money, doubt his mentioning money for no deal prep could be spent on helping on knife crime will go down well either

-Papers on knife crime, Brexit, investigation into Labour, Times say Remain cabinet members want indicative votes on Brexit

-May says EU has a choice to make, a move now could sway MP's to vote for deal (being seen as desperate), then in speech warns if Brexit is delayed it may never leave or may leave without protections she got. Dr Fox fears Remainers will use any delay to stop Brexit, Hunt warns relations will be damaged for years if EU doesn't compromise, Corbyn saying Labour haven't backed away from second referendum. Gordon Brown calls for article 50 to be extended a year, Rees-Mogg urges MP's to hold their nerve and argues against deselection of Remainer MP's, IDS suspects delay is a trick, George Eustice says Brexit Statuary Instruments will not all pass in time... government has admitted this.

Brexit Committee warns number 10 and Brexit department created conflicting policies which undermined talks, Barnier avoids blame game (though EU figures furious with British government trying to blame EU) and says they have compromised a lot already but willing to give uniltieral exit to customs union if other parts of backstop remain. Government to launch advertising campaign to explain to EU citizens their situation

-Corbyn says the real divide is poverty and class, greatest challenge is climate change with need for zero emissions by 2050 at latest, party should focus on attacking Tories rather himself, pledges to eradicate anti-Semitism from party

-Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe given diplomatic protection

-Leadsom referring to Naz Shah to Foreign Office when asked about Islamphobia has raised eyebrows, Leadsom's office says question was misheard and thought question was about international definition , Shah has demanded an apology.

-Shadow disability minister Marsha De Cordova says she had to fight Commons authorities to get the help needed with her disability which makes it harder to do her job (Commons denies this)

-Hunt says they would refuse permission for second Scottish referendum

-I don't think Bradley's latest attempts to apologize have worked...

-Reeves on woman in politics life has got better but a lot of problems still

-Press angry at May's poor and dodging performance at Q&A after speech and only answering one question from female journalist on international woman's day

-Lord Falconer says he will take step back from a role investing anti-Semitism if Human Rights Commission launch full investigation

====

-Kuessenberg chaos and confusion

-Caroline Elsom how government can make no deal work, ditto Robert Coville

-Una Mullally warns resentment towards Britain is growing in Ireland

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby SunXia » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:52 am

But the comfort letters were declared non-biding legally because they merely stated that there was not an active investigation on the people On The Run at the time. The letters were not an amnesty, nobody got amnesty there was just an interpretation of the letters. The man those letter specifically referenced is currently being extradited on a European Arrest warrant to the UK for prosecution again.

Sick and tired of setting up goals posts that nobody should have amnesty because, at the time, Bloody Sunday was declared justifiable by Widgery. None but one of those killed were armed and there is even a dispute on that because residents tried to bring him to the hospital and searched his pockets for identification and found no nail bombs but were stopped by the Army on the way and they took the dying dude away and suddenly there WAS nail bombs on him.

Now that justice is finally being considered for these people its suddenly a "witch hunt" despite years of lies about those they murdered.

The inquest into the Ballymurphy Massacre is also going on at the moment, perpetrated by the same unit of soldiers that were involved in Bloody Sunday, and the families have been asking for meetings with Bradley. After her disrespectful attitude, no doubt encouraged by such ethnic cleansing supporters like Sammy Wilson, has cost her that possible influence that she could have had.

She didn't have a lot of support in Northern Ireland for not cutting MLA pay completely, since they aren't taking seats in the Assembly and for not even looking into NI politics to see the divisions. Now this, the Ballymurphy families have rejected her offer for a meeting and so they should. She is not up to the job and has just taken a dump on half the population here.

I remember "Crime is Crime is Crime" from history not "Crime is Crime is Crime, unless its a British soldier murdering an Irish civilian fleeing for their lives or on the ground wounded and executing them".
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs