UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:45 pm

-May asks public to unite on Brexit deal so they can tackle domestic issues

-Cabinet to meet on 2nd January while emergency session on drone security today

-Labour calls for inquiry into Gatwick drone farce and accuses government of failing to act on warnings

-Express claiming that local Tory parties are starting to put pressure on MP's to get behind May with two ERG members threatened with deselection if they don't back May's deal

-The traditional Stock-market "Santa Rally" hasn't happened

-Ellwood says no deal over May's deal is foolish and no deal is not an option

====

-Zoe Williams urges Labour to back Remain

-Lewis Goodall warns liberalism needs a new torch-bearer with the death of it's great champion Lord Ashdown

-Matthew Norman Corbyn's Brexit declaration may spark Lib Dem comeback

-Quentin Letts pays tribute to Lord Ashdown
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:48 pm

-Ben Wallace promises drone detection systems are being deployed through UK

-May's Christmas message about armed forces and Salisbury, Corbyn about Samaritans

-Khan calls for release of Zaghari-Ratcliffe

-I wonder if Mail regrets their moron headline given police have cleared the couple concerned
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:37 pm

-Queen's Speech [spoiler]Like retail, very back to safe reassuring tradition in terms of clothing, tree and setting. Had usual themes of anniversary, family (weddings) and Commonwealth but what surprised press was the plea for unity and clear concerns at the division, was very much seen as a Brexit message to idealogs in both camps [/spoiler]

-Hunt orders review, by Bishop of Truro, into persecuted Christians around world and how much help they get from UK

-Labour point out Tories complained of trains being at a standstill on Boxing Day when in opposition yet have done nothing about it

-Labour promises a tightening of fox-hunting laws to bring it up to other wildlife crimes

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:04 pm

-Papers furious as NHS carparking charges rise, concern at boxing day retail figures and scale of personal debt, not happy with Public Health England idea for cap on the number of calories in restaurant meals and supermarket foods

-Gove plans to double plastic bag levy (Sun not happy, Mail is) as Hints plans to make schools plastic free in three years, asking parents not to wrap sandwiches in cling-film and asking headteachers to find sustainable alternatives to plastic straws, bottles and food packaging

-Williamson concerned at Huawei helping with 5G and warns full security review would be required

-Javid says failing to highlight the ethnicity of grooming gangs given oxygen to extremists and wonders if there are cultural reasons behind Pakistani grooming gangs

====

-Goodman warns Tory members are not backing May's deal

-Rentoul on what he learnt this year

-Quentin Letts (sun) ignore pessimists about no deal, UK will thrive and EU will suffer

-Kettle using Pankhurst's to show how our vies on history changes

-James Ball wants end to Westminster practise of lobby journalists

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:04 pm

-Daily Star saying government considering ending daylight savings time, Express saying EU is in terror of no deal and the finical black hole it leaves (this seems based on Gunther Oettinger saying they would have to plug the finical hole)

-Corbyn wants recall of parliament for Brexit vote (Downing Street says he is making silly demands), hint at no confidence vote after May loses Brexit vote, EU has long form of extending negotiations

-Home Affairs Select Committee to do emergency sessions and report on scale of migrants trying to cross English channel

-McDonnell says indicative votes merely delay Brexit issue further

-Trade Committee says MP's should have veto on any trade deal and suggests substantive debate+motion before negotiation start

-Met Commissioner Cressida Dick says security of public is at risk if no deal and is talking to counter parts for potential bilateral security arrangements

-HMV seems to be closing down

-Loughton says number of boats patrolling channel is derisory

===

-Mark Wallace another survey has Tory members not backing second referendum

-Katy Balls says she believed Brexit referendum would inspire people into being more politicly engaged but fears she was wrong

-Bobby McDonagh EU's role in Irish peace process and how that might help with Brexit

-Rabbil Sikdar slams all sides of immigration debate

-Labour NEC member Rachel Garnham wants internal policy reform

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:28 pm

-Treasury Select Committee members seem alarmed at HMV's collapse and feel Treasury isn't doing enough to help high street retailers

-Home Office declares amount of migrants crossing via Channel a major incident with Javid, while away on holiday, taking personal control of the matter but is rejecting calls for more naval presence and patrols. Noakes has been dispatched to Dover and to talk to local MP Elphicke who has been demanding a firmer response from UK and France

-John Redwood (thought he had been already, hard to argue given his long public service), Gary Streeter and Labour deputy whip Alan Campbell to be knighted

-£100million spent charting extra ferries for no deal supplies, most of it going to Dutch and French companies

-Home Office tweeting about need for EU migrants to apply to stay in UK, during Christmas period, has not gone down well.

-Hunt says May's deal can through parliament but some need reassurance on backstop like EU defining what they mean by temporary, on Yemen he says there is light at the end of the tunnel but they are still very much in the tunnel

-Collins satisfied with UK's handling of migrants but wonders how France lets the boats leave in first place

-Fiona Onasanya says she will remain as MP and says it has been a successful political year for her, her end of year article in local press fails to mention her conviction.

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm

-Some trying to suggest Redwood's knighthood is a bribe. Have they paid any attention to his career?

-Javid cuts short family holiday to South Africa after criticism of his response to migrant crises with Williamson offering armed forces support

-Papers fearful of the year ahead for the high street and retail giants

-Odd things foreign office got asked this year

-Dr Fox says if May's deal is voted down, he gives Brexit a 50-50 chance of actually happening and that would shatter trust between public and MP's

-Mims Davies wants people to take grandparents on holiday and employers to give more time off for looking after lonely relatives

-Mel Stride warns high street that Treasury can not be King Canute and seek to hold back tide of change

====

-Bob Seeley on China' use of cyber warfare and personal data

-Anne-Marie Trevelyan wants British police sent to France to seize people traffickers boats. I bet France would love that invasion of their sovereignty

====

-Anne McElvoy leadership contest to replace May underway

-Kevin McKenna feels public response to refugee crises is racist

-Bradley Hillier-Smith blame government hardline Calais approach for migrant crises (doesn't explain why settling in France isn't an option)

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:-Today is the anniversary of last time foreign army successfully invaded Britain. Not 1066

Oooh. I know I should know this, but who were the last people then?

Dong Zhou wrote:-I enjoyed the Mail's blunt headline about the drone people, I worry it might have been slightly irresponsible

What was the headline?

Dong Zhou wrote:-As always, I'm enjoying the festive period but the atmosphere in the town and elsewhere is...worrying. People aren't giving seasonal greetings even this close, there are lights out but fewer then before, what celebrating is going on feels subdued, it feels like people are hunkering down and barely going through the motions. Retail seems to be (as well as the usual "sneak in the price rises/shrinking the product while people aren't paying attention" which started about a week ago) responding, the Christmas adverts which have got better year on year have suddenly gone this year or being very restrained (Kevin the Carrot does have some funny spoofs and I like the BBC iplayer theme advert, that is about it), retail and consumer confidence figures are down, the kind of offers I'm seeing around here suggests even the usual bad times of overdoing the little treats isn't selling in way expected.

I do blame Brexit (of course I do, I know I know) for the wider public mood. The impact on the shops dealing with the issues won't help, while I doubt the public have any idea what is being said on the no deal notices or what the backstop is, they are feeling the drip drip effect. That something isn't quite right, the deal isn't done yet and time is running out, that their jobs might not be so secure, that their money isn't stretching as far and they aren't certain when things will get better and they aren't sure what is coming round the corner so everyone is hunkering down.

I'm also convinced that 2019 will see no deal, May's will be voted down and parliament will be in for a shock when an aghast EU says no, if I'm optimistic something emergency last deal patch will be added but it will be worse then May's deal. I don't think, bar day 1 celebrations on Brexit day, people are going to be feeling much better in year to come.

Wow, you’ve painted a bleak picture there. I can’t say that atmosphere has been my experience of the festive period but it doesn’t surprise me if others are feeling that way. I don’t know what a favourable outcome would be at this point.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:11 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Oooh. I know I should know this, but who were the last people then?

William of Orange and his Dutch army at the Glorious Revolution

What was the headline?

Involiving the Gatwick/drone issue, off the top of my head, "Are These The Morons That Ruined Christmas?". As it turned out, they weren't .

Dong Zhou wrote:Wow, you’ve painted a bleak picture there. I can’t say that atmosphere has been my experience of the festive period but it doesn’t surprise me if others are feeling that way. I don’t know what a favourable outcome would be at this point.

New Year mood today seems a bit brighter this evening, not entirely sure why. Glad your area has been more upbeat

======

-Javid says there are no easy answers to migrant crises with some things out of government's control but rivals are circling against him with Loughton saying more urgency is needed. Some suspicion Downing Street has been leaking and stirring against Javid

-Finical Time saying the international banks saying UK staff commuting to EU is not an option for more then a few months and will be expected to move (suggesting employees may have had rather unrealistic expectations), lot of press on various NHS issues (including people failing to take health check test for over 40's)

-MP's seeking a debate on how to hold social media platforms to account for hate speech

-Abbott accuses government of using migrant crises to whip up fear and strategy of deterring migrants has been flawed

-Corbyn calls for welcoming hand to migrants

-House of Lords EU Energy and Environment sub-committee concerned at least EU fishing quota's could hurt the UK fishing industry badly due to mixed fishing areas

- Juncker has urged the UK to "get your act together and then tell us what it is you want" and some parts of UK being unreasonable expecting EU to solve British Brexit problems, says majority of MP's seem to deeply distrust motives of EU and May

-Downing Street says May has talked to leaders during Christmas break but still work to do to get assurances

-2018 was the worst year of London stock market since the finical crash.

=====

-Jack Doyle on leadership bids

-d'Ancona bemoans "blitz spirit" talk of no deal

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 pm

-Javid seen as U-turning as he sends out more patrol boats and summon s ships from Med

-MOD accused of suppressing watchdog report that says barracks are in danger of a Grenfell

-May's New Year message is if they can agree a Brexit deal, the country can turn a corner and concentrate on major issues lie health, technical education and housing while putting division behind them. Corbyn says May can't be allowed to drive through a bad deal which lets down everybody and Labour would reopen talks, only Labour can unite the country with it's radical policies, Sir Cable says Brexit can be stopped and they must keep fighting to reverse a terrible mistake, Sturgeon seeks to reassure EU migrants they are welcome in Scotland.

-Ambassador Woody Johnson says quick trade deal won't be possible with May's deal, UK feels defeatist about Brexit and not seeing it's strengths for future, wants Trump visit in May. Happy New Year...

-Gove says Javid doing a great job and says lack of news is encouraging press wolf-pack to go for Javid

-Umunna on homelessness

====

-Tom Kibasi on Labour Brexit strategy (feel he is misreading public)

-Behr says Brexiteers will not be viewed in same light as US Founding Fathers

-Goodman on year ahead

-Leo McKinstry slams government for not taking harder line on migrant crises

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs