UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm

-International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance condemns changing their anti-Semitism definition

-Brandon Lewis, with May's backing, has asked Boris to apologize, Conservative Muslim Forum founder Lord Sheikh wants whip whipped. He hasn't apologizing and a sense he is playing to the grassroots while May must know removing whip would be a disaster. Jeremy Wright says Boris needs to choose his words more carefully, Bridgen says Boris was raising point in usual light-hearted way, Burt and Ellwood condemn Boris

-Sturgeon wants a plan B for Brexit with Chequers seemingly dead, May urges Sturgeon to stop sowing divisions on the matter

-Austin says probe against him is a farce and wants charges against him to be revealed, Lavery didn't raise complaint but Williamson and Corbyn (informally) did

-Zahwai says if private schools wish to avoid Corbyn abolishing them then they should give boarding places for those in care and join Boarding School Partnership

-Sterling continues to fall

=====

-Chi Onwurah in row with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley over her petitioning for an investigation

-Baroness Warsi on Tories harming Muslim Woman and why Boris comments matter

-Low by Alastair Campbell to attack Aaron Banks weight and moobs

-Bryant retweets someone wishing plotters luck in removing Corbyn

-Dame Hodge accuses party leadership of trying to purge it's critics and urges them to drop investigation against Austin

-Gerry Adams publishing cookery book

====

-Corbynite Matt Zarb-Cousin says they need to accept good faith criticism like Tom Watson's and not try to remove him

-Ayesha Hazarika accuses Boris, strongly, of using Muslim woman to pander his leadership to the far-right, Will Gore on Boris copying Trump

-Harriest Marsden warns Brexit could create a (further) social care crises and has ideas on how to address it

-Jon Craig on state of Brexit

-Suzanne Breen on why DUP leadership dare not act against Paisely
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 pm

-Ruth Davidson says woman wearing burkas should be defended like Christians wearing crucifix, Boris should apologize, he knew what he was doing given it was a column, making sweeping statements about what women should wear never ends well for women

-Complaint against Boris sent to Brandon Lewis, Tory party have launched a formal investigation.

-Brandon Lewis commits to half of next election candidates being female but won't go for all female shortlists, seen as a bid to move on from whipping row

-Boris allies asking why is Boris, bar Brexit, being slammed but Ken Clarke 013's comments of them being a peculiar costume is not

-USA hitting Russia with sanctions over Salisbury case

===

-Chris Stephens on tainted blood scandal

-Sir Grieve says he would leave Tories if Boris became leader, isn't fit and proper person to lead a party, didn't obey collective responsibility, sends wrong image of the party

-Lord Pickles says Boris careless use of language risks shutting down an important debate

-Ben Bradley says Boris was simply ensuring people would read his article

-Conor Burns accuses Boris critics of jumping on a bandwagon and that some condemning it haven't read the article

====

-Kettle not a fan of Boris, Alex Massie says people are overreacting Boris was just being an unthinking hack

-William Main argues 700,000 like him were disenfranchised for living abroad and denied right to vote on Brexit

-Mary Dejevsky says public split on Boris comments shows we need multi-parties rather then first past the post big 2

-Paul Goodman says Tory investigation into Boris will not end well
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 pm

-Express claiming EU will offer single market access without freedom of movement, would be a major major climbdown if true

-Lord Sheikh says he has received Islamophobic emails and calls after criticizing Boris

-Advisory Committee on Business Appointments says Boris did not observe three month waiting period before going to Telegraph and that Boris had failed to consult them

-Guinness World Records says N.Ireland can't Belgium's record for being without government in time of peace due to Westminster

-Emma's Diary fined £140,000 after accusations it illegally collected data and sold it on for use by Labour

-Some mocking of May's curtsey

-Quarter 2 growth up to 0.4% thanks to services and construction (manufacturing went into recession), trade deficit grew worse

-Hammond says Brexit uncertainty not helping economy, international tax treaties need changing to deal with online companies

-Labour unhappy at Mike Ashley owning House of Fraiser

====

-I'm not sure Tory HQ will appreciate Livingstone suggesting Boris be axed

-Andrew Mitchell says Boris has no need to apologize, his language had merely been colourful and this is an issue of free speech

-CBI wants immigration target scrapped after Brexit non-EU immigration system highly complex, expensive and time consuming so needs reform

-Bernard Jenkin accuses government+Whitehall and industry of feeding each other no deal gloom

-Leanne Wood feels bitter over missing out on all nuanced culture of Wales due her inability to speak Welsh and she felt ashamed when Welsh speaking friends would switch to English for her

-Spurs manager partly blames Brexit for his club being the first ever to not sign a player in summer transfer window

====

-Professor Curtice young vs old split on Brexit has got worse

-Reality Check on what councils have to provide

-Kenny MacAskill SNP need less marching, to be patient on independence, to do the hard work

-Sean O'Grady on Boris will be next PM
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:43 am

-Rees-Mogg says May is setting up a show trial of Boris due to personal rivalry while senior Tories envy Boris charisma, popularity and success (yes, I bet others wish they had got someone jailed in Iran), all this does is help Labour and stops Boris becoming leader which is something Thatcher never did to her rivals, can't see how Boris has breached party code

-Mail claiming they have photo's of him laying wreath at the graves of Palestine terrorists responsible for the Munich Olympic massacre

-Lots of press attention on the buy-out of House of Fraser and Hammond's Amazon tax

-Equality and Human Rights Commission condemn Boris comments as inflammatory and divisive, saying it inhibits genuine discussion about the issue

-May's team sounds out mailshot to Tory members trying to win backing for Chequers

-Frank Field wants Mike Ashley to keep House of Fraiser pension burden

====

-Jim Murphy pays for full length advert in Jewish Telegraph to condemn Corbyn failure on anti-Semitism, to apologize and accuses Corbyn's team of being "intellectually arrogant, emotionally inept and politically maladroit".

-Unison general secretary Dave Prentis and GMB's Tim Roache urges Corbyn to accept the full definition of anti-Semitism

-Hardline and controversial Gareth Bennet becomes UKIP leader in Wales, predecessor Caroline Jones says she has a lot of thinking to do and questions if there is a place for a woman in the party, Neil Hamilton has indicated his support for Bennett.

-Sinn Feinn MP Chris Hazzard accuses immigration minister Noakes of refusing to meet him when she was in N.Ireland, given it was in his constituency and she found time to meet a DUP MP I'm not buying Noakes claim of private visit

====

-Freedland accuses government of being weaker then Trump's on Russia

-Peter Saul talks to Tory activists about Chequers

-Chris Morris reality checks what going onto WTO trade terms would mean

-Marina Hyde on Boris comments
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:19 pm

-Sunday Times says Boris has 4 backers within cabinet on burka row

-Boris being linked to Steve Bannon

-Comres poll suggests 53% do not want Boris punished

-Ambassador Woody Johnson says we should side with US rather then EU on Iran

-Muslim Council of Britain says MP's backing Boris "shone a light on the underbelly of Islamophobia" within Tory party

-Telegraph gave up entire letters page to those backing Boris

====

-Sir Cable wants inquiry into pre-packs like Mike Ashley allegedly used to buy House of Fraser without getting pension liability

-Damian Green urges Boris not to go Trump route and curry favour with alt-right

-Bridgen says Boris backlash is nothing to do with Islamophobia but left and Tory leadership see Boris as a threat

====

-Anne McElvoy on Boris manoeuvres

-Rentoul expects political deadlock to remain after Brexit

-BBC Reality check on roaming charges after Brexit
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I have to say I think Corbyn's actions on anti-semitism have been pathetic. I still don't think he is anti-semetic himself but the way the party has chosen to investigate Dame Hodge yet ignore Williamson is beyond me. I don't think there is a way back for him on this issue now. McDonnell on the other hand has spoken decisively and strongly. I wonder if he is preparing the ground to step up when Corbyn is forced out.

I've not read Johnson's article but surely comparing a way of dress to a letterbox is fanning Islamophobic and is just as bad. The difference is May can't sack BJ, he has already resigned...
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I have to say I think Corbyn's actions on anti-semitism have been pathetic. I still don't think he is anti-semetic himself but the way the party has chosen to investigate Dame Hodge yet ignore Williamson is beyond me. I don't think there is a way back for him on this issue now. McDonnell on the other hand has spoken decisively and strongly. I wonder if he is preparing the ground to step up when Corbyn is forced out.

I've not read Johnson's article but surely comparing a way of dress to a letterbox is fanning Islamophobic and is just as bad. The difference is May can't sack BJ, he has already resigned...

Pathetic is generous :wink: It feels like every time Corbyn has to deal with the issue, he manages to make it worse. I don't think Corbyn can work his way back from this (at least for a long long time) as Jewish community don't trust him given everything that has gone on, best he can do is limit further damage and stop it seeping through to public the feeling of "if he can't handle this, how can he handle...".

I don't think McDonnell will take over from Corbyn, he knows his jerk side is an issue when Corbyn's appeal is the good man. Something that has come across is Labour MP's find Corbyn nice but stubborn and frustrating, McDonnell has a real nasty streak but has over time come someone who can be talked to. I think McDonnell does get the issue and that this could hurt all the Corbynites and the dreams he has so he is trying to push Corbyn into handling it better and failing that, at least give whoever the Corbynite successor (Long-Bailey I suspect is current choice) a chance.

Tories have put Boris under investigation (rather then Muslim MP's and peers :wink: ), I'm not sure where that one is going. It will easily be painted, already is, as May crushing freedom of speech so she can crush Boris, the hero of Brexit hopes and dreams :wink:

=====

-Rail prices expected to rise 3.5%

- Office for Students says universities need to do better

-Muslim Council of Britain warns inquiry into Boris can not be a whitewash, says it has been getting hate mail over it's unhappiness on Boris

-Tell Mama project, which monitors anti-Muslim violence, has reported an increase in abuse aimed at women wearing the niqab or hijab over the past week.

-Government pledges to end homelessness by 2027, charities see the 100 million and strategy as big step forward but cross-departmental role needed

-Boris calls for stamp duty, which he considers absurdly high, to be slashed and affordable home target to be dropped but doesn't write about burka incident, offers visiting journalists some tea and shows good humour when pressed for questions

====

-D'Ancona on why Boris comments matter, Lewis Goodall points out a working class man couldn't have said what Boris did, Mathew Norman condemns Boris siding with Bannon and Javid's failure to speak out, Will Gore says Boris shouldn't be allowed to control the narrative

-Aditya Chakrabortty on local government collapse
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Tories have put Boris under investigation (rather then Muslim MP's and peers :wink: ), I'm not sure where that one is going. It will easily be painted, already is, as May crushing freedom of speech so she can crush Boris, the hero of Brexit hopes and dreams :wink:

May has handled it as well as she can I think. The alternative narrative you've outlined does show our nations double standards towards the Tories and Labour. Just another excuse the Corbynista's will use to try and wriggle out of actually confronting the issue.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs