UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:00 pm

-Varadkar fears the full implications of leaving single market and customs union haven't sunk in for May's government, more details needed now

-Corbyn says after 20 months all May could offer was problems and slogans, no solutions other then to tie us into privatization

-Boris on speech "Alas I have not been able to listen in person as I hoped as I have been delayed by our common European winter weather - on which we will remain in full alignment"

-Tories, including Cameron and Osborne, celebrate as day to day spending hits surplus for first time since the crash. Labour figures like McDonnell and Cooper say they missed targets and inflicted great damage on the country

-D'Arcy's Week Ahead with a very busy Monday and Tuesday

-Believed Corbyn urged Lansman not to stand

====

-Reese-Mogg admits there are some concerns with Mayh's speech but now is not time to nitpick, urges EU to respond with warmth rather then aggression, calls Vardkar immature and vote chasing, EU's N.Ireland suggestion risks no deal

-Soubry says May's plan is rather different from Brexit promised

-UKIP lose it's last district council as Thanet switches to Tories with Kippers abstaining

===

-BBC reality check on May's speech, ditto Kuessenberg, Eaton on too late to seek to unite the country

-Bush argues austerity is a political failure

-Freedland has no sympathy for mess May has got herself in

-Ian Jack eight reasons for Brexit

-Forsyth (sun) May's speech, need for no deal preparation, housing
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

-Javid says councils that fail to build the required amount of houses could lose control of planning permission as government set to overhaul planning rules

-Hunt says May's speeches shows we can have frictionless trade with EU and united both sides

-McDonnell says Spring Statement must provide funding for local councils

-One of Boris allies complaining to media that Barwell leaked Boris hard border letter in a bid to undermine Boris before May's big speech

-Carwyn Jones his trip to USA

-Has been noted that May refused to answer yes when asked by German journalist "is Brexit really worth it"

-Sir Philip Green wants truce with Field but his letter seems so petulant that I don't think it will happen

====

-Cohen on contrarian right proving unfit to govern

-Rawnsley on May's speech and she will fail to be peacemaker
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Han » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Just a question. But how tense is the political tension in UK right now about this whole... ... Brexit mess(?) right now.

Is it as bad as US and Trump or as controversial as China and Xi?
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Han wrote:Just a question. But how tense is the political tension in UK right now about this whole... ... Brexit mess(?) right now.

Is it as bad as US and Trump or as controversial as China and Xi?

Not sure about China and Xi bit. Possibly near the Trump level internally?

Death threats aplenty, adding to cultural splits (London vs north has always been there but Brexit added to it), you have main stream politicians and newspapers using words like traitors, mutineers, enemies of the people about judges, other MP's, anyone who doesn't salute the Brexit cause, you have Remainers sneering about the "racist, stupid" Brexiteers. May has salved wounds in last week but her party is often at each other's throats over this. The young aren't too pleased as a (not entirely true) narrative of old voted Brexit and young Remain but the young do feel this is an attack on their culture and has utterly shafted their future with the old people not going to live that long. Some Remainers are aghast at what is to come, some Brexit voters regret what is happening, others sense a great betrayal coming

It is damaging abroad. Allies in the UN have turned on us, EU has taken Brexit to heart and not exactly been helped by Brexiteers (who seem to believe the rest of Europe can't understand English so slagging them off in media is a good idea) or Boris. It is not helping situation in N.Ireland (which till the mid-late 90's, was at civil war) with nobody quite sure how to solve the border issue. Tensions high between all sides of that debate (N.Ireland parties, Ireland, UK, EU, Remainers, Brexiteers), most agree a hard border can not happen as risks deaths returning to the streets but a few Brexiteers recently giving the sense they would damn the Good Friday peace agreement for the glory of Brexit which has gone down badlyy (more mainstream Brexiteers feel EU isn't accepting technology can handle the border issue so are annoyed with EU and that the EU backstop solution would imperil the union of the united kingdom)

Please bear in mind, I am a Remainer who thinks Brexit is a very very very very bad mistake though I have tried to be fair with this post.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Han » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Oh my god. Death threats? Damnnnnn. I dont even know what to say about this. I agree that leaving the EU is a bad move. Especially without a proper long term economical plan in place.

What is the stance of the Royal Family? In fact whats your opinion on the Royal Family as a whole.

Regardless, stay safe and I wish you all the best.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Han wrote:Oh my god. Death threats? Damnnnnn. I dont even know what to say about this. I agree that leaving the EU is a bad move. Especially without a proper long term economical plan in place.

What is the stance of the Royal Family? In fact whats your opinion on the Royal Family as a whole.

Regardless, stay safe and I wish you all the best.

To prominent people rather then myself. There has always been death threats but social media was already leading to rapid rise to be fair, just Brexit has added fuels to that flame and led to polarization at what is meant to be the respecitable ends of things (media and MP's using language they would never have done pre referendum).

Unknown. Elements of the royal family are not as neutral on some matters as they are meant to be but on Brexit they are very carefully neutral which is understandable, they are meant to be for all the nation and above politics. There were rumours in the Sun that the Queen rebuked arch-Europhile MP Nick Clegg so some Brexiteers ran heavily with it with suck up language (the Palace formally complained and got complaint upheld). On the other hand Queen wore the EU colours in the first opening of parliament post Brexit which got Remainers excited

I'm ambivalent on the royal family. I don't think it is a good symbol of the country and they have too much power/influence so I would want to curb them as a PM but there is no popular support to replace them so wouldn't axe them.

Thank you. I am sorry to have made my life sound scarier then it is but the concern is touching and appreciated
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 pm

I think in the immediate aftermath of the vote there was an incredibly toxic atmosphere unlike anything I'd experienced. My father wasn't talking to my Nan and various friends had stopping seeing parents over which way they voted. I think with time the edge has gone away for all but the most stringent supporters of each side within the general public. Within political circles it is dominating everything. Most of my friends will moan if it's bought up now but my news feed is no longer full of constant remoaning. Like Dong I voted to remain although I'm more ambivalent towards Brexit than most my age.

I think the Queen is wonderful and a great ambassador for our country. I don't have the same high opinion of Charles and I do wonder if her death might lead to the end of the monarchy. My particular issue with Charles is that the Monarch of the UK is also head of the Church of England and unlike the Queen it is difficult to see if his Christian faith is sincere.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I think in the immediate aftermath of the vote there was an incredibly toxic atmosphere unlike anything I'd experienced. My father wasn't talking to my Nan and various friends had stopping seeing parents over which way they voted. I think with time the edge has gone away for all but the most stringent supporters of each side within the general public. Within political circles it is dominating everything. Most of my friends will moan if it's bought up now but my news feed is no longer full of constant remoaning. Like Dong I voted to remain although I'm more ambivalent towards Brexit than most my age.

I think the Queen is wonderful and a great ambassador for our country. I don't have the same high opinion of Charles and I do wonder if her death might lead to the end of the monarchy. My particular issue with Charles is that the Monarch of the UK is also head of the Church of England and unlike the Queen it is difficult to see if his Christian faith is sincere.

So Sun Fin's post doesn't get missed.

======

-May urges housebuilders to do with duty while warning housebuilders slow to build could be denied planning permission, bemoans BBC asking about Brexit during housing speech, looking at USA/Canada border

-Convey doubts EU will accept UK's proposal for N.Ireland as doesn't think it protects the entire EU market

-Sturgeon says Irish border plan seems to rely on technologies that don't yet exist and Brexit process has cast interests of Ireland peace

-May pleased that Varadkar will be taking part in EU/UK discussions on Irish border proposal as they seek to see if it can work

-Culture Committee are damning about Team Sky and Bradley Wiggins on a serious charge

-Helen Wheeler says she will resign if she doesn't bring homeless down with latest housing reforms

-Trump's team dismisses May's concerns about tariffs

-Car sales fall again (11th month in row)

-Rumours Hammond had to be persuaded not to say his fav childhood book was 1984

-Corbyn says May's Brexit speech fails to paper over cracks in her party, EU has published detail legal document but UK has not done anything as similarly detailed points to statements of past from her minsters that contradict the speech

-Hammond says we need transition deal by April 1st for sake of airlines, once transitional deal is completed then no deal spending can stop with 700 million already spent

====

-Stephen Kinnock on Trump's tarrifs

-Lord Goldsmith on Charter of Fundemtal Rights

-Lord Williets wants wealth tax on baby boomers

====

-D'Ancona Tory peace won't last

-Tonybee urges business to stand up to Brext

-Simon Jenkins fears May has been captured by housing developers
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Han » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 am

Hmm thanks for your posts guys. I learnt alot about this brexit thing. I always knew it was messy but not this chaotic and borderline disturbing.

Best wishes to all of you.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Han

-May says young are right to be angry at housing situation, wants trade deal with EU to st an example to the world

-Hammond says Irish government couldn't have been more helpful on trying to help sort out Irish border problem

-Lots of eyes on the collapse of former double agent Col Sergei Skripal and his daughter with concerns at Russian assassination. It does feel like everyone is going "obviously we shouldn't rush to conclusions but it is Russia certainly"

-Public Health England demanding food industry cut calories and portion sizes on most popular foods (the industry seems sympathetic to demands)

-Barnier's main adviser Stefaan De Rynck says single market requires more then mutual recognition of standards, business more keen on maintaining integrity of single market then access to UK

-Munroe Bergdorf resigns from Labour's LGBT board due to being tabloid fodder and she is being used as a pawn by the right to tarnish Labour for the sake of anti-trans attitudes.

So not her own racist attitudes, it is all an evil conspiracy.

-Foster backs USA/Canada border as a potential solution, Vardaker has said he can't see how the infrastructure would work for Irish border

-Government launches inquiry into oversight of Co-op bank

-Davies doubts Commons can veto Brexit, looking to see if EU are willing to let Uk stay in some agencies and thinks chances are high that we can, looking at significant mutual professional qualification recognition, government will prepare for talks to collapse, hints number 10 forced him to stand down rather then "row of the summer" with EU

-Sir Cash ask Davies to tell Barnier UK won't be pushed around

-Thornberry "It really would save a lot of time and hassle if Boris preceded every Commons appearance, media interview and memo by saying: 'Please take none of this seriously until my aides have confirmed if I meant to say it.'

-Gardnier wants strong econimic action against Trump from UK and WTO

====

-Umunna on May's Brexit speech and our struggles with snow

-Paul Maskey on why Sinn Feinn won't take it's seats

-Lord Williets says age of tax cuts are over

-IDS says Europe is growing angry with how the Commission is sequencing the talks and not allowing trade talks to start

===

-Bush on trade policy and London polling

-Nick Timothy (sun) calls for more defence spending due to threat of Russia

-Eaton (long read) on Corbyn's inner circle and their rise from exile
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs