UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 am

I agree with the basic principle of tuition fees and if they have to go, I think we would need a drastic restructuring of our universities system (might not be a bad thing but can't it happening). I do think the system needs reform (6% interest rates seems over the top, too many seem to be able to charge 9k, not enough "in exchange for being able to charge this, you must blah blah blah") and vice chancellor pay (ancetodtally, don't have the statistics) seems one of those issues
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:44 pm

The article said the average wage was £250,000 for a vice-chancellor which seems extreme. I would rather have no tuition fees but I can understand the logic. The issue is that most people won't ever pay back their entire loan which loses money in the long term. I also don't think there should be any interest charged on them (beyond inflation) as it should be entirely safe debt.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Sun Fin wrote:The article said the average wage was £250,000 for a vice-chancellor which seems extreme. I would rather have no tuition fees but I can understand the logic. The issue is that most people won't ever pay back their entire loan which loses money in the long term. I also don't think there should be any interest charged on them (beyond inflation) as it should be entirely safe debt.

More then the PM I believe and 6% is ridiculous. I would happily if not above inflation increases as well but I think it is counter to deal with the lack of payments

So who picks up the tab if no tuition fees? The idea is universities got more money so can improve, government still pays a lot of money but has enough paid by graduates to make so many going to university sustainable (we could go back to far less going but I don't think that would sit well) but I think all sides didn't see the wage issue (and how some would refuse taking work that would take them into the paying back) that means so few begin paying back.

Tuition fees may indeed not be the answer but I suspect the answers would not be palatable to wider public.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Lord Adonis argues that it could be raised from foreign students. I'm not sure about that but I would argue that as the loans come from the government and so little of it is getting paid back. The government have essentially already increased the university budget, they just haven't been honest about it.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Lord Adonis argues that it could be raised from foreign students. I'm not sure about that but I would argue that as the loans come from the government and so little of it is getting paid back. The government have essentially already increased the university budget, they just haven't been honest about it.

and fair play to Lord Adonis for going "ok this isn't working" but offering a solution before "tuition fees are bad". I fear tuition ees may indeed also just have brought time and investment before we have to try something else
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:39 pm

-Shapps rails against May's former team

-David Jones says some in cabinet and Whitehall trying to block EU or have a "might as well not have left" version

-Trump promises a powerful trade deal with UK to be agreed very quickly after a 50 minute meeting (overrun by 20), May says China, India and Japan have indicated likewise

-Sunday papers have a lot on David Davies leadership ambitions despite his quote that people should go and have a lie down if they think he is running against May, problem is his former chief of staff Andrew Mitchell has been overheard saying May should go as she has lost authority

-Corbyn draws Durham miners gala's largest crowd since 1960's despite a fair chunk of his MP's being barred from attending for not liking Corbyn enough. It does feel like with every Corbyn sun shining, there is a small black cloud

-Sir Cable feels Corbyn is living on the rise of a bubble at the moment, won't abolish tuition fees but says it needs reform against university cartel and needs to look at further education, can see us cancelling Brexit

-Rayner has picked some issues with tuition fees/university system but Labour and Corbyn's false statements of working class not getting into university due to tuition fees means she is struggling to get the right to be heard. I can't help but feel if Labour accepted tuition fee but demanded major reform, they would be better off in the major argument but electorally would be a major issues as that would risking destroying the youth vote. Says she loves the Labour church and warns deselection is not helpful in fighting the Tories

-Gary Streeter urges his party to go for a long parliament

====

-Ed Straw says Labour need better backbench governance

-Chris Mason on it being difficult to make predictions
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm

-Youguv gives Labour a 6 point lead

-May asks other parties to stop criticizing but to come forward with constructive help on the big issues (though notably when asked, makes clear she will work on security matters with Labour MP's rather then Corbyn), says she still wishes to reform the country, Corbyn quips she should read the Labour manifesto for ideas. Seen a a show of how weak she now is

-Leading MEP's (whose groupings consist of two/thirds of the parliament) led by Verhofstadt warns Brussels parliament will veto Brexit deal unless we up our offering to EU nationals in UK. UK government says some of the accusations are inaccurate

-Lidington blames leadership rumours on "too much sun and too much warm prosecco", Mitchell says reports of his comments are overheated

-Rayner says it would cost 100 billion to wipe out student debt so they can't commit to it

-Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Green Party want inquiry into use of NHS contaminated blood products in the 1970s and 1980s

-Green says we could accept ECJ as part of a transitional deal, no NEC rise, will be doing PMQ's this week

-Prime Minister Turnbull looking forward to trade deals with UK and EU

-Anne Marie Morris suspended after,at pro-Brexit event, saying “Now I’m sure there will be many people who’ll challenge that, but my response and my request is look at the detail, it isn’t all doom and gloom. Now we get to the real n-word in the woodpile, which is, in two years what happens if there is no deal?” She has apologized

=====

-Emma Dent Coad has very rough time on SDP as Andrew Neill explored the logic if her demands for change of inquiry head

-Zahwai concerned at reactions to inquiry heads

- Robert Hannigan, former head of GCH, defends end-to-end encryption.

-Vaizey and Reeves attack leaving Euratom with 8 Tories indicating backing on this. Dominic Cummings says only morons would want to leave Eurotom, Osborne accuses May of overiding Davies and cabinet on Euratom

-Osborne seen as trying to tease Davies into trying to topple May

=====

-Katy Balls wonders if May reaching out to Labour on Brexit might become a problem for Labour

-Philip Collins on how Labour has been reborn in past year

-Dominic Lawson rages against the selfishness of the young middle class

-Kamal Ahmed on the Taylor review

-Kevin Maguire enjoying Corbyn's adoration

-Suzanne Moore on abuse of female politicians and journalists

-Oliver Wiseman feels both sides have had unhealthy attitude on immgration debate but Brexit may cure that
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:10 pm

-Teachers paybody recommends 1% rise due to cap but says it has major concerns

-SNP still pushing for seat at Brexit negotiations

-Verhofstadt feels UK offer would make EU nationals second class citizens

-Rayner getting abuse for her accent

-Trump visit next year

-Taylor report calls for end to cash in hand economy and suggests payment platforms be used, new category of worker called dependent contractor to allow more workers rights, those working in gig economy shouldn't count as self employed, doesn't want zero hour contract bans (but wants low pay commission consider introducing a new minimum wage level for workers on zero-hours contracts) or abolishing of tribunal fees but says fees are too high, calls for debate on how labour is taxed. Labour through Rebecca Long-Bailey and trade unions feel it doesn't go far enough, Lib Dems seem to like it

-Rebecca Long-Bailey says using Uber is morally unacceptable for her (rather then a Labour position) and they need to reform their working practises.

-Boris says EU bill is extortionate and they can go whistle for it, suggests no contingency plan for no deal (which goes against Davies). UKIP delighted, Corbyn calls it silly and arrogant

-Will be inquiry into contaminated blood scandal, presumably to get in front of Diana Johnson's debate (the MP has been generous in praise to May for this)

-Corbyn says May is head of a zombie government

-Davies says they don't expect to settle Irish border process till near end of talks, some in EU want to punish UK but doesn't think it is is realistic, some parts of EU rules and systems may be needing during transition, some abroad take UK newspapers too seriously, he is agree with Hammond

-Rumours Whitehall not happy with idea of Stewart Jackson becoming Davies chief of staff

=====

-Dr Fox did well on Saudi Arabia court case questions, Falklands send Rodger Edwards to tell Lords committee that they fear Brexit and leaving Trearty of Rome will see EU more inclined to support Argentina, Diana Johnson makes good speech seeking contaminated blood debate (and gets it), Lord Harris concerned at complacency about guns, the Bishop of Chelmsford warns of disaffected youths in London

-Loughton hopes Brexit will lead to more generous rules on refugee families

-Tracy Brabin says Berger is a fantastic hard-working MP, says deselections are a distraction and suggests media are stirring

-Sir Cable wants stronger takeover rules, fears a grand coalition for hard Brexit between two frontbenches, Lib Dems can seek 20-25% of population, economy still attached to life support system of cheap money, likes Osborne as a civilized person

-Journalists including the BBC not impressed by May's reluanch, they feel she hasn't really addressed her failure

-Ben Broadbent, deputy governor of Bank of England, fears Brexit will damage UK trade, we will have to do better at creating stuff we currently import, poor will be worse off due to Brexit trade issues but avoids saying anything on interest rates

====

-Ross Clark attacks Taylor report and government attack on self employed, Ryan Bounre as too bureaucratic, Torsten Bell pleased but what it says about overtime

-Trevor Kavangah looks back on May's year as PM

-Former MSP and minister Kenny MacAskill on why Scotland and Spain won't interfere on each other's independence referendums

-Darren Hughes argues electoral system means people vote in a way to game the system
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm

DPMQ's: Thornberry opens with a good natured teasing quiz question before going on Irish land border, Green mostly takes the quiz in good humour but remarks on Labour's record on failing to elect woman leaders (Thornberry has as decent a comeback as can be made on that) but while emphasizing the importance of the questions, fails to answer what happens to it in no deal. Thornberry uses Irish question to push on Brexit splits within cabinet, Green dodges and attacks Labour's negotiating stance of accepting whatever they got (while managing to gently insert shot about nuclear disarmnent which lead to Thornberry joking about "meant to build consensus"). Thornberry brings back to N.Ireland, Green goes on unemployment figures so Thornberry moves well to ask for Treasury assessment on what no deal means for employment and confusing signals on no deal plans, Green promises fiscal risks report tomorrow, Thornberry says if they want crossparty support then need to be more transparent and that talks of transition means no deal threats can't work, Green says she has offered nothing constructive. Thornberry misspeaks and says she is answering the questions and good recovery by joking she is happy to swap places, tries to build case of Brexit choas and is effective near end when she warns it is 20 months to go, they have to get a grip, Green argues they have got to grips already and points to Labour splits.

Winner? Everyone because it was a lot more fun then usual. Amiable exchanges generally, Thornberry boxed Green in with a clever path of questioning and showed good humour, thought on her feet well including recovering when she misspoke but I suspect failure to congratulate unemployment figures were a mistake and lacked her usual killer edge. Green's punches lacked a strong edge partly as he tended to fail to really segue it in in a way that felt natural and his tendency to dodge the question meant he was on backfoot. Blackford asks if repeal bill will diminish devolved powers, Green says they will look to strengthen devolved powers so Blackford asked for all devolved EU powers to come to Scotland, Green mocks their pro EU stance which doesn't quite work.

====

-SNP don't like Taylor report

-Labour, presumably in response to Tories claiming their candidates had had some nasty abuse and Corbyn did nothing about it, says Tories put abuse at the heart of their campaign against Abbott and remind them of the Goldsmith campaign, Momentum say accusations involving them are baseless.

I'm not sure arguing she is incompetent or against her track record is the same as misogynistic abuse and swastika's. Labour might have had a better case arguing the attacks on Corbyn were over the top and helped further poison the atmosphere as part of a wider argument and putting the Goldsmith one front and centre of their complaint. If one was to make a complaint about treatment of Abbott, elements of the media+comedians might be a better place to start. Or at least send people onto TV with better then "pointing out Abbott's record on terrorism" as an example of abuse

-National Audit Office says Justice Department's new GPS tagging system was over ambitious and had high risk procurement strategy

-Government seen as being forced to concede the contaminated blood injury due to Tory MP's support

-David Davies says lack of Stormont is "slightly problematic" for sorting out Ireland border

-Anne Marie Morris backed by local party president Sylvia Russell, wants punishment to be "propionate" for what she sees as a silly comment and not reflecting of Morris true nature

-Sterling falls after Broadbent's comments kills chances of inflation increase then keeps falling, jobless rate falls to 4.5% a 42 year low, employment rate at a record high 75.9%, pay up 1.8% (inflation is 2.9%)

-Minister Lord Gardiner hints punishments for flytipping needs to be stronger

-IFS says austerity can end if Hammond chooses not to end deficit but if he wants to meet target then will have to continue tax rises and spending cuts beyond 2021/22

-German Europe minister, Michael Roth, says it is completely unclear what UK wants from Brexit and UK aren't answering questions, ECJ is key for EU

-Barnier says hard work on Brexit talks start now, needs UK response to 9 EU papers, UK must commit to meeting finical obligations (Verhofstadt agrees on that one) but promises UK won't have to pay a penny more then those, willing to work through holidays

-Byrant put his private members bill up for vote, assault on emergency worker offence won

-OBR not happy with Green's claims they were doing Brexit fiscal risks report, says just a normal fiscal risks report

-standards committee to investigate abuse of parliamentary candidates

-Abbott on abuse
We are talking about mindless abuse and in my case the mindless abuse has been characteristically racist and sexist.And just to outline I’ve had death threats, I’ve had people tweeting that I should be hung if ‘they could find a tree big enough to take the fat bitch’s weight’.There was an EDL affiliated Twitter account BurnDianeAbbott, I’ve had rape threats, described as a pathetic, useless fat black, piece of shit ...
, repeated use of N word
I think the rise in the use of online has turbocharged abuse because 30 years ago, when I first became an MP, if you wanted to attack an MP you had to write a letter, usually in green ink, you had to put it in an envelope, you had to put a stamp on it and you had to walk to the post box.Now they press a button and you read vile abuse which 30 years ago people would have been frightened to even write down.

Simon Hart calls on Corbyn to send a message to the abusive figures on the left and why the abuse is a problem, Paula Sherriff says she has had abuse every day since becoming an MP in 2015, Andrew Percy
I’ve had death threats for a number of years, I have panic buttons, a restraining order against somebody. What is different about what is happening at this election, in which I was subjected to anti-Semitic abuse, my staff were spat at, my boards and property attacked, is it has been politically-motivated.The elephant in the room here is it is being motivated by the language of some of our political leaders when they accuse people of one political side of murder, when they dehumanise them in the way that is happening at the moment.

-Jihadi funding report not fully published for national security reasons....

=====

-Chi Onwurah uses Uber and defends it though says her boss has a point

-Albert Owen on Euratom

-Boris was on good form in Commons, ditto Long-Bailey, Mark Harper makes good attack on Labour econimic record to Chris Evans amusement, Mel Stride says it is cruel of Labour to offer false dreams

-West Streeting on taxi trade

-Cooper says some Labour members are targetting female MP's

-Sir Bottomley doubts there will be prosecutions on contaminated blood as he suspects it was a well meaning mistake but says inquiry must have powers to force companies and public sector to give up papers

-deputy governor Ben Broadbent says not ready to raise interest rates as too much uncertainty as not sure business confidence is strong enough

-Diana Johnson on failure to listen to victims of contaminated blood

-Salmond going on Edinburgh Fringe

-Elizabeth Campbell, the new leader of Kensington and Chelsea council, admits she didn't visit the Grenfell tower before the fire but wasn't her ward to be fair

-Ed Davey says Cameron's government asked him to look at getting rid of fire safety regulations in regards nightdresses and furniture

====

-Kuesenberg with ten thoughts on May's position

-Andreas Whittam Smith fears we lack a Ramsay McDonald

-Behr admires the Taylor report but fears it illsuits the current attitude of politics

-Bush on worried Lib Dems
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:34 pm

-Select Committee chair elections: Business goes to Reeves, Communities and Local Government retained by Clive Betts, Defence held by Dr Julian Lewis, Education goes to Halfon, Environment held by Neil Parish, Foreign Affairs goes to Tugendhat, N.Ireland to Andrew Murrison, Science to Norman Lamb, Transport held by Greenwood, Treasury goes to Morgan and by a somewhat different route: Backbench Business Committee goes to Ian Mearns

Nicky Morgan first female head of Treasury Select Committee and will be seen as Remainers and soft Brexiteers rallying against Reese-Mogg, 2015 attempts to seize control of the foreign committee's had mixed results with Dr Lewis seeing off Mercer but Sir Blunt losing out to Tugendhat. May might need to be concerned at Halfon who she recently sacked has got a major platform on areas he deeply cares about

-David Davies and Steve Baker says they will work with anyone on repeal bill but SNP and Welsh labour have threatened to withhold consent as they fear a powergrab (would still go through, just be awkward). Farron warns repeal bill will be hell for government and will end May as PM, Labour call it power grab for powers that should go to devolved administrations+needs more enforcement mechanisms+needs Eu charter of fundamental rights+commitment to keeping up with EU rights in UK, needs more accountability and no sunset clause, Mundell says this is going to be a power bonanza for devolved administrations and SNP doing their speciality process row

-Government to publish 3 (out of 9 we need to) papers on EU talks: nuclear materials and safeguards issues, ongoing judicial and administrative proceedings, and privileges and immunities.

-National Audit Office warns we may not have customs border system set up in time for Brexit, says Brexit department has been vague when asked about overall preparedness and fears the departmental structure of government may be an issue here

-MP's got 188,000 abusive tweets over three month period

Simon Hart mentions the attacks on the heating and the car of Charlotte Leslie's parents, Ghaia on a candidate whose home address meant people gathered outside the house to spit at the candidate and threaten them while personally "I am a Conservative, I am a woman, I am Asian and I am Muslim and that makes some people very angry and the fact that I had the audacity to stand for public office causes some people offence.", Sheriff says election was worst she could imagine and was mocked up as sanitary towel, Sheppard wants a voluntary code of conduct from political parties

-Barnier meets Corbyn (who says he is ready to take charge of the UK side of talks and shows Labour's growing importance on Brexit, offers Arsenal shirt and Labour manifesto as gift), Sturgeon (says it was a constructive meeting and she pushed for Scotland to remain in single market) and Carwyn Jones but makes clear he will only negotiate with UK government

-Unsurprisingly, opposition parties suspect coverup to protect Saudi Arabia over failure to publish extremism funding report, Home Office denies that and says they never promised to make it public

-Warning, NSFW content (or public) . Dianne Abbott's 2 minutes or so speech on abuse, BBC has video of it and she doesn't spare the details so includes racist and sexist abuse [spoiler]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-40586335/labour-s-diane-abbott-tells-of-racist-and-sexist-abuse[spoiler]

-May admits she shed a tear at election result and was shocked by result (didn't listen to exit poll due to superstition), did see things were turning against her due to things like housing, will be around for next few years but won't commit to fighting 2022 election, admits she didn't set out her vision (ala the Downing Street speech on becoming PM) enough during election campaign, Corbyn is a very good constituency MP and she was impressed by his response to Finsbury Park attack. Seen as first interview where May has come across as human for a long time

-Bank of England expects credit to shrink in summer, credit card and household loan defaults rising. OBR warns government faces nasty finical surprises and is in exposed position and warns Treasury against uncosted giveaways (like lifting public sector paycap), Brexit bill isn't much of an issue compared to long term impact of Brexit, concerned at austerity fatigue, ageing population the biggest future strain on public finances but also clean up of nuclear, Grenfell fallout. Oh and we failed OBR's stress test.

-Heathrow vote delayed till next year

-Brexit department argues ECJ should not rule on UK cases which were not before the court on the day Brexit happens while Davies floats asscoatie membership of Euratom, spends half of his time preparing for Brexit going wrong and parliament can discuss and block any of the statuary instruments in repeal bill

-Labour granted emergency debate for next week about scheduling of Commons business as only been seven votes and no opposition day debates since Queen's Speech

=====

-Vaizey demanding government publish it's legal advice on Euratom as government saying they are legally obliged to leave it due to Brexit, a fair MP's suggesting UK may need new lawyers

-DP's discussion on Euratom with David Jones, Vaziey and Douglas Alexander was pretty good

-Information Commissioner's Office says Virgin showing Corbyn's traingate footage didn't breach rules as was countering accusations that were damaging it's reputation but should have done more to obscure faces of other passengers. That feels like such a long time ago

-Harman wants woman's rights upgraded when EU does that

=====

-D'Arcy on factors that go into select committee elections

-Gina Miller on the abuse she has faced

-John Palmer on how he wants Corbyn to handle Brexit

-Andrew Grice thinks repeal bill will destroy May

-Jonathan White argues Labour must leave single market to implement it's vision for the country

-George Pascoe-Watson feels May is strengthening her grip

-Toynbee attacks government record on nurses

-Bush can't see repeal bill passing in current form

-Ross Clark on OBR a wake up call on how serious our finance problem is
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs