UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:40 pm

Both parties will have to raise tax to deal with the growing debt. Labour won't want to reduce spending but I doubt Tories will worry about that all too much.

I was also surprised at the clear promise on the EU referendum. What if it is all ratified by then?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Cabinet reshuffle!

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury, Minister for Civil Service:
The Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP

Chancellor of the Exchequer:
The Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs:
The Rt Hon David Miliband MP

Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor:
The Rt Hon Jack Straw MP

Secretary of State for the Home Department:
The Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP

Secretary of State for Health:
The Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP

Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform:
The Rt Hon Peter Mandelson

Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs:
The Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP

Secretary of State for International Development:
The Rt Hon Douglas Alexander MP

Secretary of State for Defence:
The Rt Hon John Hutton MP

Leader of the House of Commons (and Lord Privy Seal); Minister for Women and Equality:
The Rt Hon Harriet Harman QC MP

Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government:
The Rt Hon Hazel Blears MP

Secretary of State for Transport:
The Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP

Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families:
The Rt Hon Ed Balls MP

Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change:
The Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions:
The Rt Hon James Purnell MP

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:
The Rt Hon Shaun Woodward MP*

Leader of the House of Lords (and Lord President of the Council):
The Rt Hon Baroness Royall of Blaisdon

Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport:
The Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP

Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills:
The Rt Hon John Denham MP

Chief Secretary to the Treasury:
The Rt Hon Yvette Cooper MP

Secretary of State for Wales:
The Rt Hon Paul Murphy MP

Secretary of State for Scotland:
Jim Murphy MP
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:42 pm

I hate the way Tony Blair's been treated. Untill the Iraq war he was being pouted as the best Priminister England had seen since argueably Thatcher. Then he makes one desicion that is seen by the majority as wrong (I agree with the War in Iraq) and suddenly the whole country turned on him.

However Brown isn't that bad replacement, his had really bad luck coming in as the market crash's giving him negitive points before he begins. However if Cameron gets in I'll move, or join an assaination attempt. His the worst thing that could happen to the country. He never has a policy longer then 5 minuites before its contridicted to gain support from someone else. Clegg is too quiet we need some opposition with morales and if they were being active they could get support and certainly be the countrys number 2, if not number 1 party. *sigh* When I can vote I'll vote for the Lib Dem's but I'm still entairning the idea of getting involved in politics myself...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Don't forget the major flooding, last summer, and the conveniently timed "intelligence reports left lying around" reports.

On the Blair and Iraq issue; he gave false reasons to go there and when the Monarch, which so seriously upholds military tradition and being the head of the army anyway, showed concern at the stretching of forces on two fronts.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:09 pm

I think the military can muddle through. She should be more worried about the Church, an institution which, thanks to her stewardship, may soon cease to exist (except in Africa). Meanwhile I see sharia courts are in full effect. Good going, mother country. Still upholding that long tradition of religious civil war. We put a stop to those hateful, Saudi-directed tribunals over here, but now that they've established a beachhead it's only a matter of time before we're facing them again.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:17 pm

F***!

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.

Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case

It's ok, our liberating westernization of their women shall soon have them refusing to acknowledge these mock courts.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:30 pm

This was a sickening read...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:47 pm

I have confidence that principles will be won through spirit. Enshrining it in law doesn't necessarily work. These courts will die out, just as the requirement the PM be a Protestant.

Parliament won't be recessing for Ramadan. :)

Hey, wait. Doesn't the US give Jews Beth Din?
Last edited by Ranbir on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm

These courts will have to be stomped out, as they won't die of their own accord...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm

I edited. Cause I think Jews have this for themselves everywhere. :)
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs